Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Storing bikes in the house. Clever ideas required.
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

So I really don’t want to put the new bike in my shed. It’s a good shed, has security bolts and a ground anchor but it just doesn’t feel right putting it out there. Especially with the amount of shed break ins lately.

Im just looking for people’s advice regarding this.

I don’t have much space and wondered what people’s outside the box ideas are for keeping bikes inside the house.

I’m thinking wheels off and frame hung to the wall in the porch.

How are people storing thiers indoors if they don’t have much space?

BigDummy
    Free Member

Mine currently live on a Feedback Velocache, front wheels off to reduce length a bit, tools and spares boxes underneath, helmets and bags hung on the wall behind, extra sticky-backed hooks attached to the stand to hold shoes.

🙂

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple stored wheels off in the attic & road bike in the hall.
    If someone breaks into the garage,all they’ll find is the winter hard tail covered in mud & minus wheels,pedals & seat post..

BoardinBob

Assuming your BB has a 20mm hole: http://andystand.co.uk/

I have three of them holding my bikes upright in the spare room. Easy to move the bikes around and get them out the stands. Great bit of kit.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Got a stand that takes 4 bikes on a pole, header version of the topeak one

Junkyard
    Free Member

hang them from the ceiling if you have enough height???

Other than that he general rule is to put them in a room with enough space for them

Under the bed, Behind the sofa, wherever you like

bikebouy
    Free Member

I use a couple of bike storage hooks fastened to the wall in a spare room. Gets them off the floor, and far less intrusion into the room.
    Think they cost £20 each.

otsdr
    Free Member

Topeak TwoUp here; only two bikes on it, can take up to four.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Turn your living room into a theme pub and make the bike part of the decor.

plus-one

When we finally got boiler upgraded to combi the cupboard that had old water tank in now holds two bikes upended with front wheels in hook 🙂

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Our combi boiler is in the bathroom 🙁

The only real space I have is in a porch. I thought maybe stood upright with the front wheel hooked onto the wall.

Or I just admit that it’s the shed and make sure that the insurance covers it.

longmover
    Free Member

I have a four bike saris stand in the living room, it is a temporary measure that MrsMover hates. It takes up loads of room, can’t wait until we move house and I get a man cave like I used to have.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Well if you do use the shed take the wheels,seat post & pedals off.At least that way they’re walking off with it ,not riding it away.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve got one on a hook from the ceiling, wheels off. It will hang on the hook with the wheels on but sticks out a bit. That’d fit in our porch and it isn’t huge. The commuters and main mtbs are in the laundry wheels on hooked onto some shelf brackets. Does take up a bit of space. Last couple of rental properties they were under the stairs

ste_t
    Free Member

Rent/buy a house with an extra bedroom just for bikes?

Yes, the estate agents do talk to you as though you’re mental.

mark88

Cycloc Do wall storage which look a bit less ‘garage’ than a normal wall hook.
    I will probably go for something along the lines of a Velo Sock for when I need to keep MTB in the house.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Go to any motorcycle shop and they’ll give you those “andystands” free of charge!
    The come in the axles in the crates new bikes are shipped in – 4 per bike.
    They get scrapped.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

We have an under the stairs but the new long, slack and low geometry (they didn’t think about that did they!) makes even the frame alone too long.

If I can’t make the porch work I might have to look into alternative outside storage (Asgard).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

[edit, crossed posts so it doesn’t make sense anymore] I used to take the wheels off my nice bike and keep it in the cupboard under the stairs. Takes up surprisingly little space if you put some other stuff in there with it (veg rack, clothes rail for coats, etc) so that it didn’t end up taking up space that should have been for other stuff.

Just became part of the Friday night ritual to get it out in the kitchen, put the wheels on, do the minor fettling etc. Kept a SS in the shed for weekday riding.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Hooks and walls.

Hangers.

Lots of options. I use hooks and a proper bike hanger. Budget of £30 or under. You could spend £100’s on designer hangers that look awesome displayed in the home.

I just wanted to protect my bikes against my dyspraxia family. Don’t use on pink sheets to stop scratches. Use radiator pipe foam cut to size.

yorkycsl
    Free Member

I’m with Bustaspoke, they go in the loft though we have plenty of room & the garage is well protected, when not in use for a few days they go up in a insulated boarded out loft.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How about:

Front wheel out, hook the axle over the hooks, with the rear wheel out and dropper post dropped would it not fit upright in the cupboard?

http://www.diy.com/departments/rothley-galvanised-storage-hook-l90mm/255945_BQ.prd?gclid=CPX1q82D_MoCFQoUwwodr6QHNw&ppc_type=shopping&ecamp=SEAPLA255945_BQ&ef_id=VoztGwAAAcE6N0CD:20160216100203:s

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

The cupboard is waist height 🙁

I thought I had it a minute ago with a hook in the porch. Then I realised the only full height wall is a glass window.

