Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Stop me buying a new bike! Possible 29er content
  • twistedpencil

Time for a new bike, I have finally snapped and given up on reading up, reviews, trying to get demos sorted, and I’m going to order a bike unseen and untested next week….

I’ve been hankering for a new bike for three years now, however held off due job insecurity in a dodgy economy. Now thinking stuff that, economy needs rescuing with me spending 🙂

Three years of toying with buying a new bike, after ten years on an Orange Sub5, has got me in a reet pickle. Started off wanting a Five AM, then toyed with the Alpine 160, then realised that I’ve been needing a Nicolai in my life after long term lusting. So Helius it was. Rocky time in construction meant hold on a while, then some numb nuts went and started making long travel 29ers. Thanks to my easily turned head, Dirt had me looking to sell a kidney for a Intense Tracer 29, I have high quality kidneys.

In all this time I’ve not thrown my leg over another bike, try getting a test rig in XL. I’m now sold on the benefits of wagon wheels if for no other reason that I’m 6’3″ and actually the wheels on the 20″ Sub5 do look small. Don’t mention 650b, I’m indecisive enough as it is.

So am I stupid going in and placing an order for a Nicolai Helius AC 29er without seeing one in the raw? Also what about sticking a CCDB Air on it with a Fox 34 up front. Rest of kit will be to a budget…

I’m embarrassed to say all my knowledge on new kit comes from surfing the net and subscribing to too many mags, rather than riding any of it. In fact I’ve depressingly spent more time reading mags than riding bikes this year, the shame 😳

Flame away, correct my stupid actions before I buy something!

khani
    Free Member

So am I stupid going in and placing an order for a Nicolai Helius AC 29er without seeing one in the raw? Also what about sticking a CCDB Air on it with a Fox 34 up front. Rest of kit will be to a budget…

Don’t do it, It’d be awfull!!! Especially with some crossmax ST’s and a reverb.. They’d make it even worse….
    Buy a cheap bike with crap kit, that’d be great….

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Where are you based?

Im also 6′ 3″ & ride an XL Cotic Solaris.

Your welcome to have a blast if you’re near me? – it would at least give you an idea…….

Alan.

twistedpencil

Khani, stop it! Dropper post on list, telling myself reverb is the cheap option rather than getting a Thompson one!

Alan based Stockport area, however work takes me from Wigan to Hull regularly, mainly in Leeds at the mo….

khani
    Free Member

I won’t mention the new 650b Turner Burner then, that might be even worse..
    MmmmThomson…

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Reverb stealth if its a Nicolai AC 2013…Yum yum

You wont like the AC,i have a 650b AC..Amazing bike,5th Nicolai i have owned

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Im in Scotland, so that’s out then 🙁

29er’s is defo the way forward……… IMO

Enjoy whatever you decide to buy! 🙂

slackalice
    Free Member

Yep, me too!! 😀

Like you TP, am going to be hurtling towards buying a new bike, sight unseen, new and different wheel size (650B for me!), kitting it out with components that I have varying real world experience of (from some to none) and really rather excited at the prospect!

Fun isn’t it?!

Consider it as it being safer and possibly cheaper than having an affair. Not that, by reading your OP, you’re having too much in the way of justification issues 😉

I did mention this on another thread and by doing so here, not trying to muddy your choice, rather to enhance it…

PYGA 110 review

Maybe not quite the travel you are looking for, but do have a read!! 😉

twistedpencil

Slackalice, nice bike…. Nice review. Staying on course with the Nicolai…

Alan thanks for the offer, will pass this time. Trying not to look at the Cotic now…

nicolaisam
    Free Member

AC Pinion 650b.2013

slackalice
    Free Member

I admire and share your resolve! 😉

twistedpencil

Pinion would be a leap too far even for me.

Not read enough articles on it 😛

Looks lovely mind

nicolaisam
    Free Member

My mate has an AC 650b running XX1.

its 27lbs.Flying machine

takisawa2

What about that new fanagled Orange5 29erer…

Ok. Punish me…

twistedpencil

I’ve decided to try pastures new, so unfortunately I’ll pass on the Orange 5 29er. Have to admit reading about this bike on here is what has tipped me over the edge, into must make decision now or procrastinate for ever more!

martinh
    Free Member

I’m 6′ 4″ and a Large Tracer29 is a perfect fit. XL would be crazy big. If you’re in the South ping me an email to have a go

nicolaisam
    Free Member

I am 6ft 1.5″ and ride a Large AC.

twistedpencil

Nicolaisam and martinh, thanks for the sizing heads up. Just been and ordered a large AC, it’s bigger than my current bike in most of the measurements so should get on well with it, XL may have been a touch too large! Good to see a bike manufacturer catering for average sized people 🙂

Now I just have to wait…

Yay

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Stop me buying a new bike! Possible 29er content’ is closed to new replies.