Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Sram 2 x 10 gxp crank annoying play puzzle.
  • thecrookofdevon

As post states. Newish Sram gxp double fitted through Sram BB. Whatever I seem to do I always get an annoying bit of play on what appears to be the drive side. There is a gap between the crank arm and the BB cup which I am told is correct. There is also a pathetic looking plastic bushing which with an irregular protruding side which I think is supposed to fit within the BB. This bushing is looking a bit knackered now but not really surprising given the amount of play. Is there a fix to this or am I just being hopeless?

thecrookofdevon

Been out to the garage and swore at it but it still has play in it!

proflexforever
    Free Member

there is a washer type thing that goes on the non driver side before you do it up…it has GXP on it…if thats not there it will probably have play

thecrookofdevon

Thanks for the reply and the excellent exploded diagram. Didn’t see any washer when I originally fitted it. As I said in my original post there is a plastic bush type thing on the drive side (along with the flat seal for the non-drive side). However this didn’t seem particularly satisfactory and now seems to be eroded. Are you talking about some kind of metal or plastic washer which fills the gap between the crank and the BB? Can’t see it in the diagram!

proflexforever
    Free Member

the bit inbetween non drive side crank and BB….

i had t change my BB because the seal had failed and let water in and got rusty..

could well need a new BB bud

coatesy
    Free Member

The knackered looking plastic bush is probably the cause of play, may well be in that state because the bearing’s stiffened up causing it to spin and wear itself out.

thecrookofdevon

Can you get spares and if so where?

coatesy
    Free Member

Not sure if you can, not seen any myself. Best bet for the long term is probably a Hope BB with a GXP converter, not cheap, but GXP BB’s are known for short lifespans.

thecrookofdevon

Okay. Convinced the problem is the spacer thingy on the drive side which I must have put on the wrong way round when the notched side should have fitted the crank spider. Have just sent in to LBS so will see.

thecrookofdevon

LBS tells me via Mrs CofD that it is bottom bracket knackered. Don’t see how there is much wrong with the BB.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Sram 2 x 10 gxp crank annoying play puzzle.’ is closed to new replies.