Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Stourbridge – Ridge woods
  • z1ppy

Anyone know what happening in here?
    Noticed whilst driving pass the backend has barbed wire strung across it and a lovely “private no entry” sign. So did a pass past the front end today (by the Forresters), but that seemed clear (from the road).
    Any idea’s? I did think there was a bridlepath running though it but multi-map disagree’s (just a path @ the bottom).

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

This must have happened since Wednesday night as it wasn’t there then!

The foresters end in, had a stile put in with no biking sign on it tail end of last summer, (that disappeared) now there is just a little sign saying no biking at that end!

Looks like someone no likey us Mountain Bikers!

Bit stupid as you hardly ever see anyone in there, biking or walking, it’s not some mountain biking mecca, just a nice way to get through and over to the three fields and on over to Kinver . . .

z1ppy

I agree, can’t see why anyone would stop access except out of spite, it’s not like there ever going to farm that bit of land & I doubt they’d ever get planning on it.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Has it all been fenced off, or just the main step up bit where you go in?

In fact Stourbridge is going to pot . . . .

You can’t even get a freshly cooked chicken tikka Kebab in Yummies anymore . . . . . 😕

z1ppy

..to me it the step down (heading towards blakedown), barbed wire strung across the whole lot at the end between some ropy posts, not exactly a profesional job. In fact I think they may find it doesn’t stay upright [or attached] for very long – darn those local kids are out of control! 😉

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member
    z1ppy

yep that’s it

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

It could be the bods in the farm that sits just below the Foresters entrance, there isn’t any other houses through there, or that overlook it!

They might possibly think they’ve done the trick, . . . if people started entering the woods through the top of the Foresters car park, this brings you above the school and you can drop down numerous gullies into the woods themselves . . .

probably won’t wash with our lot though?

Might give it a bash next time just to see what that way in is like.

When you come out the other end, I believe there is another way to drop down just a few yards up the road?

Houns

Been a while since i’ve ridden through there ( i was going to do so the day of the school stabbing but changed my route)
    Back in the day there was barbed wire across there but it cut down (you had to ride over it and risk getting a puncture to get on to the road)it’s probably still there under a cover of dirt

z1ppy

we use the forrester car park entrance when it’s really wet & no chance of climbing up to the ridge from the road. Otherwise it’s a nice little challenge of a climb, especially when damp (IME). All of the end (op. end to the forrester) is barb wired off, and yeah the old stuff was rusting on the floor… more to join it soon?

singlespeedstu

You might find it’s been put up by the guy that owns the house by the Foresters end. I know a few people who’ve had a bit of a run in with him over the last month or so.

He tried to tell me and a few others that he owned the wood and we weren’t allowed to ride through there. 🙄

I even cought him trying to build a gate type barrier halfway down the path. Looks like someone complained and got it removed though. 8)

bullandbladder
    Free Member

I like that he’s pinched one of those ‘Bikers Beware’ signs and attached it to his fence. I see what he did there, the great twunt…

DaveBro
    Free Member

The chap who lives in the house at the A458 end, Stourbridge Rugby Club side – had a good shout at me a couple of weeks ago! couldnt work out what he was saying, but could tell by the tone it wasnt very worthwhile, i was surprised how upset someone could get at a cyclist passing through!

Anyway it did occur to me that he seemed ‘exited enough’ to put in the stile that didnt last long, sign that gets ignored and occasional log thats good to ‘bunny hop’ (ish) – barbed wire is a bit of a development – hope its gone by Sun AM!

getonyourbike
    Free Member

barbed wire is a bit of a development – hope its gone by Sun AM!

It’ll have ‘blown down’ today when I’m on my way through. I’m sure my Gerber has wire cutters.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

The wire was too thick for the wire cutters on Gerber to handle unfortunately 🙁

unklebuck
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of distant shoutings at from the guy who lives in the house at the Forresters end, seems to have a real problem with bikes on the footpath along the edge of the woods.

I while ago I stopped and let him spout at me for a bit, thought venting his spleen might help his anger management 😆

He couldn’t give a reason why me being there was causing any harm, just kept telling me I was trespassing on his land and I shouldn’t be there. Turns out he’d confronted a group of guys on bikes and one of them had given him a load of abuse and claimed to be a copper from Stourbridge police station. The old fella had even gone as far to check up the PC number he was given and complain, but said the cops told him it was made up. Claimed a number of them were wearing orange tops (Stourbridge CC?)

