Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Struggling to choose between two HT’s…
  • mindmap3
    Free Member

I want to grab another hardtail for winter duties and family rides now that the little ‘un is getting better. I’m going to do it via the cycle to work scheme because it saves a chunk.

My two options are…

Vitus Sentier VR 27 SRAM SX or a discounted Orange Crush Comp from last year.

The snob in me is drawn to the Orange but it cones with slightly pants Alivio brakes and Sektor forks. It had 11 speed NX.

The Vitus is £150 cheaper with the SRAM SX eagle which I gather is a bit heavy / crap but it has Marzocchi Z2’s and a proper pair of tyres. The Vitus isn’t in stock yet.

weeksy

The crush is a lovely looking thing. Even if it is lower spec, I’d buy it based upon that anyway

Kryton57

Op I said this in the other thread – the Clockwork Evo S at £1250 at sunset mtb has a better spec for nearly the price.  Unless you need a 150mm fork it’s a solid LLS bike.

I originally wanted a Crush also but the angles are pretty much the same and the Clockwork is no weedy younger brother yet is more comfortable

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

buy the bike you want first and then the brakes you want later.

Do Z2s lockout btw?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Looking at the spec of the Crush and the Clockwork, they’re pretty much the same other than the cheaper fork on the Crush to make way for a dropper.

The forks are attracting me to the Vitus because I’ve traditionally not got on with RS forks.

Kryton57

What, excellent Deore brakes, SLX and Revelation Debonair vs Alivio and Sektor?  Doesn’t even compare.  Anyway, it’s your choice!

trumpton
    Free Member

I’d go for the Vitus, due to the good reviews they get and the marzocchi unless it had a pressfit bb.

duckman

Duckman had a vitus and punted it for a frame that didn’t say vitus on it. Duckman was an idiot, don’t be like duckman.

mindmap3
    Free Member

What, excellent Deore brakes, SLX and Revelation Debonair vs Alivio and Sektor? Doesn’t even compare. Anyway, it’s your choice!

But it’s a load more cash at £1,400. I don’t get then extra discount because I’m buying through the cycle scheme. Trying to keep the cost as close to £1,100 as possible.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Duckman had a vitus and punted it for a frame that didn’t say vitus on it. Duckman was an idiot, don’t be like duckman.

Which bike did you have?

Kryton57

the cycle scheme

I’m sorry mindmap, I failed to read that in your op.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m sorry mindmap, I failed to read that in your op.

No worries. If I wasn’t going down that route, it’d have been a no brainer. Plus the blue is very pretty!

vincienup
    Free Member

Tbf, I’d go with the Vitus too. You’d spend the difference easily trying to get the Orange spec to the Vitus’ level. The Z2 is on another planet compared to the Sektor. It compares with high end Yaris, low end Lyriks and OE 36’s.

joebristol

The Vitus is going to be a much better all round bike unless you can throw money at a better fork on the Orange and sort out the drivetrain and brakes.

Just because it says orange on the frame isn’t going to transfer the low rent parts.

I have a Bird Aeris 145 and a Vitus Sentier and if anything I probably ride the Vitus a bit more, as on local trails it’s more lively and playful.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Tbf, I’d go with the Vitus too. You’d spend the difference easily trying to get the Orange spec to the Vitus’ level. The Z2 is on another planet compared to the Sektor. It compares with high end Yaris, low end Lyriks and OE 36’s.

The forks are the big attraction, I’m not too fussed about Eagle as I’ve been fine on 11 speed for ages but I’m slightly concerned that the SRAM SX is a bit crap.

The Vitus has better tyres too, which aren’t exactly cheap these days. Ideally I could do with a blend of both bikes! 😂

mindmap3
    Free Member

The Vitus is going to be a much better all round bike unless you can throw money at a better fork on the Orange and sort out the drivetrain and brakes.

The Orange has NX, albeit 11 speed which is probably marginally better than the SX eagle.

My natural dislike of RS forks may swing it unless I get too impatient to wait for the Vitus to come into stock.

Kryton57

Isn’t it true that the SX hub is splined and takes shimano?  I appreciate the SX cassette is heavy but if so that means a lower cost replacement when it wears.

FWIW I had my head set on that same bike before I melted toward the Orange.  I did loads of searches on that fork and all reviews state its a peach.

joebristol

Nx11 speed isn’t meant to be brilliant – I’d assume it’s much of a muchness with SX. Only SX has a better range. I like GX 11 speed and probably won’t swap it for Eagle unless I could afford / justify x01.

