Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • ‘Stupid’ driver blocked ambulance
  • twohats
    Free Member

Remember zaskar, the grass ain’t greener, no matter where you move to…

user-removed
    Free Member

How do people feel about the reintroduction of the belt in schools?

I’m just old enough that I remember being belted – it was for a fairly minor misdemeanour, but was probably the result of p1ssing off my teacher over many months. I’m quite sure I deserved it….

There were a few psycho teachers who over-used it, but given the right controls, it’s an extremely effective deterrent. Is there any going back?

trail_rat
    Free Member

that woman should be hung drawn and quartered ….

im only 23 and i see a huge difference between my age group and the youngsters even 2-3 years younger than me. Quite worrying really – gonna drag this country to its knees eventually. If we are going to have the american culture we need to do away with the dole make the **** work or starve !

Monday morning “battle” to get to work is fun (i work near the local courts) and seeing the amount of dross there on monday morning makes me wonder if anyone in this town/country actually has a job except me !

SamThomas
    Free Member

How do people feel about the reintroduction of the belt in schools?

I think it would be brilliant. I finished school 2 years ago, ended up getting 12 B’s at GCSE. I should really have got all A’s but half the time classes were just spent with the teacher trying to get control.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I’d propose a compulsory, temporary sterilisation of all infant boys. Then, when they can prove through various criteria that they’re a decent member of society, they can have a reversal of the procedure.

Should significantly reduce the ever-growing underclass in the UK in just a couple of generations.

TheDoog
    Free Member

Wow, a kind of eugenics i suppose, wasn’t Hitler having a bash at that??

Coyote
    Free Member

Anyway, about this bloke who got banned for 4 speeding offenses…

grumm
    Free Member

Yeah it’s a shocking story but I’m sick of all the whining about this country. We are extremely lucky to live here and be able to spend our time biking and sit on our arses posting on internet forums.

Half the world, nearly 3 billion people, live on less than $2.50 a day. 25,000 people die every day of hunger or hunger related diseases. Get a **** grip, seriously

This country is a sinking ship and I’m bailing out…

Bye then.

I keep saying that this country is screwed and getting worse on a daily basis

Off you go then.

nukeproof
    Free Member

FFS, the original poster makes one rather flippant comment about ‘bailing out’ and a few of you are like a dog with a bone waiting to denounce whatever ‘utopia’ he decides to say 🙄

JulianA
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Bye Zaskar – dunno where you will find your nirvana tho

TJ in standard ‘it’s the same wherever you go’ posts shock.

If he every bothered to cross the borders of his beloved Scotland and travel to almost anywhere on the continent he would realise that things are far more civilised across the channel.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Julian – I have travelled widely. I have been to every European country except the Baltic states, I have travelled in Asia, South America and the antipodes.

Things are different in different countries and I am a francophile. HOwever I know of no country that does not have social problems. You don’t tend to see these on your annual holiday but they are there.

I just am fascinated to know where Zaskar thinks is so much better a place to live.

Sweden perhaps?

brack
    Free Member

It is not where you live
    It is HOW you live
    Where you live!!

Lummox

not as extreme an example

but the majority of people on this forum in their own way will impede an emergency vehicle at some point. In my line of work (firefighter) we have extreme difficulty moving vehicles to addresses/incidents due to peoples poor parking, we know that parking is limited but with a little forethought vehicles can be parked up enabling emergency vehicles to still have full access to roads and streets.

I lose count of the number of times i have had to run down roads carrying everything instead of being able to pull up outside, this delay leads to a further delay getting you out the house/putting out the fire etc etc

Please just have a think and a quiet word with the neighbours if they’re parking without thinking

lummox

JulianA
    Free Member

@TJ – Yes, there are social problems in other places, but they appear to be getting worse here.

If by your rather patronising ‘You don’t tend to see these on your annual holiday but they are there’ you are suggesting that my ‘annual holiday’ (several trips abroad every year to different places, actually) is the only thing on which I base my opinions you are quite wrong.

We have several friends who either have or are emigrating, and it’s not my aftershave that’s making them go…

grumm
    Free Member

they appear to be getting worse here

If you read the Daily Mail.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Sorry Julian – not intended to be patronising. Merely to point out that many people bases these sorts of decisions on idealised views not on the reality.

My point merely is that the grass allways appears greener but social problems are there and very similar in most similar European countries as well as the former colonies. Moving from London to rural France would give you a better quality of life perhaps – but is rural france any better than rural UK?

grumm
    Free Member

I’d be interested to know when the golden age of zero crime or social problems was in the uk that we are apparently declining from. Victorian times perhaps? Everything was great then.

People throughout history have harked back to some mythical earlier time when everything was rosy. Yes some things in this country are getting worse, some are getting better. Overall this is an extremely comfortable place and time to be living and people should stfu whining or just get on with it and go.

Tbh the main reason I would think of emigrating is all the whining.

JulianA
    Free Member

Well I live in rural UK, and there are drugs fairly easily available in the village, our Coop has been raided and we have a large town quite nearby which makes me think that the large and expensive houses here (ours is neither by comparison to some round here!) could easily become targets for the criminal classes in said town.

Plus I don’t think that other countries have the same nanny state and surveillance societies that we have here. Wherever you live in the UK you may soon be forced to shell out for an ID card, you may well soon have to provide the government with every minute detail of your travel plans and you may well be spied on by your neighbours and reported for putting your rubbish out on the wrong day, to give some examples off the top of my head of why I think this country is rubbish.

