• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by SirHC.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Steel Hardtail – Carbon/Ali/Ti Seatpost ?
  • SirHC

Will be building up a Solaris and whilst the rest of the build spec is decided on (Reba/SID, hope xc wheels, x9 drivetrain, hope brakes). Not so sure on the seatpost, does a carbon/ti seatpost take some of the trail buzz or is it rubbish?

bigblackshed

Thomson.

(/Thread)

oxym0r0n

It is a fat seatpost and less comfortable than my mtb with 27.2 but I went with the big T, just because

kerley
    Free Member

In my recent experience of switching from a carbon post to a Thomson I noticed absolutely no difference. If there was less trail buzz when using the carbon I didn’t feel it after it had already been dissipated by the tyre.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I had a 27.2 ti seatpost on my steel hardtail, and I used to think that bike had the nice steel zing to it.

Then I bought a steel road bike and put that seatpost on it, and thought that had the nice steel zing to it.

Then I broke the clamp bolt on the seatpost and put a deda carbon one on instead.

The ‘steel’ zing went and the bike was a lot less comfortable 🙁

Ti post is now repaired and on my Tripster.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Yeesh, turnerguy which ti post was it?

how heavy are you?

otsdr
    Free Member

Syntace P6 Hiflex – the only problem with it is it’s not a dropper.
    I have switched to a Reverb on the Solaris and it’s way stiffer/harsher.

Make sure you use friction paste and tighten correctly (i.e. on the tight side), otherwise you’ll get a very expensive scratch when it slips.

adsh
    Free Member

^ +1 for the Syntace P6 shockpost

Moves about 2cm at the top if you have a decent length showing. Takes the edge of hits and is definitely a lot more comfortable. Even a USE sumo carbon moves a bit. The alloys stay rock solid.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Ti Sumo on my Soda – that’s nice and sproingy.

If the bike in question has a fat seat tube, try shimming it and run a skinny post?

Wouldn’t run a carbon post if you like dropping it on a regular basis – it’ll get too scratched up.

All said and done, I’d probably give up the comfort of a flexy fixed post for the utility of a dropper myself…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Yeesh, turnerguy which ti post was it?

how heavy are you?

old USE 27.2 post.

12 stone 6

iainc

Thomson posts have a bit of a reputation for slipping/creaking in Cotic steel frames….

SirHC

Thanks for the replies, I have a Trance for trail/enduro work, the Solaris is for putting the xc miles in, so no need for a dropper.

The syntace looks a nice bit of kit, but will pass based on the cost. The USE posts do seem a good option, will have to see what length post I would need, the sumo carbon comes in a decent length (400mm).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Steel Hardtail – Carbon/Ali/Ti Seatpost ?’ is closed to new replies.