Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Steerer extender or solutions for a too short steerer!?
  • Aus
    Free Member

New (secondhand) frame and popped it all together but, steerer on my forks is too short – comes up halfway in my Thomson stem.

Has anybody tried this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3970 ? I guess a low stack headset could be an option but ideally I’d like c 40mm added.

Beyond new forks, any other tricks?

Cheers

jam-bo

Low stack headset + low stack stem might gain you 20mm but your never going to magic up 40mm.

I wouldn’t use an extender. Why do you need that much?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

It’s discontinued and have you read the first review ha!

fd3chris
    Free Member

I tried one of those a while back and it isn’t what you think. It’s more for converting a threaded fork in to a modern aheadset. Your best bet is a spank stem as they have the smallest stack height combined with a cheap on CRC crank brothers headset.

dantsw13

You need the old spank spike stem, not the new one. It has a 35 or 50mm reach, 26mm(!!!) stack height and also quite a significant rise.

Add in a M part low stack headset for £21
    M Part from CRC

And you should be there!

If you still need more, a 40mm riser bar is another option.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I’ve got a Spank Spike in Black & Chrome if you’re interested – 35mm so it wouldn’t be very helpful if you’d be doing a lot of climbing.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Steerer extender or solutions for a too short steerer!?’ is closed to new replies.