Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Squirt free samples
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

How long did they take to arrive? not got mine after nearly 2 weeks and am looking forwards to the holy grail of lube!

foxyrider
    Free Member

less than a week about 6 months ago IIRC

speaker2animals

I got a sample early May. Think it took about 3 days. They were recycling old bottles with a sample of lube in at the time as their sample bottles were all gone. Maybe they are waiting for more proper samples to come over.

speaker2animals

BTW it seems ace so far on the road bike but not doen a wet ride yet to see if it washes off easily. Just make sure that you clean up the chain and drive train as good as you an before using it.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Not sure what time of day I entered my name and address, but it arrived next day or day after. I got a bottle with a small sample in. They sent an apology, they've run out of tester kits.

carbon337
    Free Member

B.A.Nana +1

Put 2 coats on and still have enough left for another application.

Do I need to wipe it off before riding – I have a few large lumps on the chain.

carl
    Free Member

racing_ralph
    email info@in2dust.co.uk today and i will sort it.All the orders leave same day and sample requests usually within 2.It may have gone missing.The postman has been collecting sacks full of sample requests during May.
    it sounds crazy but nearly half the requests have no address.Folk simply say sample please and often we recieve no reply to our mails requesting an address.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Hi carl – i have emailed you cheers
    look forwards to getting my sample 🙂

ollie
    Free Member

So far Squirt has been great, When my free sample finishes I will be buying some more.

DezB
    Free Member

the holy grail of lube

Prepare for mild disappointment.

davidrussell
    Free Member

I asked for a sample last week and it arrived a few days later – can't fault that service for a freebie.

Yet to use it though.

carl
    Free Member

cycling weekly called it the holy grail of chainlube,gave it 10 out of 10 and listed it in its top 10 of products for 2008.Not bad for a product that had no distributor in the UK at the time and has no relationship with the magazine in terms of advertising.
    DezB
    The reason i wouldnt have been as kind towards Squirt as cycling weekly was is because it takes a degree of care and intelligence to use and for most people thats a hassle.We just want to ride right?
    All i know is i havent degreased my chain for a year which in my world means less maintenance and more ride time.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

carl – what do i need to do before using squirt? did you get my mail?

traildog
    Free Member

I've had it on my road bike for a few months now and it has been by far the best lube I've used. The real test came last week when the weather was horrible, but it was all fine.

I actually find it by far the less faff of any other lube. You need to make sure you chain is well degreased and take care with the first couple of applications. From then on I have just wiped the chain with a cloth and re-lubed maybe once a week. The whole drive train is still gleaming clean and smooth. Replacing the worn gears on my main mountain bike soon so looking forward to trying it on that.

Andituk
    Free Member

Used my bike for the first time since putting the sample on, and I was impressed, nice and quiet, nice smooth shifting, and the chain looks nice and clean. I'll give it a few more rides and then buy a big bottle and stick it on my other bike too.

It is a bit of a faff the first time you apply it, but by all accounts its worth it.

carl
    Free Member

Racing_Ralph yes i have thanks.You ride in the peaks 🙂

I include a little note in with the sample which talks about the pro

a

s.Its not the usual marketing rubbish but very honest in highlighting the difference with oil and wax lubes.

With any lube you should start with a clean degreased and dry chain before applying.This is even more critical with Squirt.There lies the first problem for us in that alot of people dont degrease the chain properly or not at all and comments pop up about it being crap.Purple extreme is a good example of an oil based lube that i like that if you dont degrease a chain before application you get hugely different impressions when using so this isnt just a Squirt request.
    Now you have stripped the chain back to nothing you need to apply a good coating to the chain.Alot more then you would if you are used to running an oil based lube.Once you have done this once wait till it dries and do it again.This is only necessary for the first application.Unlike an oil you wipe of to help run clean dont wipe any Squirt of.
    Now is the part i wish i could change about a wax lube.They need to dry on the chain to get the best results.This means ideally they shouldnt be applied moments before you launch but rather the night before you ride.If its going to be a wet ride then this is important,if its dry then its less important.
    Now in theory you go and ride and come back and hopefully you havent even thought about your chain because Squirt did its job.This isnt always the case though.Lubes work differently in different locations.Steve Heading uses Squirt in the summer in the peaks but prefers an oil in winter due to the drying on the chain issue.Ant white races the muc off 8 in crappy conditions and tells me the lube works great.I read its good for road bikes not mtbikes,then i read its good for mtb bikes and not road bikes.People have different opinions and you have to respect them.
    Once you build the wax up on a chain after several applications you really notice the longegivity that dry lubes are not typical known for.Old pieced of wax dry and fall off or you can clean the chain with a stiff brush.What you will notice is no gunky rollers,no black gritty chains and no dirty looking cassettes.For me the attraction is the clean running not how long it lasts on the chain.I get mails asking me why squirt didnt last a 20 mile ride then Jason Miles sends me a mail saying how well Squirt worked at the solo 24.
    squirt isnt the holy grail of lubes but it comes close in many areas an oil lube we typically use falls short in.In the good summer weather we have at the mo in my opinion its the best out there.In winter you have to give some care and thought to using it which for some can out weigh its benefits.
    Ive been racing for 20 years all over the world but who wants to listen to me.If i told you look at the Squirt on Julian Absalons chain at the next world cup would you listen to him? Thats why we send out samples for free so you can try it yourself.If the other lube manufactures knew how many samples we send and what business that results in they would all be doing it but you have to believe in what you sell i guess.

