Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Stan’s Flow vs. DT 5.1d rims
  • fattatlasses
    Free Member

Trying to make my mind up between these two for my next set of wheels. (have just read the thread on 5.1’s…flippin’ eck!)

Has anyone got experience of Stan’s Flow rims?

On paper the flows look good, similar width to 5.1’s and (allegedly) 30g to 50g lighter. One thing that does concern me slightly is that I don’t think the spoke holes have eyelets, which seems a bit cheap. The sidewall of the Flow is also 2 to 3mm lower than the 5.1, I wondered if this would make the tyre a bit more unstable at lowish pressures when cornering hard – What do you think??

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I have a set of each. Frankly, the flows are great rims. You’re right. They’re not eyletted, but you need to do a bit of reading because stans rims are not traditionally constructed – the short of it is they’re not eyeletted because they don’t need it.

They give a better tyre shape because they’re wider than 5.1s, they are lighter, feel a bit stiffer (subjective, down to wheel build I do appreciate) and if you want to run tubeless, the stans bead interlock is just as good as UST.

Both my sets of wheels are of similar age. I have a couple of flat spots on the DTs, but nothing on the Flows.

furry_marmot
    Free Member

apologies for the slight hijack, but Scienceofficer, does the bead interlock mean I could use UST tyres and Flow rims without sealant for user-friendly tubeless (albeit without the puncture resistance)?

mk1fan
    Free Member

Yes.

jobbyheid
    Free Member

Flow’s are lovely rims and I’d have them over 5.1’s any day

furry_marmot
    Free Member

winner. thanks mk1fan.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Hell yes.

After switching my tyres (I run tubeless on both) on the DTs yesterday, I’d forgotten how much of a faff rimstrips can be, even when they go perfectly well.

When the time comes for replacement, I won’t be getting another set of 5.1s.

furry_marmot
    Free Member

thanks scienceofficer – think you’ve solved my problems re. wheel choice for the new bike now…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Dug this from their website –

Edumacational

fattatlasses
    Free Member

The info & videos on the NoTubes website comparing the various tyre/rim combo’s are excellent – Cheers for the tip off Scienceofficer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Stan’s Flow vs. DT 5.1d rims’ is closed to new replies.