Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Sram X0 Grinding – Help
  • mluk2004
    Free Member

Hey I’m in real need of some help here,

I recently took my 2×10 X0 setup from an old hardtail and put it onto a new full sus frame. Today when setting it up im finding that when trying to shift into the lowest 2 gears the rear mech is grinding on the metal plate holding the jockey wheels.

I did a little bit of research into this and people said check the chain length, as I’ve just bought a bran new chain I made sure the chain was the correct length for the setup but no…. still the same issue.

The rear cassette is a cheaper Deore 11-32t one. The ‘B’ screw is in fully and now I’m completely out of ideads on what could be causing this since the setup ran fine on the older frame.

I have also changed the rear wheel from a 135 QR Axle to a 12×142 axle. Would this make a big difference?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Martin

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Did you set the chain length with the suspension compressed ? Otherwise is the mech hanger straight ?

mluk2004
    Free Member

No the bike wasn’t compressed at all when the chain length was set.

The mech hanger looks spot on, I don;t have the exact tool to check it.

Could it be possible that the mech itself is bent? I’d have thought the X0 mech was fairly robust?

shindiggy
    Free Member

Suspension should be compressed when setting chain length by letting the air out of rear shock or removing shock.

When the suspension is compressed by the riders weight and trail impact the chain length needs to be long enough to allow for this to happen. Otherwise you’ll have a snapped chain or tear your rear mech off.

gavstorie
    Free Member

I have also changed the rear wheel from a 135 QR Axle to a 12×142 axle. Would this make a big difference?

Yes.. you will need to reset your limit screws.

Also sounds like your chain is too short

mluk2004
    Free Member

I’ve done some fiddling about and I’m now even more confused. With the B screw fully extended I can’t get into the top two rings. No more grinding though.
    The reason I can get into the rings is that the mech is completely extended! It’s as if the mech wont reach over that far (even by hand) & I can’t add any spacers to the cassette to push it away from the hub as I then cant tighten the lock ring.

I’m beginning the think the issue lies in the design.

I’m trying to set up with:

Marin Mount Vision XM8 2013 frame.
    Eastong EA70 XCT 142×12 wheel
    Sram X0 10sp Long cage mech
    11-32t Deore Cassette

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

gavstorie – Member
    Yes.. you will need to reset your limit screws.

Also sounds like your chain is too short

+1

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Sram X0 Grinding – Help’ is closed to new replies.