wors

I bought some, i think it's good.

DezB
    Free Member

I wasn't criticising, I just don't think it's the holy grail 🙂
    I have used other wax based lubes and one in particular was easier to use and longer lasting. (Pace btw)
    I've still got a full bottle of Squirt, so once I get the time to degrease my chains I'll use it again, now it's the summer and the chain doesn't need so much post-ride washing.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

mine came in 2 days- not used it yet though

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I've only used my sample on the canal commuter mtb so far (mostly rough towpath), the chain was washed and scrubbed in meths (it was all I had to hand), I did two applications the night before first ride. So far, I like it, slick shifting and clean chain which runs quietly. However, I think most lubes used on a canal bike, in nice weather, would work well. The nice thing so far is that I have a single front chainring which keeps dropping the chain, but my hands don't get dirty from replacing the chain as the chain remains clean. Soon I'll be trying it on a propper mtb ride.

mustard
    Free Member

The Hub in The Forest at Glentress still use it exclusively on their hire bikes – I'd say that's quite high praise as they're getting jet washed and scrubbed after every use.

I liked my freebie and bought a big bottle when I was at the Hub at the weekend. I'll be chucking the Finish Line in the bin and using this on all my bikes from now on.

Whyte
    Free Member

I think squirt is great, as Carl said I use it most of the time, but on winter on my training/commuting bikes (mtb and road) I’m still using oil. This is because these bikes don’t get looked after – put away wet in a cold damp shed. In these conditions squirt will not dry and coat the chain properly. The ‘best’ bikes always remain on squirt. These get cleaned, the chain is removed and (in the house) dried and squirt applied – the squirt then performs well in winter conditions.
    Steve Heading

shaggy

More agreement here. I use it all year round on most bikes just the winter commuter that still uses wet lube.

Frankers
    Free Member

Ok it's a wax lube, is it any different from White Lightening?

fontmoss
    Free Member

hmmm can i email the same address as above for a sample? sounds worth trying

Jamesy
    Free Member

just sent u an email Carl cheers

racing_ralph
    Free Member

got it carl – many thanks. will report back when i have used it

D0NK

Using squirt at the mo, tends to need reapplying after each ride but could be due to not degreasing chain thoroughly first, will try that.
    Winter use? Went out in Feb as all the snow was melting, I had forgotten to lube my chain after the last postride clean so I started getting chain suck couple of miles in. Found the squirt demo I got from STW weekender in my 'bak and applied that. Chain was fine for the rest of a 43mile very wet brutal ride (pity my freehub exploded near the end or I'd have been nudging 50)

So yeah I'd trust it for winter use.

grievoustim
    Free Member

I have been using it for just over a year on all my geared bikes.

I'm still using finish line wet on the single speeds – because these bikes have a tough life over the winter. I'm happy to use squirt on the geared road bike over the winter though – just have to take a moment after a wet ride to dry the chain with a cloth, then re-lube a dry chain, leaving enough time for the lube to dry before starting the next ride.

it really is good stuff though – degreasing now only really happens before I fit a new chain.

gamo
    Free Member

I did the black then 80% of the red at GT on Sunday, weather pretty wet
    yet my chain was still nice and quiet at the end of the ride. Seems good so far.

DickBarton

Been using it since October last year – been superb…I'm almost about to admit to myself that it helped prolong the wear on a couple of my rings! When I'm on the road I sit in the big ring (more out of laziness than ability) – but when I applied Squirt I only run it on the big ring and 3rd smallest ring on the cassette (a common gear for me – pretty much all my road work is done in this gear) – anyway, replaced the cassette earlier this week and that was the only ring that wasn't showing the same amount of wear as the others were – I think it was because it had a coating of Squirt on it and the other rings didn't – sounds really daft. Replaced the cassette/chain and chainrings so I've degreased the chain and applied Squirt to the chain – let it dry overnight and then reapplied a load and then shifted round the cassette and chainrings to make sure they are all coated as well…

It's really good stuff…I apply it once a fortnight and it just seems to do the job…really good stuff.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Squirt free samples’ is closed to new replies.