Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • SRAM XX1 28t Chainrings in Stock anywhere?
  • groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Sorry to be the pain but was wondering…..does anyone know of anywhere that has a 28t XX1 chainring in stock?

honourablegeorge

28t? With a 42t on the back?

Are you riding up walls?

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

No cant afford the whole set up but running the crank/chainring would allow me to stick with my current 28 front 36 rear easy gear but hopefully gain a bit more chain security in conjunction with a clutch mech.

honourablegeorge

MRP do a similar tiny ring for SRAM crabks, in that case. “Bling Ring” I think it’s called

XX1 Chain/Ring are specific to each other, dunno if a normal chain will run smoothly on it

njee20
    Free Member

XX1 Chain/Ring are specific to each other, dunno if a normal chain will run smoothly on it

It will.

Really though? 28-11 top gear? Spintastic. I’d suggest if you can’t push a 32t ring then a single ring setup isn’t really for you.

svalgis
    Free Member

If he/she is happy with 28-11 top gear and want good chain retention then surely a single ring setup would be perfect for him/her?

njee20
    Free Member

Yes, but my point is that a 28-11 would be a big compromise for the vast majority of people, and thus multiple front rings may offer a better solution. A single ring set up isn’t for everyone!

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

honourablegeorge-thanks for that. I already run a 28t bling ring on the other bike and it was/is my back up option. Was just seeing if the XX1 option was going to be possible.

njee20 thanks for the feedback but I will stick with it as it works well for my current fitness/terrain/bike setup. Personally I don’t understand people saying ‘if you really can’t do 32 single ring then you shouldn’t bother with 1×10 debate’. Doesn’t feel like a compromise at all for me. In fact its the happiest I have been with my drivetrain for a while.

svalgis-cheers!

njee20
    Free Member

Doesn’t feel like a compromise at all for me. In fact its the happiest I have been with my drivetrain for a while.

Good, as long as it works! Thought you were changing from a double, but doing it with your inner ring only.

chiefgrooveguru

njee20 thanks for the feedback but I will stick with it as it works well for my current fitness/terrain/bike setup. Personally I don’t understand people saying ‘if you really can’t do 32 single ring then you shouldn’t bother with 1×10 debate’. Doesn’t feel like a compromise at all for me. In fact its the happiest I have been with my drivetrain for a while.

I agree. The optimum cadence for max power varies from rider to rider – if you’re good at spinning (like BMXers or track racers) then there’s no reason not to run a smaller chainring on 1×10. I’m ok at spinning and can push 32t 11-36 to over 30mph – many can’t spin as fast and thus would find 32t restrictive but some can spin way faster and could use a smaller chainring or top out higher.

crankrider
    Free Member

Wouldnt a cheap chainguide be a better solution to keeping the chain on than an xx1 crank, chainring, chain etc setup?

£400+ VS £15 – £50?

An upper only guide like superstar, mrp, e13 etc

messiah
    Free Member

Wouldnt a cheap chainguide be a better solution to keeping the chain on than an xx1 crank, chainring, chain etc setup?

£400+ VS £15 – £50?

An upper only guide like superstar, mrp, e13 etc

Not with a 28t ring it won’t…

FWIW. I’m with groundskeeperwilly in that I’d rather lose a couple of gears off the end I rarely use anywhere other than the road to gain the spinny climbing gear I use more often in the MOUNTAINS near where I live.

For the local forests 32 up front is fine and it’s what I have on my hardtail… but for my big bike and the MOUNTAINS I want a lower gear. I currently run a Hammerschmidt which does give me a huge range of gears, but I would like to lose the weight and the complication. A front mech is not for me… and my big bike doesn’t have a cable stop for one 😉 .

There were some 28t XX1 rings on eBay USA yesterday when I was looking… pricey mind!

svalgis
    Free Member

Not with a 28t ring it won’t…

Good point, unfortunately, regarding ISCG and BB mounted versions. Depending on the frame, most seat tube mounted solutions should work though, right?

messiah
    Free Member

Seat mounted solution = top only guide… which didn’t work for me on a 1×9. It might do on a 1×10 with a clutch rear mech but I’ve not tried it.

njee20
    Free Member

Depends on terrain and that again – I’ve been fine with a top mounted guide on an XC bike running 1×10 with a normal mech.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input folks.

I have a top mount guide running on the other bike with the 28t bling ring and clutch rear mech and it works perfectly-no dropped chains in 6 months. The XX1 was for my Mojo HD-the top guide doesn’t quite work for it.

The HD has a specific Full guide made by MRP but its for 32t minimum front rings. I could always take the tools to one and attempt to modify it but that could end up being a costly mistake. The is a BB Mount AMG Guide coming out that will work but unsure when these will actually make it to the shops.

njee20
    Free Member

Wouldn’t a high mount seat tube guide work?

I made one for my Top Fuel:

Managed to break it after 2 years a few weeks ago, replaced with the Superstar one, which hopefully will work once I’ve sorted a better solution to the grub screw.

toons
    Free Member
    njee20
    Free Member

They’re good, decent price too.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Njee-very similar to the set up on my fuel ex. Doesnt sit correctly on the mojo though.
    Cheers toons-My German is a bit rusty-is the 28t definitely in stock?

toons
    Free Member

Think so! Try using Google Chrome it’ll translate it for you

adrenalindaddy
    Free Member

mrp micro g2 would be another option – more £’s though you get top and bottom

njee20
    Free Member

Green light suggests stock to me!

AlexSimon

Yay – hurray for toons – he actually answered the OP!

toons
    Free Member

Ta

kudos100
    Free Member

I agree. The optimum cadence for max power varies from rider to rider – if you’re good at spinning (like BMXers or track racers) then there’s no reason not to run a smaller chainring on 1×10. I’m ok at spinning and can push 32t 11-36 to over 30mph – many can’t spin as fast and thus would find 32t restrictive but some can spin way faster and could use a smaller chainring or top out higher.

Interesting. I had not really thought about it for mountain bikes, but as you say bmx’ers can spin ridiculous rpms. I hate front mechs, but put one back on my xc bike after riding in wales with a 32 11-34. It damn near killed me (I am a rider who pedals up to go down)

I may try an 11-34 with a 28 upfront and see how fast I can spin.

Edit: scrap that I am far too unfit at the moment to run that setup! Maybe an 11-36

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Just a follow up-apparently the green light just meant that they had ‘some’ XX1 chainrings-none in 28t variety though! Thanks anyway toons.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘SRAM XX1 28t Chainrings in Stock anywhere?’ is closed to new replies.