Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Stupid Idea? Tubeless related
  • uwe-r
    Free Member

Call me stupid but…

If the idea of tubeless is to remove the weight / feel of the inner tube and prevent / minimise punctures but the downside is the faff, why not, have a very thin latex tube, with a profile similar to a tyre and pre filled with some sealant (think condom like tube complete with spaff).

The pre filled Johnny tube (as it will now be called) would have a regular valve and set up would be very simple. Inflating would fill and pressurise the void in the tyre / rim without the need for all the faff and paraphernalia of tubeless and without (i assume) the weight and feel of a standard tube. Punctures if they rip both tyre and tube could still be sealed by the spaff.

(steps back and awaits ridicule)

lucien

Stupid – there I said it

Rorschach
    Free Member

DrP

Good thinking at the back….. But what happens if a thorn punctures the “Johnny” and it simply deflates…..
    Where is all the remaining latex….?? IN THE JOHNNY! A tiny bit might come out the thorn hole, but you need the latex free within the tyre……

DrP

seavers
    Free Member

You sir, are a ‘johnny tube’.

uwe-r
    Free Member

DrP, In my simple mind, the thorn issue is no different from a normal tubeless set up. Sealant is in there and would seal the hole in the same way as a thorn through a tyre.

seavers
    Free Member

There are already ‘slime tubes’ and you can if you wish put Stans in your inner tube. I don’t get how you special tube would be any different.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s been done.

Although they werent’ johnny thin.

scaredypants

I’d have thought your johnny’d have to be well baggy for it not to split wide open when punctured if it was ded thin

If it was, it’d be ba bastard to install without nipping it under the bead

seavers
    Free Member

So get an Über light tube and deal with the extra 4 grams.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I was thinking a very thin and overly baggy tube would not pinch flat, and if it did it might seal. Getting stuck under the bead might be a problem.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Have a wazz and a dump before riding.

JohnnyPanic

bigyinn – Member

All well & good, not sure how that would help seal your punctures though?

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d have thought your johnny’d have to be well baggy for it not to split wide open when punctured if it was ded thin

Doesn’t matter. Once the tyre is up, the tube is redundant.

richmtb

The basic premise is flawed though.

Tubeless doesn’t need to be a faff. So do it right and get all the benefits without the faff

robsoctane
    Free Member

sounds good to me but I’m uninitiated so far, even with Arch EX. reason being, I’m worried that I can’t swap tires easily… I’m always swapping tires.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Johnny Panic – Member
    bigyinn – Member

All well & good, not sure how that would help seal your punctures though?
    Depends on where?
    And it is easier to swap tyres, no tubes to worth about 🙂

scaredypants

Doesn’t matter. Once the tyre is up, the tube is redundant.

the only attraction I can see of this is that it’s less messy/wateful when you take a tyre off. you’d lose that if the johnny’s potentially split and there’s jizz everywhwere just like normal tubeless

Also cost – reusing them would clearly work out cheaper

uwe-r
    Free Member

Molgrips has got it. The Johnny is a vehicle for getting and keeping the jizz in without the mess and if it doesn’t split no mess on taking the tyre off / reusable.

The less faff stems from the Johnny converting any rim tyre combo to tubeless ready – you would not need tubeless ready rims or a special strip. It would also minimise all the other potential leek points on a tubeless set up i.e. through the tyre wall or the seal between rim and bead. It would also inflate without any problems first time with any pump.

FuzzyWuzzy

Even latex tubes pinch flat though + you’ll have added rolling resistance from the tube (not that it really matters). Latex tubes also leak a lof of air so presumably a lot of the sealant is going to leak from your ultra-light ones and harden between tube and tyre? Not a wholly bad idea but as I’ve not yet had problems fitting tubeless tyres and rarely change them I don’t think I’d bother even if it was a product on the market.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Stupid Idea? Tubeless related’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM