Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • Stone Roses – third coming…
  • Mugboo

Maybe?

Pigface
    Free Member

Why? apart from to make some cash, which is as good a reason as any.

Simon

I never saw them the first time around, and although I love their music, I kind of hope they don’t get back together.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/oct/15/stone-roses-second-coming-reunion

M6TTF
    Free Member

Same rumour circulates every year – not sure it’ll happen

Amos
    Free Member

It won’t happen, as m6ttf said same rumour annually!
    Shame really 🙁

almightydutch
    Free Member

If only!!!!

Alcopop
    Free Member

Can’t see it happening,not sure I’d want it too either saw
    them at Glasgow green 1990 they were fantastic
    ,as above this rumour comes out every couple of years
    although this time animosity between John and Ian
    seems to have mellowed so who knows

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

God I hope not. Average at best the first time.

emsz
    Free Member

Average at best?

you do understand that John Squire is one of the most accomplished guitarist of his generation, perhaps one of the most influential on the british music scene? that they were one of the defining groups of the 90’s? I know you revel in your MOR taste in music PP, but you do say some of the silliest things.

In fact I’d go as far as to say, you know when you get cross when people say silly things about suspension? you are guilty of the same thing about music.

samcamsdad

Probably wont happen, but i think king monkey has recently got divorced so he could need the cash.
    Im 50/50 as if i want to happen. The songs are classics, but can they still pull it of live?
    Last time i saw Ian brown live he was so out of tune in some songs, it was painfull!

maccruiskeen

Same rumour circulates every year – not sure it’ll happen

Much the same happens with the Second Coming to be honest, I thought there would be a comeback tour to promote the bible being released on Kindle.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

there was a busker playing waterfall down rose street in that there edinburgh village yesterday. it was quite nice 🙂

guitarhero
    Free Member

John Squire is vastly overrated IMO

one of the most accomplished guitarist (sic) of his generation,…

You’ve got to be joking.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

One of my fave bands of all time but I hope they don’t get back together. These reunions are never the same. Evan if squire and brown burrow the hatchet they will struggle to get Renni back on. Read somewhere that he became disillusioned with it all.

emsz
    Free Member

yeah guiatr hero, waaaaay more influential than that dead end generic blues **** that the likes of say Robert Cray go in for… 😉

Lifer
    Free Member

Hope not +1! Leave the legend alone

guitarhero
    Free Member

yeah guiatr hero, waaaaay more influential than that dead end generic blues **** that the likes of say Robert Cray go in for…

WTF has Robert Cray? got to do with it?
    Is this the school playground?

muggomagic

I think it’s way too late for them to get back together. I prayed that they would 10 years ago and make another album, but if they got back together now they’d just play the festivals and do their old material. It’s hardly worth it, as much as I’d love to hear Mani play that bass line for fools gold again, I think it wouldn’t be as special now.

Pigface
    Free Member

you do understand that John Squire is one of the most accomplished guitarist of his generation, perhaps one of the most influential on the british music scene? that they were one of the defining groups of the 90’s?

No I dont please explain it to me

yossarian
    Free Member

+1 for emsz

Squire and the stone roses influenced a generation of musicians, players and producers alike.

Pigface
    Free Member

Yes but who influenced them?

slimjim78
    Free Member

Jagger & Axl together on stage? it’ll never work..

doh
    Free Member

on one of his shows stewart maconie explained why it will prob never happen, the main reason is that they signed a bullet proof contract in their early days for several albums and amazingly it was agreed that they would take larger royalties from tape and record sales but none from cd sales, just at the time when cd’s started to take off. the label to this day can re-re-re release the albums and compilations and don’t have to pay a penny in royalties. the band dont get on due to the fact it was brown (i think) that pushed for this deal that screwed them all out of a lot of money.

don’t know how much of it is true but it is a good story at least.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

No need for a third coming when you can go see the Clone Roses!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

The first album is really dated, it’s got a few decent songs on it though. Preferred the second album, though generally, it was a pile of poo. Still, Reni was an amazing drummer, wasted on such a band I reckon.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Yes but who influenced them?

A couple of generations worth of great musicians, and probably a similar amount of shady ones! Doesn’t make their legacy any less, they still managed to create a work of art which shaped the development of many others. Wouldn’t want to go and see them now though.

Harry_the_Spider

I hope not. I don’t want the memories of my youth tainted.

Just look what George Lucas has done to Star Wars.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I saw Mani in Mcr the other day. He had purposeful walk about him. Read in to that what you may?

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

Don’t think any one of them were the worlds best in their field, but when they came together, they were IMO unbeatable.

Took influences from everywhere, and in turn were massively influential. They inspired thousands of lads to pick up a guitar and give it a go… some of them went on to great things, some didn’t. When Indie meant exactly that… doing what you wanted independantly from the mainstream, not some cowellesque marketing tag.

I’ve had a pint with Mani and he genuinely is an all round top bloke.
    Part of me feels that they shouldn’t spoil the legend, but then there is something heart warming about a group of mates letting bygones be bygones and remembering why they did it all in the first place.

Scamper
    Free Member

Bet most posting in praise of the Roses on this thread are exactly 40, like me 😆

Mugboo

First album is a stone cold classic. Album two has some great tunes.

I saw them live and Mr Brown can’t sing 🙁 great night though 🙂

Love his studio stuff though.

chakaping
    Free Member

I saw Mani in Mcr the other day. He had purposeful walk about him. Read in to that what you may?

I think he needed a wee.

Simon

Bet most posting in praise of the Roses on this thread are exactly 40, like me

In about 3 weeks I will be…..

chakaping
    Free Member

Definitely one of the greatest bands of all time (for me), and that debut album was the soundtrack of my first holiday away with mates at 16.

No interest in seeing them reformed though, if only because the rest of the crowd all being paunchy and balding would be too depressing.

matthew_h
    Free Member

36 years old and a huge fan. They changed my life I reckon.

I don’t want them to reform though and I’m definitely not sure about going to see them if they do. I missed them the first time round as I was a little too young but I think I’d prefer to keep it that way rather than have my memories spoilt.

weare138
    Free Member

Didn’t John squire do some artwork last year saying over my dead body or words to that effect?
    I’ve met Mani aswell, top bloke.

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

John Squire was rumoured to live around these parts (Clitheroe/Ribble Valley/Forest of Bowland)concentrating on art rather than music, but I’ve never seen him. He is (was?) also a keen mountain biker as I remember they had to cancel a few gigs (mid 90s?) due to him breaking a collar bone in an accident.

shredder
    Free Member

Saw them at Spike Island happy happy days ! 😆

CountZero

I believe it was Squire being interviewed in The Word a while back about his art who said it’ll never, ever happen. Speaking as someone who has a deep and intense love of music going back to early childhood, so that makes somewhere around fifty years, I was never much of a fan of the Roses or indeed any of the Manc and associated scene around that time. The likes of The Soup Dragons, James, Happy Mondays and lots of others just left me totally disinterested. Same as bloody Oasis. I did buy the Roses first album in Fopp for three quid, because it had a couple of tracks on it I quite liked.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

JacksonPollock – Member
    John Squire was rumoured to live around these parts (Clitheroe/Ribble Valley/Forest of Bowland)concentrating on art rather than music, but I’ve never seen him. He is (was?) also a keen mountain biker as I remember they had to cancel a few gigs (mid 90s?) due to him breaking a collar bone in an accident.

Did hear he was going out with a lass from Lancaster a few years ago so that would tie in with living around the Forrest of bowland. As for influenceing bands noel Gallagher watched them at spike island and was quoted as saying that he now knew what he wanted to do with his life………(allegedly)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Stone Roses – third coming…’ is closed to new replies.