Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • stomach bug!!..how long to pass?
  • markyboy
    Free Member

ive been puking and shitting constantly for the last three days.im totally done in.dragged myself to the gp who took temp ect(no samples)and he told me i have a stomach bug.drink water and take paracetamol.prob is every time i do i throw up!.anyone else have any similar experiences?…second prob is im meant to by flying out to tenerife wednesday.are there no antibiotics available anymore? 🙁

wallop

Antibiotics are for infections, not stomach bugs. You’ll probably be right as rain in a couple of days. Get well soon.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

It depends what you’ve got… I had Giardiasis in China once and it was NASTY; the cure is indeed antibiotics.

wallop

I caught that too, in Australia. And true – I was treated with antibiotics.

chewkw
    Free Member

One week for me which include fatigue, fever and lost of appetite … or diarrhea. Did not take any medication but just rest. My friend was alright but not me. 😯

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

how long to pass?

About 30 seconds a time, every hour, I guess 😆

Sorry, couldn’t resist that one.

I had something in Bali, so I know your pain. Sorry I don’t know what meds I was given….

jambalaya
    Free Member

Anti biotics are prescribed for stomach bugs

I had a bad one, first round of “normal anto-bios” did nothing so I got stronger ones and a stool sample taken revealed I had E-Coli … was given a letter and told if I got sick again to go to A&E with the letter.

If you have a holiday I’d go back and demand anti-bios and a stool sample be taken, you might want a better story/excuse than I’ve a holiday …

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I have a stomach bug too. It feels like norovirus which I’ve had and even though it’s summer can still be picked up. It’s just more common in winter due to people being indoors and it spreads easier. Felt like crap yesterday, but now just got a churning stomach and shits. But no more vomiting. Water and lucozade are working for me, water to hydrate, lucozade to keep sugar levels up if I can’t keep food down.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I don’t remember what I had but I took av antibiotics and was on a drip for a day as I couldn’t keep down liquids. When I said I thought I could hold down some soup, it was brought to my bedside in a nice china bowl – go private 🙂

On a more serious note, my friend’s 9 month old daughter went to hospital a few days ago with salmonella, staphylococcus and e-coli. The Dr.s said they’d never seen all three at the same time. She was on adult doses of av antibiotics for three days and is still taking monster doses orally now.

Hope you’re feeling better soon.

When you can eat again, live yoghurt, Yakult and the like will replenish all the good bacteria in your tummy. Antibiotics kill them all; they don’t differentiate between the good and bad ones.

spooky_b329

Live yogurt etc seconded, I’v heard of people coming back from India etc who have had the shts for 2 or 3 weeks, a few bowls of live yogurt and right as rain. Might be a bit early after just a few days though.

ste_t
    Free Member

I remember having a bad one a few years back. I was in bed for a week, everything I ate/drank quickly projectiles out one way or another.

I did at one point run out of bog roll and had to brave the 2 minute walk to the shop. I made it about half way before the inevitable happened. I did have a little cry.

Good luck

BenjiM

Live yogurt etc seconded, I’v heard of people coming back from India etc who have had the shts for 2 or 3 weeks, a few bowls of live yogurt and right as rain. Might be a bit early after just a few days though.

I can heartily reccomend Ann Forshaws 😉

globalti
    Free Member

Go to the chemist and get some sachets of oral rehydration salts, they are miraculous. If you can’t get out, read up on the web how to make your own.

A bad stomach bug from dodgy food can be treated with three Ciproflaxacin tablets at 12 hour intervals. It says in the instructions that you don’t need to finish the full packet. I carry them, rehydration salts and Lomotil on trips to Africa and can sort most problems pretty effectively.

markyboy
    Free Member

wish id re read this a month ago…just been prescribed Ciproflaxacin after 6 weeks of misery and doctors saying…water and paracetamol!!

dannybgoode

Any other symptoms (e.g blood in your passings etc)?

I thought I had come down with a stomach bug and it ended up being Ulcerative Colitis. Not wishing to alarm by any means and if you have no other symptoms (and even if you do) very likely a bug.

footflaps

I was going to suggest Ciproflaxacin, a broad spectrum antibiotic. I have a week’s course in my travel kit, just in case I get food poisoning abroad.

Edukator
    Free Member

Why do doctors tell people to take the killer that is paracetamol? Drinking supermarket cola is the best I’ve found.

EDit: one month ago 🙄

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘stomach bug!!..how long to pass?’ is closed to new replies.