Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Steel road frames, anything better than a Surly Pacer
  • Trustyrusty
    Free Member

Currently running a PlanetX Superlight team and while it does everything I need it to it’s a bit harsh and I need a new fork anyway. Considering the Surly Pacer (It’ll be my 4th Surly, I know they are heavy!) but wondered if anyone has experience of either the newish Ribble steel frame or a Vilier Strada. Both look OK and offer similar value…

steve_b77
    Free Member

Genesis Equilibrium or Volare?

kcal

not sure on the spec. for weight, sizing and so on – Osprey?
    http://shop.singularcycles.com/products/singular-osprey?variant=870566903
    £307 if you’re a 60cm http://www.wiggle.co.uk/singular-cycles-osprey-frame/

porkscratching
    Free Member

As I have a Pacer my only answer can be “no there isn’t anything better”.

Bregante

Ritchey Road Logic £600 from acycles!

A bit (lot) more but mmmmm.

sssimon
    Free Member

I bought a volare as a second bike to stop me looking the the ritchey………. it might work

ampthill

Spa cycles audax

link

305 for frame and forks. Frame is 725

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

Luckily the Singular and the Ritchey aren’t available in my size! Never heard of Spa before, but that frame looks really good for the money. That Volare deal is looking very, very good though! What do they ride like?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

That Spa cycles looks really ropey. Would also avoid the Surly.

Why can’t you get a Ritchey?

Although they’re as dull as dish water, Enigma do some steel frames that look upto the job.

Also, All City cycles?

What size do you need? Whats your budget?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Steel road frames, anything better than a Surly Pacer

Yes. Lots of steel road frames are better. Such as the Genesis mentioned above. Or, how about;

http://www.englishcycles.com/cat/custombikes/roadbikes/

http://rusbycycles.co.uk/bikes/

Skinnymalinky : Reynolds 853 steel road bike – Shand Cycles

http://www.demonframeworks.com/frames-2/

I could go on…

Surly make some nice stuff, but they’re hardly the pinnacle of the form.

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

I can get a Ritchey or a Singular if I really want, but I can’t really justify the cost for the amount of miles i do on the road at the moment. Like I said, my Planet X does everything i need it too. I had a back operation last year and the drop to my bars can be a bit much, the frame is great, very stiff and pretty light, but I’m no racer and like steel.

The Surly and the Spa appeal as they are more relaxed geometry, i can run the bars as high as i need/want and they seem to have plenty of eyelets for mudguards/panniers (hoping as the back gets better to do some light touring) Ropey?! How so? I’m used to Surly finishing, sure they aren’t super light and the stickers wear quickly, but two of my Surly’s are over ten years old and still kick bottom!

I’d love a Ritchey, Singular, Enigma, Shand, the new Bianchi Vigorelli is beautiful. But maybe next time, i just need a dull, decent frame this time that doesn’t want to hurt me ;0)

Olly
    Free Member

Surly make some nice stuff, but they’re hardly the pinnacle of the form.

But if you like it, i wouldnt bother wasting time trying to find “the perfect bike”, it doesnt exist. Just choose the one you like and ride it.

Really rate my Disk trucker. Bit porky maybe, but 4130 (surly steel) is the same stuff as Genesis use, and OnOne/Planet X, and probably most manufacturers, just under different labels.

Genesis come up a bit small in my experience. If you are 6ft+, forget it. The 60cm (largest one) is about 58cm in reality.

The singular is very pretty. I would consider that for sure.

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

looking for a large 57/58cm frame (5ft 11) started looking for an old, quality vertical dropout frame on Ebay, but anything half decent was silly money, some were more than a new carbon frame!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

But if you like it, i wouldnt bother wasting time trying to find “the perfect bike”, it doesnt exist. Just choose the one you like and ride it.

Really rate my Disk trucker. Bit porky maybe, but 4130 (surly steel) is the same stuff as Genesis use, and OnOne/Planet X, and probably most manufacturers, just under different labels.

Genesis come up a bit small in my experience. If you are 6ft+, forget it. The 60cm (largest one) is about 58cm in reality.

The singular is very pretty. I would consider that for sure.

I had a Surly, it was dead heavy and flexy, didn’t really like it at all.

