Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)
  • Student burns £20 in front of homeless man
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

I think he has demonstrated and communicate TOry values rather well

zilog6128

@jimjam, not to derail the thread but drunk driving is only bad cos it’s illegal? I can’t actually imagine many things that more aptly

demonstrates a sneering contempt for other people

In contrast this presumably drunken stunt, whilst abhorrent, at least didn’t have the possibility in ending up in death/tragedy. Hopefully the guy will realise that he’s been a monumental bell-end, and end up bettering himself.

jimjam
    Free Member

zilog6128 – Member

@jimjam, not to derail the thread but drunk driving is only bad cos it’s illegal? I can’t actually imagine many things that more aptly

demonstrates a sneering contempt for other people

[/quote]

I was too young to drive when it was more socially acceptable to drive when drunk or after a few beers, but from speaking to people older than me it appears it was very much the done thing 20-30 years ago and didn’t carry anything like the stigma it does today.

I mentioned drunk driving speculatively, considering a number of STW posters are in their 50s and 60s. Speeding would probably have sufficed for what I was trying to say.

mefty
    Free Member

Pre-tied bow tie – frightful.

bodgy
    Free Member

Whilst this guy is patently an utter arse, The KLF burnt a million squid as ‘art’. On national TV.

Coyote
    Free Member

The KLF burnt a million squid as ‘art’.

Good point well made. That money could have been put to damn good use.

nickc

dunno, i bet i’m not alone in being glad mobile phones and the associated ability to record & share everything, for ever wasn’t around when I was younger and stupider.

indeed, but here’s the thing, both my kids have grown up in an era where the ability to record everything is possible and more importantly has always been a part of their lives. As it undoubtedly is for this guy, they live their lives in a public way that most of us would not want particularly. He knows full well that a stunt like this is going to be filmed, it’s the point after all, to have evidence…to pass whatever idiotic initiation, or bet or drunken boast…

While I agree that growing up is all about making mistakes, I think most kids know that burning money in front of a homeless person is no way of behaving?

nickc

That money could have been put to damn good use.

is Art not a good use then?

Cougar

“He went out a few nights later around Cambridge with one of his friends to do the homeless run and give out tea, coffee and sandwiches to them.

That’s good, at least.

mattsccm
    Free Member

However he does have as much right to do such a thing as you lot do to judge him 😆

km79
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus

what did you do beat up the homeless or burn their sleeping bag?

I’ve took the piss out of jakies begging for money before, I’ve also hurt people out of pure jealousy, humiliated friends out of silly competitiveness, laughed at things/people I shouldn’t have and no doubt numerous other things.

Dickish behavior no doubt, but at least I’m honest about it. I’ve went on to lead a good life as a fairly decent human being. I can only wonder how it would have turned out if I got caught on camera and it went viral though.

His mum said: “It’s been stressful. I’m starting to panic because I can’t get a hold of him.

Maybe the guy has gone and done something to himself as a result. No doubt there would be some who would say it’d serve him right.

teasel
    Free Member

Zilog has a point, Jimjam, and this…

Speeding would probably have sufficed for what I was trying to say.

..is still tantamount to

a sneering contempt for other people

Think about the danger when someone speeding flies round a corner and hits someone assessing a situation based on the current speed limit of that stretch. It’s inconsiderate, regardless. Selfish, too. Sneering is always optional…

bodgy
    Free Member

is Art not a good use then?

I can think of better. Torching cash as a ‘performance’ is totally self indulgent. TBH, I’d have a lot more respect if they’d have done all the publicity guff and then given the money to a grassroots charitable cause at the last minute.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Think about the danger when someone speeding flies round a corner and hits someone assessing a situation based on the current speed limit of that stretch. It’s inconsiderate, regardless

I think what matters and differentiates this persons actions is the intent.

jimjam
    Free Member

teasel

Zilog has a point, Jimjam, and this…

No he doesn’t. He’s moralizing based on something I said which was intended only to speculate as to whether illegal = worse purely from a point of perception. Fine, if you want to be obtuse lets start a thread and debate whether doing 71mph on an empty motorway is morally worse than burning a £20 note in front of a homeless person.

DezB
    Free Member

…is the intent.
    nothing

cookeaa

Whilst this guy is patently an utter arse, The KLF burnt a million squid as ‘art’. On national TV.

An interesting point actually, and it says a lot about wider society, the media, how we choose to interpret such acts and what place Money/wealth and the perception of “privilege” occupies in our world…

You’ve got different scales there obviously, but also you need to examine the intent/message behind either act…

Were the KLF pointing and laughing at those less fortunate than themselves?
    Apparently they themselves weren’t too clear what statement they were making but they buggered off to a Hebridean Island and did it relatively quietly…
    If it was a statement about wealth, the excessive importance of money or inequality then that was lost somewhere along the way. If they were simply being a bit “Rock’n’Roll” again it wasn’t quite showy enough for that…

There’s always the argument that giving the money to a charity in either instance would send an utterly different message, it’s relatively easy to show the world your philanthropic deeds and recieve mostly positive vibes in return, its quite another thing to consciously and publicly destroy wealth and put it beyond anyone else’s use…

You could argue both are rather self involved acts, and you’d be right, but this Tory student’s had a distinctly more malicious feel to it in many people’s eyes. The sums involved are (perhaps strangely?) less of a concern than the meaning…

perchypanther
    Free Member

The KLF burnt a million squid as ‘art’. On national TV.

