Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Strava Flyby
  • yetidave
    Free Member

just found this after doing Pedal for Scotland yesterday. Found it strangely alluring but slightly stalkerish..who was that person who passed me on that climb?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, it’s quite good, seeing who you’ve just roasted. Ahem. 8)

fifeandy
    Free Member

I turned it off, as i strongly suspect it uses your uncropped ride hence neatly bypassing any exclusion zones you may have set up.

I’m more than happy to be proved wrong so I can turn it back on

sirromj

Not sure how to prove you wrong but you are wrong.

jimdubleyou

Strava is now blocked at work (*crys*) but this article suggests this link might be helpful…

yetidave
    Free Member

I tend to crop the ride if it starts or finishes too close to home, which should be irrecoverable? going to have a look at some now…

jekkyl

it’s awkward when you find out later that you passed someone you knew and neither of you recognised each other. or so he says 😆

STATO
    Free Member

fifeandy – Member
    I turned it off, as i strongly suspect it uses your uncropped ride hence neatly bypassing any exclusion zones you may have set up.

I’m more than happy to be proved wrong so I can turn it back on

You are wrong sadly, simplest way to see this is to find someone you share the ride with, copy the link, log out, go onto their flyby and see that your ride is shortened.

Of course opting out is fine but you realise people can still see your ride if you set any segment times? (either currently or if someone creates a segment in the future). Look at any segment and click on the times people set, you can see the ride that sets that time, even if they dont allow followers to see their profile.

STATO
    Free Member

yetidave – Member
    I tend to crop the ride if it starts or finishes too close to home, which should be irrecoverable? going to have a look at some now…

The hidden zones do that for you, but nothing wrong with cropping more if you want extra peace of mind.

yetidave
    Free Member

it’s awkward when you find out later that you passed someone you knew and neither of you recognised each other. or so he says

I posted a selfie on my strava feed at the start of Pedal for Scotland, to find out later that one of my friends was standing right behind me. Never noticed until he posted on my strava last night, “thanks for the photo of me”!!

fifeandy
    Free Member

You are wrong sadly, simplest way to see this is to find someone you share the ride with, copy the link, log out, go onto their flyby and see that your ride is shortened.

Nothing to be sad about, quite good news in fact – hadn’t thought of doing the logging out bit. I’ll have a play one evening this week 🙂

mcnultycop

I ran flyby for the sportive I did at weekend; I’m still dizzy from watching hundreds of little faces at 900x speed.

STATO
    Free Member

I ran flyby for the sportive I did at weekend; I’m still dizzy from watching hundreds of little faces at 900x speed.

Thats the best part of it, seeing how many other people are out having fun too! Id love Strava to release heatmaps you can view ‘live’, would be great for seeing how popular areas are, and events too. The flybys for the ToB were great watching all the fans ride out to watch, and thats only the ones you pass!

Here is a flyby for ToB for riders watching at the Gibbet near Elsdon, its not my flyby as my garmin went bonkers and lost 3/4 of the data :0(. So cool being out there with that many riders on the road, and seeing everyone converging on the flyby.

ToB fans (scroll down and tick more people for the full effect!)

sirromj

hadn’t thought of doing the logging out bit

No need to log out in Firefox, just right-click->open-link-in-new-private-window

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I like the flyby of events like The Welsh Ride Thing – mass gathering which then scatters in all directions at vastly differing speeds. With all the daft user pics it looks like wacky races

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Strava Flyby’ is closed to new replies.