I rode off and have carried on using the path, unless he was stakeing it out he’d never catch you.

Is the footpath blocked completeley or just the gap inthe fence by the style?

bullandbladder
    Free Member

It WAS completely blocked earlier. It’s not now though 😉

It’s the other end, not where the stile is.

unklebuck
    Free Member

Might be worth mentioning it to Staffs rights of way people if its obstructing passage on foot (cough).

getonyourbike
    Free Member

the barbed wire is at the far end by the sewage treatment works and when I went over at 1:30ish the wire was still there. I couldn’t cut it. There’s no way round it, I did snap the post he had put in due to frustration. I just put the bike over and then climbed over after it.

singlespeedstu

bullandbladder – Member

It WAS completely blocked earlier. It’s not now though

I’ve seen fences that just “falls into bits” too.

Must have been the wind that did it. 😆

z1ppy

unklebuck – Member
    Might be worth mentioning it to Staffs rights of way people if its obstructing passage on foot (cough).

As I say the right of way on memory map is a footpath which leaves the wood before the end (with the barbed wire) and heads down to a farm/house. So unfortunately no right of way is being blocked as far as I can see… Again I don’t expect it to last long though, very windy round here 😉

unklebuck
    Free Member

ahhh… thought you ment the point where the offical footpath leaves the woods, not the other end by the Whittington road.

I wonder how long that path has been in use for? Has anyone got evidence that might be enough to apply for restricted byway status 🙂

bullandbladder
    Free Member

I expect he’ll get bored and stop it eventually. That fence will just go the same way as his makeshift stile-thing. BOO-YA!

singlespeedstu

I have a feeling that a bit more of that fence might “fall over” and “dissapear” over the next few days.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Latest intelligence suggests that quite a number of trees within the wood have mysteriously ‘fallen over’…

LeeW

I’ve had a couple of distant shoutings at from the guy who lives in the house at the Forresters end, seems to have a real problem with bikes on the footpath along the edge of the woods.

I while ago I stopped and let him spout at me for a bit, thought venting his spleen might help his anger management

He couldn’t give a reason why me being there was causing any harm, just kept telling me I was trespassing on his land and I shouldn’t be there. Turns out he’d confronted a group of guys on bikes and one of them had given him a load of abuse and claimed to be a copper from Stourbridge police station. The old fella had even gone as far to check up the PC number he was given and complain, but said the cops told him it was made up. Claimed a number of them were wearing orange tops (Stourbridge CC?)

I rode off and have carried on using the path, unless he was stakeing it out he’d never catch you.

Is the footpath blocked completeley or just the gap inthe fence by the style?

I can assure you the abuse started after he’d been threatening towards a 14 year old and pushed some one in to the barbed wire fence.

Does anyone know if it is actually private land? or is it council, FC or NT land?

kinda666
    Free Member

@ bullandbladder, been over today, the trees have perfect cut marks in them and have had rope tied round by the looks to pull them across the trail as they are felled!

unklebuck
    Free Member

I can assure you the abuse started after he’d been threatening towards a 14 year old and pushed some one in to the barbed wire fence.

Given how he tried to come over as judge and jury on who could access his land, i’m not surprised he boiled over and did something silly if anyone dare disagree with him.

been over today, the trees have perfect cut marks in them and have had rope tied round by the looks to pull them across the trail as they are felled!

Could be an oppoertunity to add some jumps, or are these big trees? 😀

kinda666
    Free Member

Not that big really, there is a tree down in the bomb hole half way along that probably could be moved to be honest with a few pairs of hands, one of the trees down is a bit more complicated though, think it was a duck under/step over jobbie!

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Seems like a good excuse to buy a chainsaw to me.

singlespeedstu

Some of the logs have been cleared but he’s now blocked off the trail at the rugby club end.

LeeW

Trail entrance/exit was clear tonight, just a couple of trees down which aren’t too much bother.

singlespeedstu

😀

It got cleared last night.

Or so I was told 8)

LeeW

Heh, We saw the guy tonight, he was quite pleasant, waving and shouting at us from his garden.

z1ppy

Any particular reason why the (sewage plant) end “hadn’t” been clear up till now? 😉

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Stourbridge – Ridge woods’ is closed to new replies.