• This topic has 43 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by GW.
Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Stroppy git on the train
  • tomhoward

As a regular user of trains with the bike, I honestly think I’d get less dirty looks if I swapped the bike for an ‘i love hitler’ t shirt.

Was on the platform once and there was a lady in a wheelchair about 6 feet from me and the station porter was having a chat with her as the train arrives…

Porter: oh it looks like a nice big empty train today so there should be plenty of space for you mrs wheelchair (name changed)
    mrs wheelchair: well as long as I’m nowhere near any bloody bikes….

Heil mein furher…

Duggan

Funnily enough I had similar experience this morning on the train to New Mills- was exceptionally busy and there was a fair few bikes on, including mine. All in the space by the door which I believe is primarily for bikes but not sure what the policy is for other luggage really.

So there were about 5 bikes, taking up all the available space. A young mother with a pushchair and child then got on and started demanding that we ‘move the bikes as there’s nowhere for the pushchair’.

I was just weighing up whether I really wanted to get in an argument with a young mother, with child by herself on the middle of a busy train when someone made some space further down and she managed to stow her stuff there. She was pretty pissed off and cursing us when she went past though.

Not really sure of the etiquette here to be fair. I’d normally go out my way to be polite or help someone in that position if I could but there was no other space for the bikes and there’s no way I’d be getting off the train and waiting for the next one because of that.

I know if I’d got in an argument with her, public opinion on the train would be very much on her side and I’d be looking quite the c**t though.

Looking back actually I don’t see why she couldn’t have folded the pushchair up and put it on the rack above the bikes, there was plenty space there. I presume all pushchairs do do that?

Hate it when the trains are that busy, would probably have gone elsewhere for today’s ride if I knew in advance.

project
    Free Member

Today on Mersey rail Northern line, bank holiday sunday and a seaside route, so they bung on 3 coach trains,get on and stand in doorway,no problems as the bike spaces is full of bikes, and the wheelchair space, naughtily has a bike in it.

Mrs Angry gets on with pushchair, despite another 5 doors available to enter by she chooses my doors, then she moans about bikes being on the train, about no seats, about having to stand,(seats where available, but she didnt want to share a bay with strangers),when it came to me turn to alight would she move faster than a constipated turd, no she blocked the door, till i said watch the oil on the bike.

Coming back a transformer station had caught fire, so no trains whatsoever, (electric trains)buses repalcing trains on a 28 station route, at one station i cycled past there where 5 prams waiting for the single repalcement bus.

But i did meet a chap on a Surly, who let me have a go on his bike, thanks.

Result ,never take a bike on a train on bank holidays.

GW
    Free Member

I don’t see why she couldn’t have folded the pushchair up and put it on the rack above the bikes, there was plenty space there. I presume all pushchairs do do that?

Yes, they all do as long as the storage shelf underneath the seat isn’t full of stuff. it can sometimes be a slight PITA to empty the shelf but if you use public transport often you should be used to it, buses round here only let ONE unfolded pushchair on so if you happen to board a bus with one already on it HAS to be folded.

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Stroppy git on the train’ is closed to new replies.