Home Forums Chat Forum Stuff that makes you disproportionately cross

Viewing 40 posts - 1,201 through 1,240 (of 2,762 total)
  • Stuff that makes you disproportionately cross
  • Watty

The singletrackworld forum, as it does on occasion. 

Kramer
    Free Member

Youtubers promoting helicopter uplift.

Cougar

“Influencers.”

I know this is low-hanging fruit but bear with me.

There was a lass on one of these doctory programmes on TV yesterday evening. She’d gone for a malaria vaccination or some such. Made a fuss about how much she hated needles, insisted on filming the whole process on her phone. There was a “still to come” clip of her on a previous episode, I thought she was in childbirth.

It’s Cult of Celebrity only without the celebrity. People jumping on YouTube to watch these narcissists when they could watch it on national television.

See also, “reaction” videos, monetising someone else’s original content by going “ooh!” and “ah!” over the top of it.

Therefore ‘are’ doesn’t feel right.

Whether it “feels” right is neither here nor there. Plenty of English grammar is counterintuitive.

Would you say “Tesco are selling apples…” or “Tesco is selling apples…”? The former sounds right but the latter are right.

fasgadh
    Free Member

Fiddling about with clocks.

MoreCashThanDash

Fiddling about with clocks.

I wish you wouldn’t do that…

Oh, clocks. Sorry.

onewheelgood

Having just driven 490 miles to Inverness, I’m going to nominate people who refuse to use their cruise control. Gits.

slowoldman

I’m going to nominate people who refuse to use their cruise control.

I don’t. I haven’t got one.

timmys

People calling tasting menus “taster” menus.

mattyfez

See also, “reaction” videos

See also ‘unboxing videos’ on youtube..

Nice bit of protective foam in this one, but dissapointed at the quality of the vac-wrap plastic… etc..

The product either arrived intact or not!

CountZero

“Influencers.”

Don’t get me started on them! There must be an isolated island somewhere where the influencers can be put once they’ve all been rounded up, with its own intranet where they can influence each other. If ever there was a subset of humanity that can genuinely be regarded as utterly useless, they’re it.

kayak23

Pubs called Eating Houses.
    Get tae ****

kayak23

A place near me on the Fosseway that calls itself a ‘lifestyle emporium’

Screenshot_20231028-203012

Is it even possible to be more Juan Key? Why don’t they just say, shit you don’t need?

This has ensured that I will never, ever, ever enter this place. Awful.

thelawman

Would you say “Tesco are selling apples…” or “Tesco is selling apples…”?

The latter, obviously.
    On which subject, people who call the place Tescos make me (a bit) cross too. My SIL, before she moved away from Reading, insisted she worked at Asdas. Nope.

Murray

Would you say “Tesco are selling apples…” or “Tesco is selling apples…”?

What if the apple seller is Sainsbury’s? Sainsbury’s’s selling apples?

molgrips
    Free Member

Would you say “Tesco are selling apples…” or “Tesco is selling apples…”? The former sounds right but the latter are right.

I think both is right. Tesco are both a single entity and a group of people.

Poopscoop

Twitter. Deleted my account in the end.

mattyfez

‘lifestyle emporium’ = pulling weeds out of the gravel 24/7/365

Cougar

people who call the place Tescos make me (a bit) cross too.

Tesco’s, obvs. This is almost forgivable, it’s a store belonging to Tesco.

How do you feel about “the doctor/s/’s/s'”

Cougar

I think both is right. Tesco are is both a single entity and a group of people.

FTFY.

“Tesco” is a company, it is a single entity. You wouldn’t say that “my train are arriving shortly” because there’s a group of people onboard. This is almost the Lego argument. The groups are Tesco’s employees or Tesco’s stores.

fasgadh
    Free Member

What’s cruise control?  Stopping yourself stopping off at your local badger watching place?   I don’t have one but do use the A9. Shall I go to Hell?

Oh and the apostrophe – a seemingly random device to make writing harder (see also “guess the vowel” and “how many letters?”

zomg

apo’strophe?

Cougar

The thing with the apostrophe is,

If you don’t know how to use it – and it’s really not difficult – then why not just leave it out? A missing apostrophe is far preferable to just randomly sticking them in words. “isnt” is better than “is’nt.”

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Isn’t dream’t a contraction of dreamed? (I’m really the wrong person to ask mind. Left to my own devices I’d have double letters in there somewhere)

mattyfez

As much as dislike grammar Nazis… that picture is realy making my eye-balls twitch’

BoardinBob

Tyson fury getting that decision 

Cougar

Isn’t dream’t a contraction of dreamed?

No.

Dreamt is British English, Dreamed is US English, though either are considered acceptable. Dream’t is just gibberish.

colournoise

The forum not showing my replies that it seems to have accepted.

politecameraaction
    Free Member

I think both is right. Tesco are both a single entity and a group of people.

Wrong.

molgrips
    Free Member

Tesco is not a group of people?

scaredypants

If the big Tesco and the little one down the road are selling apples, then Tescos are indeed, selling apples 😁

Cougar

Tesco is selling apples from two of its stores. Or if you prefer, two Tesco stores are selling apples.

I was thinking about this earlier (because I’m a sad sack). If you were visiting your sister you might say “I’m going to my sister’s.” Then we hear the cry of every apostrophe pedant everywhere: “your sister’s what?” However, ‘her house’ is clearly implied here. Saying “I’m going to my sister” would be weird, it sounds like you’re going to attend to her somehow.

So by turns is it not correct to say “I’m going to Tesco’s” because it is implied that you mean Tesco’s store? “Tescos” is as wrong as Legos (where the correct plural is Lego bricks).

Maybe. 😁

sirromj

Wasn’t it dreampt, or did I dream that up*?

*rhetorical question as I can use the internet.

Kramer
    Free Member

The Post Office scandal.

politecameraaction
    Free Member

If the big Tesco and the little one down the road are selling apples, then Tescos are indeed, selling apples

*Tescoes.

Clover

I’m not sure you can be disproportionately cross about the Post Office scandal. Rage at least is completely reasonable. And despair. 

scaredypants

*Tescoe’s ?

Kramer
    Free Member

I’m not sure you can be disproportionately cross about the Post Office scandal. Rage at least is completely reasonable. And despair.

Agreed.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

People who say 24/7/365

**** stupid arseholes. What the **** is it supposed to mean. 24 hours a day seven days a week for 7 years and 1 week?

Kramer
    Free Member

Does anyone know if there’s been a thread on the Post Office scandal?

mattyfez

People who are bad at elocution, but pedantic with maths.

Did something happen at the post office?

Viewing 40 posts - 1,201 through 1,240 (of 2,762 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.