Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Strip frame back to bare aluminium
  • chalky

I want to strip my PX Uncle John back to bare aluminium? is this possible, I mean, once the paint is dipped and stripped do i need to lacquer the frame or anything to protect it.

Also, where can I get the frame dipped and stripped in the Keighley and Hebden area?

Ta.

mjsmke

I did mine with the old nitromors over a weekend. Finished it with fine wirewool. Use that frame for commuting and so far its fine left as raw aluminium.

robdob
    Free Member

I had a place in Halifax bead blast a pair or Marzocchi forks for me, left a nice satin finish.

If you stripped off the paint you really need to polish it up then lacquer it to keep it looking nice, or just polish it on a regular basis to keep the shine.

I used a Scotchbrite pad on a bare alloy 1991 Rocky Mountain Experience frame which gave it a slight brushed finish which was nice.

damascus
    Free Member

This guy is highly recommended and not too far from you. the last frame cost £30 to be stripped. Soda blasting is gentler on the frame too.

http://halifax.cylex-uk.co.uk/company/sodatec-blasting-com-17767090.html

chalky

Thanks for tips. Going to go for the ‘rawer’ brushed finish as it’ll be caked in mud most of the time. And £30 is a bargain for stripping the frame.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Strip frame back to bare aluminium’ is closed to new replies.