I’m 6’3″ and also had a Genesis, much better bike, and it was a 58cm aswell!

miranmtb
    Free Member

Kona Honky Tonk maybe

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

drooling over some of these links… 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

They ride real good. Been racing it with good results this year.

ian martin
    Free Member

I used to have a Planet X team sl (aluminium) and never got on well with it although that might be more to do with being between sizes and finding the wheels to be a but flexy. I now have a Ritchey logic and love it!
    It’s comfy, not too heavy (it does have a full carbon fork though) fits well and really shifts when I put my meagre power down.
    I bought it for £500 off the bay, as it comes with a headset and seatpost bolt I think it’s a good price at £600.

nodrog2
    Free Member

Edinburgh bicycle co-op have good deals on the Genesis Volare if you’re after a full bike.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/browse?keywordFilter=Volare&bGOmainKeyword=Search

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

Oldgit, am i right in thinking you’re based around MK? if so would you mind meeting somewhere so i can have a look at the Volare? I’d be happy to buy cake for your trouble ;0)

verticalclimber
    Free Member

try to avoid push fit BB in steel frames, had a volare 853 and lovely to ride but had to be warrantied in end. i ended up going custom to get what i wanted

deejayen
    Free Member

You could look at some of the more traditional makers. Bob Jackson seem to be good value, for example, and may have some off-the-shelf frames available. I haven’t seen that Surly, but as you say, some of their frames seem to be overbuilt for general riding. I’m a sucker for olde worlde bikes. I think they look fabulous, and if you pick a nice one they ride great.

colin9

I have a Genesis Equilibrium, rides lovely although I have not compared it directly with much else. They are made out of various different qualities of steel depending on price, mine is Reynolds 725. I’m 6’2 and am happy with the fit of my 58″.

oldgit
    Free Member

Trustyrusty I’m in Leighton Buzzard. Cant do the next three days, but can meet evenings after that and incorporate a meet into my ride. I’d fit normal wheels for that though.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Although they’re as dull as dish water, Enigma do some steel frames that look upto the job.

Would rather have anything made by Enigma than a stovepipe surly. Each to their own but Surly are just cheap heavy bikes for people who wear socks with their sandals.

oldgit
    Free Member

My mate builds bikes, just done one for me but he is away on his hols the git.
    Pretty well any tubing you like.
    Steel forks the norm, or carbon forks.
    Powder coat the cheapest, but he does have a custom painter.
    For day to day use he has built me a filet brazed frame, pretty standard geometry. Threaded BB, 11/8th headset. Basically a steel frame based on older styles that takes modern’ish equipment.
    Mines plain gauge except a Columbus seat tube.
    Has some odd ‘brand’ things like shot in stays with a bolt through the stays not on the seat tube. Large rear drop outs with a Bear plasma cut out of them, serves to shorten the chain stays.
    Cheaper than Bob Jacksons off the pegs.

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

I’m a fan of the CrossCheck, but it is heavy. I think it rides fine though,bit more rugged and versatile, but can be a weird fit. They are decent bikes, generally; not fancy enough for some and expensive for others. Again, All-City, Soma make similar offerings. Have you seen the Velo-Orange frames? The Pass-Hunter seems to get good reviews, though maybe on the pricier/cheaper side.

mick_r

A friend at work has the steel Ribble as his main bike / commuter and is very happy with it. I was quite surprised how light it is with fairly skinny tubes. He’s a big guy (strong rider on the flat) but doesn’t seem to have any issues with it being too flexy. Finish still looks new after a year of neglect.

I make my own frames but seriously tempted to get one as a cheap and easy option for commute.

Bez

Yes, there are nicer things than the Pacer. But I love my Pacer, it’s a great ride and the geometry is nice and sharp.

The only real fault it has is that in my 62cm size the tubing is just too slim for my liking: I prefer a stiffer front end. They really could have done with using oversized tubing on the larger sizes, but I would imagine that the smaller sizes are just dandy.

irvb

I have a Pacer. I will never sell it.

jameso

Lots of steel road frames are better

Knowing who makes what I’d say ‘different’ rather than ‘better’.

Spa, Genesis, Surly, Singular, take your pick. They’re all crmo of the same basic sort and it’s hard to seperate them on quality, only the design details differ.
    Bez has it – the tube ODs affect the stiffness and that’s probably the main difference you’ll find, geometry being a personal thing too.

hora
    Free Member

Edit- PHEW thats not a stone chip.

I bet the Genesis is really nice to ride but in the flesh it just looks how it looked in the pics. Hard to describe what I mean. The Ritchey- sublime. I went past a roadie shop a few weeks ago and two of the staff were smiling-pointing out of the window and in the Rapha cafe I was talking to someone whose choice was between the Logic (bought unseen) or a stainless steel Starley. He chose the Starley but from the sounds of it was excited about mine.

The only things I’d change about mine are the wheels and the 6800 Ultegra shifters- they just feel really flimsy and cheap to shift. Should have gone with 105’s?

oldgit
    Free Member

Finally finished. A standard road frame with 11/8″ ahead, BSA bottom bracket. Nice heavyweight training bike. Should be built by next weekend.

And a nice Bear end. Original frames were fixied/free with track ends. These are a take on those old ends. He also machined the brass cable adjusters above.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Steel road frames, anything better than a Surly Pacer’ is closed to new replies.