• This topic has 86 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by pondo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Steve Wright, £475k?
  • BlobOnAStick

No one makes me reach for the off button quicker. Can’t believe he’s worth £475k for the same crap he was broadcasting in the 1980’s.

fossy

Surprised me too. Zoe had a big wodge of a pay rise.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

This baffles me every time they have a table of BBC wages!!

kimbers

couldnt agree more

but……….

Over 9 million people are waking up to The Zoe Ball Breakfast Show every week!

The Big Show is now even BIGGER! ✨

We can now reveal that Steve’s show has a record 8.1 million listeners.

halifaxpete

Serious earnin’ (No G)

mboy
    Free Member

To each their own… Not my cup of tea either, but there’s obviously people out there who want to hear him badly enough that he can justify his pay cheque… 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m not one to begrudge anyone who actually pays their fair share of taxes their income, even if it is difficult to understand how they can command their salary! At least they’re contributing directly to society unlike all the Politicians getting huge financial gains by abusing their positions of trust and not paying their dues! 🤔

winston
    Free Member

Funny I was thinking the exact same thing. He has literally broadcast the same rubbish show for 30 odd years.

But then that whole bbc list is a show of mediocrity. Oddly though I detest football only Lineker salary makes sense as he really is a one man brand in the biggest sport there is.

falkirk-mark

Bargaintastic

ratherbeintobago

@halifaxpete I am sure Serious Jockin’ is a crime against humanity.

frankconway

Definitely not my preference but he’s clearly successful – as measured by his employer.
    He’s got a big – and loyal – audience.
    Questions for the beeb wpuld be – if he left for a rival how damaging would that be for us and who would replace him.

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Zoe Ball 1.36m …. sorry £1.36 maybe

BlobOnAStick

Now when it comes to Zoe Ball I think fair’s fair – she does the flagship R2 breakfast and all the stuff with Strictly etc. Thats going to be a lot of early mornings and some late nights along with a talent that suits.

Steve Wright would not command the audience he has on another station. No way. Steve Wright can GTF (all the G)

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

That must be hell for her….

kimbers

Chris Moyles is paid £1.5m for his breakfast show & that only attracts a million listeners

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

To be fair i wouldn’t host strictly for 1.36…. 1.5 might swing it..

BlobOnAStick

Having tried to listen to Chris Hawkins I am obviously alive to the necessity of talent. But Steve Wright? Holy cow.

Cougar

That’s his net worth I assume? Not his salary?

It’s easy to rag on long-serving presenters perhaps unfairly, but Steve Wright is surely past his Best Before date. I challenge anyone to come up with a worse example of a catchphrase than “No G.”

krixmeister

I challenge anyone to come up with a worse example of a catchphrase than “No G.”

OK Boomer

Spin
    Free Member

No one makes me reach for the off button quicker.

It’s a dead heat between him and the Archers.

redmex
    Free Member

Sara Cox in my opinion as bad if not worse than Steve, on par with ooooh Gary Davies or even Mark Goodyear

Spin
    Free Member

I don’t mind Sara Cox, she’s sharp, capable of saying non-scripted stuff and doesn’t take her self too seriously. Steve Wright is none of those things.

Drac

They still employ Jeremy Vine. Until he’s gone the rest should stay.

maccruiskeen

It’s easy to rag on long-serving presenters perhaps unfairly, but Steve Wright is surely past his Best Before date.

Radio 2 is the station for listeners who are past their best before date. 🙂

One of the problems with the BBC being forced to publish their presenter / stars / señor staff wages is theirs no context. Theres no obligation on other broadcasters and media outlets to do the same thing so you don’t know how the rate they are paid compares to other comparable positions and you don’t know what other broadcasters have bid. Its like complaining about the price of milk in Tesco without knowing what it costs in Asda.

Steve Wright would not command the audience he has on another station. No way. Steve Wright can GTF

The thing is – we’ve no idea. He may not be able to command the same audience on another station but he could bring enough of an audience for it to matter to them. It might not be the size of audience, just the right kind of audience – see the deal Chris Moyles got.

When there was the big fuss about the money the BBC used to pay Jonathan Ross back in the day – stirred up mainly by the Murdock press – two contextual facts were absent from the story.

One was not so much the viewing figures as the proportion of audience…. the vast majority of TV’s that were switched on when his show was on were tuned to BBC1, it wasn’t a question of whether the audience was large or small – it was almost all of the audience share. Hundreds of other channels (and their advertisers) and nobody was watching them when his show was on.

