Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Stan's no tubes…
  • ExRoadie
    Free Member

Anyone got an opinion on this system, good or bad?

Also, is the no tubes system for putting any tire on any rim? e.g. Normal tyre on normal rim or normal tyre on tubless rim?

uplink
    Free Member

It's as good [no better] than other systems

Normal tyre on normal rim

ExRoadie
    Free Member

Just found this on the No Tubes site regarding using their rim strips to enable mounting normal tyres on tubeless rims. Anyone tried this?

Why use our rim strip on tubeless rims?
    Without our rim strips, mounting a standard tire on a tubeless rim creates a poor interface, making it easier to burp air. Using our molded rim strips in tubeless rims creates a much stronger interface with the tire and rim. The interfacing is so strong there is no air loss even when a C-clamp has the tire totally compressed. The side walls are touching and the bead lock is completely exposed! Try this with your tubeless system!

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

I'm impressed. Not perfect ,but what is?

mooman
    Free Member

very expensive compared to other rims though.

robarnold
    Free Member

I tried it and it didn't work for me. I got all the tyres on the rims no problems, followed the instructions and the video on the site and it was pretty easy.

What I didn't get along with was the fact that I always had one eye on it whilst riding…always wary of slashing a sidewall, and always paranoid I could hear/feel them going down. I ended up having five instances of having to put a tube in over the space of around seven rides. For all of the faff, not to mention the mess and expense of the system, I deemed it a failed experiment and have gone back to tubes. Not until having sold my rim strips on the classifieds page, that is 8)

Perhaps I was unlucky, perhaps not. I'm building up a new set of UST-rimmed wheels this winter so will probably go down the full UST + sealant line in the fullness of time.

Sory I couldn't be more positive!

grumm
    Free Member

Just use the ghetto method – works a treat. The Stan's fluid seems pretty good though, but the rim strips are an absolute rip-off.

http://www.tubelesswheels.com/

jonb
    Free Member

I used the ghetto method and the front tyre rolled off the rim on a sharp corner pitching me into a bush. The rear tyre punctured and wouldn't seal a few rides ago so I'm back on Tubes for now. Will try proper tubeless rims soon to see if that goes any better.

grumm
    Free Member

Well I think your degree of success with the ghetto method is entirely dependent on your rim/wheel combo. FWIW I used 719s and so far have successfully done it with non-tubeless 2.5 Big Earls, 2.3 Eskars (2Bliss) and UST Dual Ply High Rollers.

Worked fine for me in the Alps/Mega.

FOG

I've used Stan's rims for about the last 18 months and have had no problems until this week when I tried to fit a new tyre. I thought I knew what I was doing but I just couldn't get the new tyre to seat on the rim. I tried all the tricks i have seen on this forum and eventually thought it was on but when I came to put the sealant in and pump it up, all hell broke loose with sealant gushing from all around. It did do the trick though, the tyre now seems glued to the rim and it is sat in the garage to see if it will hold air overnight. I have to say I really thought that it was back to tubes but the advantages of tubeless are massive although the faffing about is also massive!

househusband

the advantages of tubeless are massive…

Indeed.

…although the faffing about is also massive!

Really? Maybe 'ghetto' is, but UST has been simplicity itself! 8)

hh45
    Free Member

I agree with FOG – hassle to change tyres but once inflated they are fab. I've UST for 3 years and totally reliable and quite easy to set up. Had stans on Olympic rims for 2 months and harder to set up (I would have given up if I hadn't spent so much on the wheels) but now they are up they stay up and are fab. They never burp or misbehave and generally are just as relaible as UST even though the Racing Ralphs are pretty lightweight tyres. I am a light (but clumsy) rider and only XC use and we haven't got to hedgetrimming season but so far so good.

Always worth it for the low tyre pressures.

JxL
    Free Member

I have stans system on my singlespeed – ZTR Olympic rim on standard Nobby Nic/Racing Ralph tyres. Works lovely.

aracer
    Free Member

always wary of slashing a sidewall, and always paranoid I could hear/feel them going down. I ended up having five instances of having to put a tube in over the space of around seven rides.

But if you slash a sidewall with tubes in you'd be in exactly the same situation. Were you putting tubes in due to sidewall slashes (in which case, where on earth do you ride?) or for some other reason? I've only had to use tubes a couple of times in over 7 years.

robarnold
    Free Member

Were you putting tubes in due to sidewall slashes (in which case, where on earth do you ride?)

Ride in the Isle of Man…lots of slate. True, I would have had to put a tube in had I been running tubes anyway, but I wouldn't have been absolutely caked in latex whilst changing a tube. No hedges to be cut here, all of our riding is out on the moors or in plantations.

I'm not particularly bitter about it…it works for some people but just not for me. Perhaps I was unlucky with tyre choice – I tried some Conti Speed kings first of all (which had sidewalls made of wafer biscuit), then a set of non UST racing ralphs, the sidewalls of which were too porous and no amount of shaking the tyre to circulate the sealant/laying it on it's side would seal a couple of holes.

Seems as though UST is the only way forward for me now if I want to get rid of tubes

FuzzyWuzzy

Hmm yeah those are about the two worst tyres for sidewall fragility and neither a very good choice for tubeless.

Personally I get on well with running tubeless, I'm pretty lazy and mechanically incompetent but even I manage fine. The only real downside is I end up running all-round tyres rather than switching between summer and mud tyres etc. (although TBH I rarely swapped to summer tyres when running tubes unless there'd been a particularly long spell of good weather).

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Stan's no tubes…’ is closed to new replies.