Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • SRAM Guide barb/olive
  • st

I’m shortening the brake hose on a SRAM Guide R but am stuck on finding new olives and barbs. All the usual places I’d check are listing Avid ones only.

I remember using the screw in barbs on Juicys way back but this Guide R has a red coloured olive and what looks more like a Shimano push in barb.

So do I need to keep looking for a like for like replacement or do Sram brakes still use the old style barb for retro fitting?

Ta.

markoell
    Free Member

Pretty sure they use standard Avid hose barbs, unless you have one of the levers with the ‘stealthamajig’ fitting which usually has a red-anodised olive
    See below:

wzzzz
    Free Member

I used a shimano olive and push in insert in my sram rival one caliper when I should have really used one of the above.

Its hasn’t leaked or been a cause for concern.

Some here £2.38:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AVID-OLIVE-AND-BARB-HYDRAULIC-COMPRESSION-HOSE-DISC-BRAKE-SPARES-/272015116361?var=570919964682&hash=item3f555d4849:m:mVpYCUUF2rk6rKJEClgt__Q

The screw in inserts are much easier to use

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    st

Thanks guys. Looks like I have a stealthamjig so I’ll try to reuse the bits which I thought were scrap!

otsdr
    Free Member

You won’t be able to reuse the red compression fitting, just like you can’t reuse a regular olive.

According to the SRAM blurb below, the thingamajig is backwards compatible, so, as above, you’ll probably be able to use the regular bits.

SRAM Stealth-a-majig is a hydraulic brake olive and barb design that allows OE manufacturers to assemble their bikes with hydraulic brakes and eliminate the need for a bleed procedure on internally routed bikes.

With the introduction of Stealth-a-majig, there is a new olive and barb that must be used to properly engage the brake. This olive and barb is completely backwards compatible with any other SRAM or Avid brake.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Pretty sure we’ve got them in at The Trailhead in Shrewsbury if you’re struggling to find them

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘SRAM Guide barb/olive’ is closed to new replies.