It’s Ok. Homeless people don’t have televisions.

teasel
    Free Member

Fine, if you want to be obtuse

Not my intention.

I still think speeding is a poor example. It’s invariably deliberate and if done without thought then maybe time to review one’s ability to drive safely. Or with due care and attention etc.

I get the difference but both are selfish, stupid acts. I see little point in distinguishing between two scenarios that affect other folk in a negative fashion. Sure, the note burner is a contemptuous arse but so is that **** speeding because he’s late or maybe just because he wants to test his car and take his favourite corner as fast as Moss/Schumy/Current Guy. Many don’t see a problem with that until someone gets killed.

I understand the distinction you’re trying to make but I simply don’t agree.

nickc

Edit, cookeaa has made the point eloquently

Jamie
    Free Member

Years, more like.

Give Jon Ronson something to write about.

bodgy
    Free Member

Well said cookea.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Sounds like a case of an out of character act incited by the group he seems to hang out with.

Sadly being led astray is part of youths bewildered outlook.

Maybe this act committed has instilled more moral consciousness in him than not having done it.

I hope the lad centres himself and surrounds himself with family, the outfall of this could be very sad for months and years to come.

ctk
    Free Member

bodgy – Member

I’m sure I read that it was a hoax. They also nailed £50k to a framed bit of board and advertised it for £50k !

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Sounds like a prick

bodgy
    Free Member

Bill Drummond talks about burning one million pounds Jan 2014

“People ask me why, but it’s for other people to decide why two blokes would burn a million quid.”

Less than helpful, in fact a bit of a cop-out.

EDIT: Apologies OP, didn’t mean to hijack the thread.

DezB
    Free Member

The KLF thing has no relevance whatsoever. Apart from the involvement of fire, there is no connection. You might as well start bringing up other ways people publicly waste money. Hey, what if a homeless guy goes into an internet cafe and reads the thread about how much we spend on bikes?! All totally irrelevant to a crap story about some kid showing off and being a dick.

D0NK

I think a lot would agree with you and I think all that highlights is what a crappy attitude we collectively have towards driving and the normalising of bad driving.

Sorry officer/m’lud, I didn’t intend to lose control of my car and indavertently kill someone, so I’ll be right to drive next week yeah? Hardship etc etc

pcb
    Free Member

I’d be interested to know if the reaction would be the same if it was some chav from a crappy northern town burning the £20…..

mudshark
    Free Member

He made a mistake then attempted to make up for it.

How many others can say the same?

cookeaa

I’d be interested to know if the reaction would be the same if it was some chav from a crappy northern town burning the £20…..

Or a premiership footballer, or a London banker, or a coal miner, or a rail worker etc, etc… It’s just whataboutery.

I assume in every one of these “what if” scenarios they’re still waving that burning note in a homeless persons face?

If so their background and status are pretty irrelevant, it’s still a symbolic taunting of those at the absolute bottom of the pile… Anyone can pick on them if they want…

Whether you live in a mansion or a council flat you at least have something, some sort of home…

If you need to express your status by belittling those at the very bottom of the pile, who have no voice or means, what are you telling the world about yourself?

Northwind

cookeaa – Member

I assume in every one of these “what if” scenarios they’re still waving that burning note in a homeless persons face?

If so their background and status are pretty irrelevant, it’s still a symbolic taunting of those at the absolute bottom of the pile… Anyone can pick on them if they want…

Yup. And pretty feeble whatabooutery, since the odds of “some chav from a crapp northern town” burning a £20 note in front of a homeless person are pretty bloody slim.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“If you need to express your status by belittling those at the very bottom of the pile, who have no voice or means, what are you telling the world about yourself?”

…and if you do two years of voluntary work for the homeless what are you telling the world about yourself?

pcb
    Free Member

I don’t buy, it would have been a complete non story.

Its only deemed news worthy because hes at a top university and has some / comes from money.

As other have said the over the top trial by media is way out out proportion. I’m by no means condoning his behaviour, its very very wrong. But he a young person who made a very poor choice.

Junkyard
    Free Member

that your mum will say anything about you , in order to defend you, to the press?????
    Is there any proof to this ?anyone know the shelter so we can check ?

jambalaya
    Free Member

100% d.ckhead – should have a life ban from The Conservatives (I bet that’s what happens informally). Personally I think is less slightly disrespectful than the guy climbing onto the Cenotaph but bad enough, his college / Cambridge should give him a suspension and a warning – no further nonsense.

What’s all this talk of Bullingdon?
    Wrong shade of blue!

@Stoner 🙂

Pyro

some chav from a crappy northern town

He’s from Livingston, is that far enough north for you?…

DezB
    Free Member

anyone know the shelter so we can check ?

Ask his mum. I’m sure she’ll be happy to answer questions at the mo.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

I laughed at this bit:

Somewhere along the line his dad is the brother of the ex-husband of the sister of the First Minster’s husband.

He might go around saying he is her nephew but he’s not.

Cougar

should have a life ban from The Conservatives

I’d have thought it’d be more appropriate to give him a punishment.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Student burns £20 in front of homeless man’ is closed to new replies.