Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • SS help / advice
  • dannybee
    Free Member

I have a rockrider 8.1 which i want to single speed,I ran a my old GT on a on one conversion kit which worked well. I’m on a budget so cant decide whether i would be better using the rockrider frame and a one one tensioner or swapping to a inbred frame.

A inbred frame and headset (rockrider is internal) would be a fair chunk of my budget and seem to get mixed reviews on here and if i kept my frame could get more stuff like singlespeed specific chain ring better tyres etc

Any advice welcome other than keep the geared bike lol

nickc

Keep the rock rider if you’re confident about setting up the tensioner, I wouldn’t buy a frame “just to go single speeding”

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’d definitely say running a frame with a tensioner and a SS specific ring etc is a better idea than running a SS specific frame with a ramped chainring.

Plus, if you like the frame, no need to change. That said, I am partial to On-Ones frames. Had a couple (old V-Brake only SS Inbred and a mk1 Summer Season) and they seem to ride much better than their price tag suggests…

dannybee
    Free Member

Thanks for the replys,

I’m happy with the frame and setting up the tensioner. Suppose your right put the money saved towards a frame and get singlespeed specific chainring and a few other bits maybe a rear wheel the rockrider one seem to be a bit rubbish.

tazzymtb

have a looky on some SS specific forum and facebook groups, there are loads of second hand bits of decent quality from attention whores that can be donated to a good cause.

onecog cycling on facebook is a good start and just post up a “need to build an SS on a budget” and see what pops up.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Honest, running SS with a ramped ring will make you want to crawl into a corner and cry. £20 or something for a steel SS ring from On-One is well, well worth it.

For what a new frame would cost, you could get a tensioner, SS chain, SS ring, shorter chainring bolts and a pair of SS mandatory wiggly wonderful bars 😉

I’m awaiting a delivery from CRC and then my Curtis is ready to roll again. I’m more looking forward to riding a bike with Mary bars again than anything else!

dannybee
    Free Member

The on one bits say they use a 1/8in and 3/32in chain, Last time i used a 8 speed one (recommended by a mate)but could i use the 9 speed ones i already have 🙂

Is there anyway of knowing what size chain ring bolts i will need with the on one steel chain ring and deore crank or would i have to wait / guess?

tazzymtb

just get some short SS bolts, velosolo or charlie the bike minger from the web will sort you out (use charlie you get nice stickers as well ) 😀

Keef
    Free Member

or just cut some down with a grinder,if you’re on a budget 😉

amedias
    Free Member

charlie the bike minger

well… admittedly he’s not my type, but surely that’s a bit harsh!?

Bernaard
    Free Member

Try it with a tensioner if its your first dabble into the light of ss’ing
    As said some shorter chainring bolts and a bmx chain
    Then once you have the ss bug change the frame to one with ss specific dropouts or a ebb as its a lot neater
    Especially when your tensioner gives out

takisawa2

I’ve used Deore steel middle rings without any issues. For £10 – £12 you cant go wrong.

I have a nice shiny bag of specially designed brass spacers for using std chainring bolts as SS bolts. Email me your address & there will be some in ye olde post for you.

In fact I have a nice shiny Surly SS ring you can have for £15.

I have a couple of old issues of “The Outkast”. Now that WILL convert you.

dannybee
    Free Member

Just to add i bought the rockrider to replace my old gt that was running a ramped chainring with the bolts ground down and on one tensioner and cog. I bought the Rockrider as the gt needed a lot of new parts and i wanted to try gears, without getting into the whole geared / ss thing which has been done to death i cant get on with the gears so looking to make the rockrider singlespeed.

I have a budget or £200 so a new frame or even second hand will be tight and involve a bit of compromise where as keeping this frame and selling the gears i should be able to at least build it to look smart with maybe some money left for tyres 🙂

nickc

and a bmx chain

SS doesn’t need a special “tough” chain, any 8-9 speed one will do, there’s less tension when your SS than in the granny ring.

tazzymtb

I have a budget or £200

that got me a on old inbred 29er with carbon forks, wheels, stem and bars and slx crankset..

the bargins are there if you look 😀

dannybee
    Free Member

SS doesn’t need a special “tough” chain, any 8-9 speed one will do, there’s less tension when your SS than in the granny ring.

Thats good to know as i have 2 new 9 speed chains and powerlinks i just
    bought!

I’ve used Deore steel middle rings without any issues. For £10 – £12 you cant go wrong.

I have a nice shiny bag of specially designed brass spacers for using std chainring bolts as SS bolts. Email me your address & there will be some in ye olde post for you.

In fact I have a nice shiny Surly SS ring you can have for £15.

I have a couple of old issues of “The Outkast”. Now that WILL convert you

Email sent 🙂 So looks like i only need the on one rear conversion kit then maybe money for tarty bits leftover, What the outkast 😳

dannybee
    Free Member

that got me a on old inbred 29er with carbon forks, wheels, stem and bars and slx crankset..

the bargins are there if you look

I’m not the most patient person and everyone else seems to spot the bargains first 😆

tazzymtb

geneis io frame in medium for cock all money on flea bay

takisawa2

What the outkast…

A singlespeeding rag-mag.

dannybee
    Free Member

geneis io frame in medium for cock all money on flea bay

Seen that but think it would be too big for me im 5′ 9″ Old gt was 19″ but current steed is 16″

EDIT just re-looked and its smaller than i though, Coming around to keeping current frame now much easier lol

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘SS help / advice’ is closed to new replies.