• This topic has 19 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by juan.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Square tapered bottom bracket for a mtb.
  • juan
    Free Member

Who still do a nice and ‘light’ one that will wisthand a proper off road use?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Phil wood if your feeling flush
    Best place to ask is probably on the star bike forums
    Just search for weight weenies website

emanuel
    Free Member

skf.
    shimano 50somethings are cheap,and work acceptably.

wwaswas

Royce?

dribbles;

orangeboy
    Free Member

I hadtwo of those Royce ones but could not stand the creaking so removed them both

oxym0r0n

Un55 or there are a couple of un72s on the bay at the moment… Just fitted one to my new bike after it sitting in the spares box for about 5 years – still smooth as butter

Edit; spend the money saved on weight saving elsewhere – the new `55s have an alloy non-driveside cup too which is much better than the cracking plastic one of the un54

cookeaa

Yep basic shimano does the job at a competitive price

coatesy
    Free Member

I still have two Royce units, installed them properly and have no creaks at all.

orangeboy
    Free Member

The first one was my fault I ignored the instructions
    The second I went to great effort to do it right with , even riding up ad down the road with a torque wrench in pocket
    To bed it all in but still creaked

Don’t know If it matters but I was a ti hardtail

I do still use a Royce racing gold on a road bike and its fine but never gets wet or dirty

69er
    Free Member

I have Royce bb’s on my two mtb’s, my fixie and road bike. None of them creaks (it’s not that difficult installing them, just read the instructions!). They are superlight and fully serviceable.

As my dad is fond of saying ‘you get what you pay for’!

And if you’re patient, and rich, and you want a single ring set up – the Royce trilobe design is stunning;

MTB version coming sometime!

orangeboy
    Free Member

I’ve just had a thought both times I’ve had creaky Royce bb has been with the same pair of cranks
    If I blame those I could buy some new ones , love those shiny ones above

coatesy
    Free Member

Mine creaked with an old XT set, not a peep from my RS7s.

djflexure

I have a spare 123mm Royce but its probably too long for you.

They are nice.

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

I use a Gentic Kyrotype BB – on the singlespeed – it nice and spinny – no craking & gets proper off road use & abuse all year round – it been in for about 12 months no problems
    null

andrewh
    Free Member

Royce are nice.
    Tune do a very light one (UK importers Poshbikes are a PITA, can be had from Starbike in belgium, they are very good)
    TA-Specialities do a light one, cheaper than Tune.
    UN74 is great though, like a UN54 but with a hollow axle, last forever.
    Or keep an eye on fleabay, I got very lucky and got a brand new, old stock, XTR-UN91 for £13, right axle length and everything, perfect.

juan
    Free Member

Thanks everyone
    I’ll have a look for TA

juan
    Free Member

What is the rules about the shimano ones? UN74 = XT?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Got a square tapered Phil sitting in a cupboard not used for a few years. Think its 113 or 111mm and the outer lockrings were 73mm with a phils socket for £20 plus a bit of post ? Think the bearings are OK but may need a strip and clean as not used for a while. Not the lightest being a cromoly axle, but fit and forget when its in.

Militant_biker

I run a UN7? on the MTB and a TA Axix on the road bike. Although it’s the standard TA one, not the Ti version , which is the only one that Chicken seem to stock these days. The TA Axix is very nice – just tap off the old bearings and press on new ones when they wear out.

juan
    Free Member

Trusty just if you wnat just find out the price of post to France, it might be quite a bit

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Square tapered bottom bracket for a mtb.’ is closed to new replies.