Sounds like the z2 is a million times better than a sector and probably on a par or with slightly better damping than a revelation or Yari. Although is the z2 on a Fox 34 chassis effectively? If so it’s less stiff than a Yari or revelation but would suit that Vitus hardtail nicely. Brakes are also better than the Orange from what I remember – plus decent tyres are worth the money.

I’d pick the Orange clockwork Evo worth better spec over the Vitus if it’s within budget though – because mint green.

mindmap3
    Free Member

The big issue with the Vitus is that no one knows when it’s going to actually land. I’ve spoken to CRC and they still don’t have a confirmed date for the 2020 Bikes to actually land yet which may force my hand slightly. The Cycle Scheme voucher has landed so I’ve effectively got the cash burning a hole in my pocket…which is always dangerous 😂

I did look at a Cube which had a crazy goof spec but the reach is from 1983 and is super short.

chakaping
    Free Member

Hang on for the Vitus. Stay strong. You can do it.

Kryton57

Mmmmmm

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hwf74G]20191017_121536[/url]

😀

mindmap3
    Free Member

Hang on for the Vitus. Stay strong. You can do it.

Ha ha, will try. It’s whether the snob in me can be restrained.

Kryton, that looks rather lovely. If only I was willing to spend more!

kitesurfer73
    Free Member

Am in same boat looking for a hardtail for winter on the bike to work scheme but only can go up to £1k which is annoying as there alot of good spec bikes for just over.
    I like the look of the orbea laufey 29er as it a 140 fork and 65.5 head angle… Might try and see if I can blag any of the shops selling it to see if I can chip in with cash. If not the orange evo is what I’ll be getting

andyecc
    Free Member

Lots of shops are happy for you to top up the balance over the 1k limit.
    Just ordered an Orbea Lauffey yesterday at Pedals, Edinburgh, and did exactly that
    Super helpful shop – highly recommended.
    Can’t wait for the bike to arrive 😀

mindmap3
    Free Member

Those Orbeas look brilliant for the cash but it doesn’t look like they’ll be available until Feb next year!

Marin
    Free Member

Orange every time. Get a P7 though.

joebristol

Orange every time. Get a P7 though.

Not the most helpful comment as I think this both blows the budget and is also a different bike to the Clockwork Evo – being longer / slacker / heavier (steel).

mindmap3
    Free Member

Looks like the medium Vitus is now in stock…hopefully the large ones will start to filter through now. The 2019 one does get cracking reviews.

Equally, the Crush gets pretty good reviews too particularly the frame.

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s possibly cheaper to upgrade the frame later if needed than it is the fork, but the Vitus frames seem well-regarded anyway.

That Z2 should be the clincher.

Also the CRC site says the Vitus “is perfect for lawless mountain adventures”, which you cant really argue with.

Kryton57

Also the CRC site says the Vitus “is perfect for lawless mountain adventures”, which you cant really argue with.

Its just marketing, of course it does they are trying ti sell the thing!

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Think I need a new bumper sticker: Hardtails are for life, not just for winter.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Yup, it’s all marketing BS.

Hoping that the large ones will arrive soon, I may even be tempted by the 29er version if that arrives first.

chakaping
    Free Member

Its just marketing, of course it does they are trying ti sell the thing!

I quoted that because it’s a bit weird as marketing copy goes.

Perfect for any Sons Of Anarchy wannabes though?

chakaping
    Free Member

Think I need a new bumper sticker: Hardtails are for life, not just for winter.

Where’s the like function when you need it?

mindmap3
    Free Member

I quoted that because it’s a bit weird as marketing copy goes.

It’s a bit odd / crap but hopefully I’ll be able to see passed it if them ever come into stock! 😂

mindmap3
    Free Member

Well they’re suddenly in stock so hopefully my emailed order with my certificate has been accepted for the Vitus. The better fork and tyres won in the end.

All that despite the chap I spoke to yesterday not having a clue.

Kryton57

Can’t wait to see the new bike photo’s considering thats the bike I would have got…!

chakaping
    Free Member

See, I said you could do it.

Congrats on your immense willpower.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Congrats on your immense willpower.

Ha ha. It was starting to wane a bit though.

Hoped it’ll be confirmed tomorrow once they process the voucher.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Just received confirmation that my order has been accepted and processed so just need the guys at CRC to wang it in a box for me and ship it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Struggling to choose between two HT’s…’ is closed to new replies.