Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Sticky Sram x9 10 speed shifters
  • matt-lewis
    Free Member

Hello,

Having real sticky problems with the above shifter. Once pushed it sticks, it does change gear but the paddle sticks in place. I’ve tried lubing it. Anyone know of any cures before I tear it apart and probably make it worse.

Thanks,

Matt

strike
    Free Member

SRAM have acknowledged this issue and have since updated the levers to run on ball bearings as opposed to bushes – as long as you’re within 2 years old (I think), you’ll be able to get them swapped for the new type.

I would not open the shifter up to try and fix it…….!

chiefgrooveguru

Mine started having that exact problem a couple of weeks ago! Bought it from CRC last February. When/where did SRAM admit liability and offer replacements?

andysredmini
    Free Member

Bin them. I had the same and no matter what I did I could not get them to work properly. Spent ages stripping cleaning and re greasing.
    I had 12 year old shimano lx that worked better than 1 year old sram.

strike
    Free Member

Don’t bin them – just send them back via a Fishers dealer and get new ones! Just tell them what’s happening and request them to be replaced with the new ball-bearing type.

SRAM X9 Triggers Get Ball Bearings in 2012

matt-lewis
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I’ve been stung then I bought them off ebay! XT from now on then.

Matt Lewis

argoose
    Free Member

Had this too, lube makes it worse. I took the little rubber grommet/cable port cover off and sprayed with GT85, good soaking and all good. Just re-spray every other ride. See how long they last.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Have you checked the cable? The most common cause of sticking lever I’ve seen is a kinked cable inside the shifter. Try pulling the cable out. Cables can occasionally become kinked 1cm from the nipple in SRAM shifters. I’ve never figured out why though. They still shift but but the lever doesn’t return.

The upgraded replacements sound like the next option.

You could dismantle and check the spring on the lever. I’ve never pulled apart an X9 but I have pulled apart a few other SRAM shifters. They all seem to have a v-shaped spring. This can slip out of it’s grove. Bending it back a little and then refitting fixes the problem for a few months. If you do pull it apart I recommend you use good quality screwdrivers and press them fully into the screw heads – they round if you’re not careful. Take the housing apart very slowly – you want to open it so the springs all remain seated. If you open it the wrong way up everything pings off over the kitchen and you’ll spend hours trying to work out how it goes back together!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Sticky Sram x9 10 speed shifters’ is closed to new replies.