Do sucker bike strength hooks exist?

hammyuk
    Free Member

There are suckers that carry 800kg glazed units so yes bike strength ones are out there 😆

andyl
    Free Member

not sure i would trust suckers for a long period as they will tend to creep. Can you hang something from higher up?

trail_rat
    Free Member

“I thought I had it a minute ago with a hook in the porch. Then I realised the only full height wall is a glass window.”

so remove it out the shed where its at least not on display – to putting it in full view in a window like an advert to steal it ?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Ha no sorry, the window is only internal. The outer is all brick. It’s between the porch and the house.

I didn’t explain it very well.

allan23
    Free Member

Got three bikes hanging by the front wheel in a utility room – probably about 6 foot long and 3 to 4 foot wide.

Used the Halfords BikeHut wall hangers. Bars on the 2 MTBs are twisted in line with the frame. Looks a bit like Frankenstein’s photo above for the bike spacing. Wall mounts are at slightly different heights so that cables and stuff don’t tangle.

Works well, got to watch pedals when taking them out. I have considered taking the pedals off before storing but being careful is more convenient than putting pedals back on before each ride.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I used to keep mine in the halls of residence as a student by taking the pedal off the non drive side and sliding it under the bed. The beds were quite tall frames with thin foam mattresses though.

Only other (not so sensible) option I can think up, is one I saw on pintrest. Use one of the ceiling suspended bike hooks on rope thingies, but install it at the top of the stairwell (as long as you have a full height staircase, not an airing cupboard or something above it). Would require a perfectly clean and dry bike every time though!

honourablegeorge

Divorce/Dump your Mrs, and just park it wherever the hell you like inside?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Quick question on insurance. It’s a custom build but do insure against cost to build or an (as near) Orange pre specced option?

doubleu
    Free Member

It sounds like whatever you do possibly achieve in this porch wont give the right results and the missus will make you move them anyway.

Im quite lucky – we live in a very small house but there is a walk in cupboard upstairs where I store all the bikes and gear. The other half wants them in the shed, I completly refuse this idea.

Anyway, I suggest the loft. Get some boards (B&Q do them cheap) board it out, or even just half of it, get a loft ladder and job done. Everyone is happy then. Bikes are safe and not in everyones way downstairs. Wheels off, carry them up.

Yes it’ll be a bit of a faff dragging them in and out when you want them, but its that or move house 🙂 Or the shed where at some point they will be stolen. If we didnt have our cupboard, I’d be using the loft.

thenorthwind

I have a small spare bedroom with a single guest bed. The bike goes on that, wrapped in a sort of bag I made from a tarp (basic wrap-around design with some bits of velcro to hold it in place). It could theoretically go in their covered in mud, but it’s a good motivation to clean the bike after a ride.

The space on the bed would otherwise be unused so not really a problem. Though we do keep loosely folded sleeping bags on it as well – these go on top of the bike, which helps hide it even more.

HansRey

mine are kept on the balcony or shared attic space. The bikes in the balcony are fixed to the wall with a hook across the stem, with pedals off to help pack them closer together. I try to avoid hooking them through the front wheel as the tyres are too big to fit around the hook. Bars are rotated, too.

If i owned my own place, I’d build something like below, for the entrance/ hallway. It would fit only one bike, probably the most often used mtb.

thepodge
    Free Member

I use £1.50 ladder hook from wilkinsons into the wall and hooked round the front wheel.

Mate of mine does the same but has a length of guttering screwed to the wall under the wheels to stop mess.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Well my insurer, The Post Office, won’t insure it anyway 🙁

trail_rat
    Free Member

I hung my TT bike up in the “study” Hangs via the NDS pedal behind the door above a bookcase and the desk – only comes down for 10 or so events a year.

oldtalent
    Free Member

My 2 are in the lounge leaning against the wall.
    Yes I do live on my own.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I want to build an outbuilding instead of a shed.

Our shed is old and needs replacing really, could I put up a concrete/brick structure instead without needing planning permission?

Gotama
    Free Member

Surely your best option as a concrete slab in the garden with an Asguard on top isn’t it? You could at least then take the asguard with you when you move.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Storing bikes in the house. Clever ideas required.’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM