Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Stiffy – Sram rear mech, any tips to fix it?
  • fettling
    Free Member

Got a SRAM X9 rear mech, unfortunately it is stiff and won't change into top gear. Taken it off the bike cleaned it all up and it still isn't playing ball. Anyone got any tips for fixing it?

mk1fan
    Free Member

If the mech moves freely off the bike then the next bits to check are the cables and shifter.

fettling
    Free Member

Unfortunately not mk1fan, the mech moves freely for all but the last few mm a gentle nudge can encourage the top gear position, but it definitely needs help.

Dancake
    Free Member

Mine was sticky going from 1 to 2 and 8 to 9… (usually about 1/2 hour into a ride until it wouldnt change at all)

I just removed it and oiled/ worked it back and forth for ages over a few visits.
    In time with loads of working it got better and its been ok the last few rides.

I changed cable, too. On its own not too bad but enough to make the tight mech effect worse.

fettling
    Free Member

Shop have offered to send it back to fishers for me under warranty. Problem is I have a race on Sunday – Think I will work it this evening as per Dancakes tip and then get the warranty replacement next week.

Just not sure how much I trust Evans I had to bully the sales guy to get him to agree to warranty it! His initial line was to charge me for a gear mech service.
    The bike is less than 3 months old BTW

atoms1
    Free Member

had the same problem – a bit like the spring isn't strong enough – but after 3-4 rides it has eased up and is now working fine

rootes1

When you say top gear you mean smallest sprocket? Yep my 08 x9 mech is doing this, the spring is very weak, I bought a later one from crc as they are on offer and the mech is redesigned and spring is much stronger feeling though must get round to fitting it……

fettling
    Free Member

rootes1 – yes top gear (smallest sprocket). Spring appears reasonably strong. Also swing arm has T25JUN09 printed on it. So looks like an 09 rear mech with stiff / tight pivots.
    Who's to say I won't end up with a worse example after warranty.

duir
    Free Member

It's a common fault on the sram x9 rear mech and pretty typical of the poor quality control from the entire sram group for the recent past. I heard the problem with the x9 mechs is that they made the bushings too tight to be more durable but unfortunately it doesn't work.

My brand new x9 rear mech will shift into the lowest gear (largest cassette sprocket) but then will not change back up. Also the high limiter screw keeps self adjusting and then eventually working loose during rides.

We really shouldn't have these problems with new expensive items and it is not acceptable. My rear mech is going back under warranty yet again and if the new one is rubbish it's back to shimano for me on my xc bike. Great pity as I have X0 on my downhill bike and it's utterly faultless.

fettling
    Free Member

Duplicate post – removed

fettling
    Free Member

Is there anything to indicate that they gradually improve over time?

I spotted someone else on the web had decided to drill through to remove the rivets and replaced them with bolts. Interesting idea but an X0 might prove the better long term option.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Interesting – I posted a nearly identical query on Sunday. Have posted my brand new 2010 X9 rear mech to CRC today!

As commented above – this is total cr@p when you're paying over £50, and I'm just starting to think the industry is taking people for a ride, as it were. 😕

I had an X0 one before – which was superb in use until it destroyed itself in the back wheel. Replacement price is just taking the pi55.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

BTW, one thing I haven't tried is setting the stops so that the movement range is skewed toward the low gear side – i.e.in the biggest sprocket it's at full stretch and therefore in the smallest it's still some way from rest. I don't know whether it would make enough difference but will probably set up the new one along those lines.

djglover
    Free Member

I have the same problem, seems to have developed over winter when standing water has either not had chance to dry or frozen on the bike in the shed. I worked gt85 into it and it still didn't help.

charlierevell
    Free Member

Send it back and get a new one…. I had a brand new demo bike, took it on one ride and withing 3 hours it had lost the lower 4 gears.
    Pile of pooo, put slx shifters and an xt mech on there!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Stiffy – Sram rear mech, any tips to fix it?’ is closed to new replies.