The other was…. the BBC were not the highest bidder. Sky – who don’t need to publish their presenters and producer wages-  had offered quite a lot more and he’d turned them down. So their story was that he was being paid to much while in fact he was being paid less than they thought he was worth.

Drac

OK Boomer

Snowflake.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

I’m gobsmacked the BBC is not reducing the license fee the state of programming since Covid, they now have the gall to expect us to pay monthly for that BritBox repeats crap, stuff we’ve already paid for.
    Most current affairs shows on the BBC are just vehicles for some second rate celebrity’s new f****** book.
    Oh yeah Steve Wright, total w******
    Naga Munchetty £200k WTF.

alanl
    Free Member

Steve Wright – yes, similar to his show from the 80’s, but, he’s very popular, and is inoffensive. He is amusing, he regularly makes mistakes but people like him
    Zoe Ball, I couldnt believe it when she got the morning slot, and still turn over to another channel when she is on, the same with Jeremy Vine and Vanessa Feltz.
    I’ve just looked at the list, I’d say the majority are over-paid.

timbog160

Radio 2 is Death’s waiting room.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Gary Lineker.

No one in the UK watches match of the day to see this smug rocket, absolutely no one.

andylc
    Free Member

I don’t dislike Gary Lineker but he’s not exactly an employee is he? A few minutes a week and then the odd extra for tournaments and international matches. I’d love to know his hourly rate – ridiculous.

theaccountant
    Free Member

£390k for football pundit Alan Shearer is unbelievable – I bet he doesn’t do all his own pre match preparation either

Many of the BBC big names also earn money outside the BBC too of course

It would be interesting to see a list of what the BBC pay to those that aren’t directly employed by them too. Many of their big names operate through their own production or management companies, frequently for their own tax efficiency. Again, perfectly legal

kimbers

Oh yeah Steve Wright, total w******
    Naga Munchetty £200k WTF.

I wouldn’t watch either, Steve Wright in particular is like nails on a blackboard to me

But

1/7th of the UK listen to Steve Wright
    Chris Moyles earns 3 times his salary to get a fraction of the listeners at xfm

1/8th of the UK watch Naga every morning, Reid & Morgan each earn 5x her salary for much less viewers

Haters gonna hate, but, regards salaries

The BBC is excellent VFM

twinw4ll
    Free Member

I watch Naga most mornings, doesn’t mean I think she’s worth £200k.

martinhutch

Every organisation has someone who has been there for decades, does f all yet earns some vast sum simply by not leaving. Radio 2 seems to have a habit of sabotaging its best shows but leaving the dino-shows untouched.

I like Naga, though, and Charlie Stayt!

theaccountant
    Free Member

I tend to watch the BBC Breakfast news for 20 mins every morning while chomping my cereal but I don’t choose to watch BBC because of the presenters, more to do with the fact that I can’t stand shouty Piers at that time in the morning

There could be someone randomly plucked from the street in Salford every morning to present on BBC (now there’s an idea….) and I’d still watch rather than put up with Piers

the-muffin-man

Radio 2 is the station for listeners who are past their best before date. 🙂

It’s just easy listening during work without…

a) thinking WTF is this they’re playing on 6 music every 15 minutes!?
    b) listening to commercial radio which annoys me way more that Steve Wright!

martinhutch

There are quite a few eye-openers on that list. ‘Up to 200K’ for John McEnroe – how many hours has he worked for the corporation this year? Even in a non-covid summer, that’s two weeks of Wimbledon and one week of Queens?

Another 200K for Jermaine Jenas. Wut?
    There are so many niche news reporters who are getting vast sums – Fergal Keane, Jeremy Bowen (haven’t seen a report from him for some time).

It could be argued that some presenters are worth paying to hang onto, but the BBC has to be realistic about its budget.

the-muffin-man

Even more baffling…

…not sure how she’s even in a job at the BBC never mind being paid as much as she is.

martinhutch

A local radio presenter and occasional stand-in for Vine. Remarkable.

chakaping
    Free Member

I rarely listen to R2 and I’m no fan of Steve Wright, but that is lower than I might have expected TBH.

How much does Ken Bruce get?

martinhutch

How much does Ken Bruce get?

<consults Daily Mail outrage chart>

Up to 390,000. Not sure what the ‘up to’ means in this regard.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Steve Wright, £475k?’ is closed to new replies.