It’s absolutely beautiful where I live, but I am still affected by issues which arise here that don’t appear to arise in other countries.

grumm
    Free Member

FFS put down your Daily Mail for a second, get a teensy little bit of perspective and get on with your life. Jesus.

If that’s really the worst things you have to worry about…

Oh and maybe you would like to check out the list of countries that already have ID cards. Cross them off your list of places you might want to emigrate to.

JulianA
    Free Member

grumm – Member
    FFS put down your Daily Mail for a second

What Daily Mail? – I don’t read that trash. I am telling it how I see it where I live.

Why don’t you think about what I have said rather than just rubbishing it? Don’t you have the ability to think about someone else’s point of view?

You, sir, are an arse in my book, which I expect makes us quits.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I really believe that a similar town in any of the major European countries will have similar issues – in some cases worse.
    And as Grumm says – find somewhere that doesn’t have ID cards

grumm
    Free Member

Half the world, nearly 3 billion people, live on less than $2.50 a day. 25,000 people die every day of hunger or hunger related diseases.

Plus I don’t think that other countries have the same nanny state and surveillance societies that we have here. Wherever you live in the UK you may soon be forced to shell out for an ID card, you may well soon have to provide the government with every minute detail of your travel plans and you may well be spied on by your neighbours and reported for putting your rubbish out on the wrong day, to give some examples off the top of my head of why I think this country is rubbish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_identity_card_policies_by_country

I’m rubbishing your point of view because I think its nonsense and I actually find it quite offensive, sorry.

Don’t you have the ability to think about someone else’s point of view?

Did you think about my point of view?

JulianA
    Free Member

Let’s not do the ID card thing again: we’ve done it ad nauseum on here before, I’m sure.

I think your point of view has some validity however since I can’t do a lot directly about the people living on less than $2.50 a day or dying of hunger I should at least like to try to improve my standard of living.

Hey, if everybody wanted to leave the UK we might end up in the same place, and I’m sure you wouldn’t like that! So let me dream of going somewhere that I consider more civilised and you can stay put if you like. Each to their own, huh?

It puzzles me that there is a strong faction on this forum who instantly rubbish anyone who dares to say that there is anything wrong in Britain and wants to leave. At least I shan’t meet them if I go abroad!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The reason is that some of us simply don’t buy “the grass is greener”

Of course there is plenty wrong in Britain – but these things exist in similar countries as well. I know of 2 families that have emigrated and returned for a variety of reasons they found the other places they lived (cyprus and spain) unpleasant. but in both cases it was the healthcare that brought them back.

I honestly think you are wrong on both counts – Britain is getting better – crime significantly down for example and other countries have the same issues Gang trouble in urban France, neo nazis in Germany, gun crime in Switzerland, racial unrest in Scandinavia to give a few examples

grumm
    Free Member

I think your point of view has some validity however since I can’t do a lot directly about the people living on less than $2.50 a day or dying of hunger I should at least like to try to improve my standard of living.

No problem with that, just that you should realise your standard of living is already pretty damn good.

I lived in Vancouver for 6 months (on a year out before uni) – amazing place, but it also had pretty severe social problems. Loads of people who emigrate end up coming back because they find the grass isn’t always greener.

brack
    Free Member

I lose count of the number of times i have had to run down roads carrying everything instead of being able to pull up outside, this delay leads to a further delay getting you out the house/putting out the fire etc etc

Why’s that mate? Is it more than your 10 fingers?

Certainly can’t be more than 20…that would make you busy and come on we all know that aint the case 😆

duntmatter
    Free Member

there are drugs fairly easily available in the village

No?! Really?

our Coop has been raided

The horror! It’s like some post-apocalyptic vision of hell.

and we have a large town quite nearby

I feel your pain. All those people.

the criminal classes in said town

Are you a Victorian gentleman?

I am still affected by issues which arise here that don’t appear to arise in other countries.

How does any of the above affect you, other than on a psychological level determined by your own response to ‘ghosties’? Is it like when a horse sees a crisp packet in the breeze and bolts?

twohats
    Free Member

I just am fascinated to know where Zaskar thinks is so much better a place to live.

Sweden perhaps?

Well as a resident of Sweden for the last 3 years, it ain’t exactly utopia! Yes, whilst the standard of living is better than the uk, people are generally more civilised, less vandalism etc, crime rates are rising fast here.
    Gun crime is huge and getting worse. In the last year, the area where we live (quite a good area too) has had 4 fatal shootings and numerous non fatal shootings.
    Organised crime goes pretty much unchecked.
    Gang crime is spiralling out of control.
    Biker gangs control most of the extortion rackets in all the big cities. If you own a bar or restaurant, you WILL be paying protection to one of the gangs.
    All the while the police have their heads in the sand and are busy cracking down on normal people doing a couple of km over the speed limit, or trying to catch “morning after” drinkers through increased random breathalyser checkpoints, whilst the real crime goes unchecked as the country slowly slides down the pan.
    Sweden, a nice place to live, but for how much longer….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cheers twohats – rather makes my point

twohats
    Free Member

I should also mention that I can’t wait to move back to the UK!
    The grass really isn’t any greener (and the beer is rubbish too).

pantsonfire
    Free Member

My partner is Canadian and she loves this country in fact she is now officially more English than me and to prove it she went on a hen night last night and came home with one shoe a mobile that doesnt work after being dunked in fizzy wine and a big bruise on her bum.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘‘Stupid’ driver blocked ambulance’ is closed to new replies.