Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Stans 355s on XT or Black Flag Expert wheels? or something else for about £150
  • Leku
    Free Member

Need a set of wheels for the hardtail. Forks have a 15mm axle and I have about £150. I want to be able to run tubeless. I have been checking the classified but Hope Hoops seem to go for more than this.

Anything else worth looking at?

Sun Ringle Black Flag Expert Wheelset 2011
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=63316

Pair XT disc hubs 15mm front – ZTR355
    http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/wheels/mountain-bike-wheels/sale-wheels/pair-xt-disc-hubs-15mm-front-ztr-355-rims.html

nedrapier

I’d go for the XTs on Stans. I they’d come in at 1640g? with 32 spokes, so likely to be stronger.

scruff
    Free Member

I sent my Black flag expert 2011s back to CRC as the axle flexed and the freehub then made horrible loud graunching metal sound. Internet reavels it isnt isolated. Shame as the rims seemed good. As you weigh 8st wringing wet you may be OK 😀

Leku
    Free Member

I may have eaten some cake recently…..

You were always far more gnarr than me.

I think I’ll go XT/355.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I recently picked up a still boxed set of Roval Controls for £160 via ebay.Excellent set of tubeless wheels for the money and 15mm fork co patible too.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

when I had XT hubs I ended up using Castrol CL grease on them as it is a marine grease and doesn’t seem to break down as easy as the lithium grease – as you don’t want to let the bearing get knackered on them.

singletrackmind

NB .- XT hubs ( M775) are cup and cone . They are not the best in terms of sealing or longevity .
    If you go Shimano but some cone spanners and some decent grease ^^^ , and be prepared to service them to keep them sweet .

Given the choice , I would look for entry level Mavics, or save up a few quid and buy a better hub .

mboy
    Free Member

XT hubs last fine, AS LONG AS you grease them properly (as described above) before you use them, and look after them once in a while. If not, then you’ll need complete new hubs inside a couple of years.

Leku
    Free Member

Servicing XT hubs is not an issue.

Spent many an afternoon back in the day losing ball bearings behind the fridge. Are 15mm front XT hubs cup and cone too?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Servicing XT hubs is not an issue.

it is if you forget to do it!

or if you follow a service schedule but find that the seals have given way before the next service and the grease has broken down and the races are knackered.

ska-49
    Free Member

Ive got a set of hope hoops with red hubs and Mavic 531 hubs..
    Email me at kh306(at)exeter.ac.uk if you are interested.

Leku
    Free Member

thanks Ska. I ordered the Merlin XT/355 wheels last night.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Stans 355s on XT or Black Flag Expert wheels? or something else for about £150’ is closed to new replies.