Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Student Loans
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Any decent alternatives to the official Student Loan? I don’t qualify as I already have a degree and the second degree I want to do isn’t engineering, computer-related, or healthcare.

Thanks.

Andy_K

I’d imagine the best you could do was tarting yourself around all the 0% credit cards. Lots offering around 2 years interest free atm.

Are you going full time?

mikey74
    Free Member

No, part-time.

Andy_K

If you’re confident you can pay them off promptly go CC, otherwise it’ll be secured personal loan, or bank of M+D!

Have a look at Moneysavingexpert.

jekkyl

slip into the lectures & pretend like you’re supposed to be there, do study online and just pay for the exams? nope, I’ve got nothing.

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I’d rather not use CCs, and bank of M&D have already said they don’t have the money.

StuF

Not sure if this is any use:
    https://www.gov.uk/postgraduate-loan/overview

My better half is using this to finance her masters.

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks. I know about the Postgrad, but my Uni doesn’t currently offer a Masters I want to do and I’m not sure just how useful going straight into the Masters would be, professionally: Most jobs seem to require a BSc.

TheFlyingOx

The Open University do a monthly payment scheme for their degrees. Depending on the degree chosen there are various collaborations with traditional universities go for lectures, workshops, etc. Might be worth a look.

mikey74
    Free Member

The thing is, Ox, is I’m already half-way through a 2 year Certificate of Higher Ed @ Birkbeck and I’m looking into how I can upgrade to the full BSc.

goldfish24

Look into ‘career development loans’ from your bank. It’s just an unsecured personal loan but you might find better rates.

allymcmurdo
    Free Member

As above, try the career development loan route. No repayments until you completely your study. My other half is in a similar boat next September but has decided the Bank of Husband is the best and cheapest option.

mikey74
    Free Member

Career development loans only go up to £10,000.

Andy_K

If you need a lot of money You may need to reassess your options, e.g. full time work and evening study. Obviously this will take much longer. Or move to a cheaper part of the country…..

I suppose the nuclear option would be to extend the house mortgage if you have one!

mikey74
    Free Member

full time work and evening study

That’s what I am doing, and I don’t have a mortgage.

TheFlyingOx

The thing is, Ox, is I’m already half-way through a 2 year Certificate of Higher Ed @ Birkbeck and I’m looking into how I can upgrade to the full BSc.

http://www.open.ac.uk/study/credit-transfer/
    Cert HE gives you 120 credits = 1/3 of a Bachelor’s degree.

I know it might be a long-winded way, and the OU might not even offer the course you want, but if all else fails it’s a way you can convert without forking out ££££s all at once.

mikey74
    Free Member

@ Ox: Funnily enough I looked at the OU before I started this course and decided the lack of hands-on practical work would be a problem.

Last week, my department at Birkbeck gave a day long introductory session to a group of around 15 people, some of whom had been studying with the OU for years (certainly longer than I’ve been studying Geology). I was there helping to demonstrate the microscopes and some of the OU students hadn’t got a clue, which kinda proves my original theory.

I have also heard that the OU are cutting back on their Earth Sciences department, meaning an end to field trips and difficulties with course literature.

I’m happy at Birkbeck, and want to continue there, so I’m trying to make it work.

thomthumb
    Free Member

someone in student services/ support should be able to help with this.

you might need to go in and make yourself known.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Student Loans’ is closed to new replies.