Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • SRAM XX1 Chainring with regular/Non XX1 Chain/Cassette/Chain?
  • groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Just read that you can run a SRAM XX1 chainring with regular 10 speed set up gaining the benefit of the fancy teeth for chain retention but negating the need to buy the rest of the group set.

Anyone know if this is correct? It would be ideal for me if it is but I have only seen it written in this one article whereas others suggest you need to use the specific chain and the the chain is suitable for 11 speed only…..

slinkybike
    Free Member

It is possiable, two guys are doing it at work you just lose the bigger range of the xx1 cass. I think from memory they are using the reg 10 spd chain.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Thought the chainring had a different PCD. Cant see a normal 10 speed chain giving you the chain retention benefits when its designed to use the specific SRAM 11 chain. Thought it was an ‘all or nothing’ approach for it to work.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

slinkybike-do you know how they are getting on with chain retention?

Margin Walker-I thought it was all or nothing too but if it’s not then it would work well for me.

njee20
    Free Member

Thought the chainring had a different PCD. Cant see a normal 10 speed chain giving you the chain retention benefits when its designed to use the specific SRAM 11 chain. Thought it was an ‘all or nothing’ approach for it to work.

It is a new BCD, so you’ll need the cranks, will be fine then though. Nowt special about the chain.

That said… No one seems 100% certain of really how well the chain ring will work without a guide, my concern is that when it wears it’ll be like any other ring. Doubt it’ll be much good without a Shadow Plus or Type 2 mech.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I have the Type 2 Mech already so thats covered, plus chain cassette etc are new so wear won’t be an issue for a while hopefully if I go down that route!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

no chainguide on mine,

however cannot comment as wont get chance to get out on it until late next week work/kids

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Weird spec on the SC!?!?!?!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

What’s weird?

5spot
    Free Member

What does that SC weigh?looks nice!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

26lb on the nose

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

dirtyrider – Member
    What’s weird?

XC bike with dropper and flats.

njee20
    Free Member

Blur TRc innit? Looks normal enough to me. Flats are personal, dropper post pretty common these days.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    Blur TRc innit? Looks normal enough to me. Flats are personal, dropper post pretty common these days.

Fairy Muff but what about the purple disc caliper mounts 😯

njee20
    Free Member

Stupidly priced carbon shifter clamps and Superstar pedals are slightly at odds too!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Purple mounts off an old build, do the job

Superstar pedals are mag body to axle jobs at 269g ignore the brand :o)

It’s a tallboy not a trc

njee20
    Free Member

LT one, or normal? If the normal one then I agree with the above that it’s an odd spec!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

normal one,

dropper is standard these days, flats like you say are personal (i do have SPD’s they just aren’t fitted at the mo)

shifter clamps are from an old build, been on eBay for 6 months and no buyers so decided to keep them, same with the purple mounts,

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

dirtyrider-looks nice to me. Hope you get on well with the XX1-full system should work well.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

34’s because they came up for sale at a good price and the tech docs on the Santa Cruz website said it was alright with 140mm travel, rides superb, 34’s suit the 29ers better than spindly 32’s, plus i have the option to drop to 120/100mm if i want

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    LT one, or normal? If the normal one then I agree with the above that it’s an odd spec!

Posted 10 minutes ago # Report-Post

As I said 😉

Looking forward to the feedback re:XX1, I know Kulhavy chain never came off in the Olympics but intrested to see if it comes off with day to day riding.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘SRAM XX1 Chainring with regular/Non XX1 Chain/Cassette/Chain?’ is closed to new replies.