Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Sram rear mech, weak spring?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

My Sram GX rear mech has real trouble changing down onto lowest two cogs (1×11 setup).

I spent hours tweaking everything to no avail – and it’s now been suggested by LBS it could be a problem with the spring in the mech.

That’s a new one on me, but has anyone else had the same? Any way to fix?

benpinnick

The cable routing isnt fouling the jockey arm is it? Seen that a few times.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ll have a look cheers Ben, but it’s been the same on two separate frames so probably not.

benpinnick

Its the mech set up that causes it not the frame – its where the cable runs around the little plastic loop that guides it towards the pinch bolt. That can foul the arm in 10 & 11 if the combo of chain length and b tension isnt right, preventing you from getting those two smallest cogs (if I am understanding your post right)… and is generally caused by the get the shortest chain you can to work approach to chain sizing – SRAM generally prefers the longest chain you can get away with, or at least one longer than the shortest that would not tear itself to bits anyway.

chakaping
    Free Member

Very useful thanks, chain is on short side. Will investigate.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I had this on a SRAM Rival 1×11 – I spent ages doing all sorts of adjustments per the usual instructions.

Gave up and took to bikeshop – they identified too short and tight a loop at the back into the mech. Replaced cable with a longer slacker loop, and shifting was sorted.

Didn’t stop the cable-end popping out at the shifter end though.

I think the whole system is much more friction-sensitive than good ol’ 3×9 🙂

billyboy
    Free Member

SRAM- basically you are their R & D department, and if it don’t work they might just give you the exact same bit again on warranty and that won’t work either.

vincienup
    Free Member

Not entirely fair.

SRAM stuff is generally differently engineered to Shimano and suffers when installed by people that don’t read the instructions because they know how to fit a mech, bb, crank whatever.

Possibly they sometimes make things more finicky than they need to be, but without someone pushing the industry forward we’d be stuck with whatever Shimano wanted to give us and their fixed product rotation.

b45her
    Free Member

just upgrade to sram eagle, then all you have to worry about is replacing the £80 jockey wheels and inner plate every few weeks when the thread for the top jockey wheel sheers off.

Northwind

The spring thing definitely was an issue for older SRAM (i’m still using some old 9-speed sram and the bike has to be parked in the highest gear, otherwise it won’t select it next time I ride it) So it might be just that they’re presuming “used to happen so that’s what it’ll be”

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Sram rear mech, weak spring?’ is closed to new replies.