Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • sprockers.. sprollies.. labradoodles and puggles..
  • yunki
    Free Member

we’re off to look at a litter of jugs today… how do you feel about that..?

LHS
    Free Member

Plenty of lovely unwanted dogs out there in Animal Shelters if you don’t need to have a “Designer Dog”.

Paws for thought.

TooTall
    Free Member

Middle class mongrels. Just as much chance of getting the worst of both breeds as any of the good points. Pointless, especially when there are other mongrels out there needing love without the designer tag and price.

yunki
    Free Member

rescue dogs: been there.. done that.. it’s great.. would recommend it to anyone.. this is our first venture outside of those parameters in fact..

we need a puppy though as we have a 13 month baby and would like the two to grow together.. It’s safer and more sensible than relying on the supposed good nature of a rescue dog in our minds..

kinda666
    Free Member

We’ve got a Pug and shes fantastic, loves everyone and everything

TooTall
    Free Member

It’s safer and more sensible than relying on the supposed good nature of a rescue dog in our minds..

Nope – still a mongrel with the same issues – uncontrolled cross-breeding that gives as much chance for the worst traits of both breeds coming out as the good traits. I’ve not seen one yet that I’ve thought ‘best of both’. Getting a puppy is the same risk as getting a mongrel puppy.

mattbee

I think what he means by that is that a rescue is likely to be older than 6-8 weeks, which is when he’ll collect the posh mongrel, so he knows it is not carrying any ‘baggage’ as far as training etc goes.

DezB
    Free Member

Pretty cute. Not sure it’ll make a trail dog though 😉

sharkbait
    Free Member

Why would you want a ‘mix’ when you can get the real deal? I’m not a big fan of anything labrador (merely becuase they always seem to end up fat but ymmv) but why should a cross of a springer/cocker be good?
    If you want a very energetic, outdoors-based dog (with shooting potential) get a Springer. If you want less energetic but still outdoor-based (at least as good for shooting) go for a Cocker from a good pedigree – by which I mean shooting/field trials pedigree absolutely not show-dog.

Morgan 1997-2010 RIP matey 🙁

willard

Cockers are less energetic? No way!

We have both a springer and a cocker and the small one has all the energy of the big one, but in a body that is under half the size. He’s like a small furry rocket!

That said, both are amazing dogs and I would not part with them for the world.

anagallis_arvensis

Nope – still a mongrel with the same issues – uncontrolled cross-breeding that gives as much chance for the worst traits of both breeds coming out as the good traits. I’ve not seen one yet that I’ve thought ‘best of both’. Getting a puppy is the same risk as getting a mongrel puppy.

You seem to have swallowed the kennel club propaganda hook line and sinker.

fbk
    Free Member

It does amaze me that people will pay a lot of money for what is effectively a “Posh mongrel”.

headfirst
    Free Member

Hmmm, I still think you’re better off with a house-trained young rescue dog. I’m sure they’re out there, have you been to your local one yet this time around?

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’d personally be wary of any rescued dogs / puppies. They all seem to have baggage of one sort or another. At least with puppies you have a chance of educating them first.
    I wouldn’t be leaving anything to chance if you have a little one about the house.
    All this cross breeding stuff with silly names, they’re still just mongrels. Just they’re created by controlled matings, rather than 2 dogs having a random hump in the street.

LHS
    Free Member

I’d personally be wary of any rescued dogs / puppies

Fantastic, I am sure all the dogs who have been unloved and neglected will be doing back-flips at that comment.

Much better to breed lots of new desiger dogs and have lots of rescue dogs put down!

This new designer dog thing winds me up. Someone in our village got a miniture poodle, knowing that they have massive genetic issues with weak bones etc. Shock horror poor poodle breaks leg, shock horror they’re not willing to pay the £2000 for the operation. Another early terminated life.

TooTall
    Free Member

You seem to have swallowed the kennel club propaganda hook line and sinker.

Nope – real world experiences. I despise most of the ‘pedigree’ standards established and run by the KC – they need taking apart and putting back together. I hate what breed standards has done to bassets and other dogs. This post is to do with mixing breeds with known traits through uncontrolled breeding rather than anything else.

anagallis_arvensis

tootall, its been going on with great success with lurchers for hundreds of years.

Problem with “designer crosses” is the number of people out to make a cheap buck, mind you this is the same with many pedigree dogs.

headfirst
    Free Member

Problem with “designer crosses” is the number of people out to make a cheap buck, mind you this is the same with many pedigree dogs.

Amen brother.

I’d personally be wary of any rescued dogs / puppies. They all seem to have baggage of one sort or another.

WTF?? Based on what actual experience???

sharkbait
    Free Member

Cockers are less energetic? No way!

‘Energetic’ was a nice way of saying ‘bonkers’ 🙂

TooTall
    Free Member

its been going on with great success with lurchers for hundreds of years.

You mean ‘breeding with an aim’ and knowing what traits you want out of it? Yes – working dogs tend to have that background. The current fad doesn’t and has no discernable output other than a new ‘revenue stream’ for breeders.

kinda666
    Free Member

I’ve been looking into rescuing a Boxer after losing mine last year :(, and every rescue site I’ve looked at puts them into foster homes first to assess them, then try and match the dogs to there potential owners and forever homes! 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

cockers? Labradors? I’m sure I read somewhere that the OP was looking at jug puppies 😕

langy
    Free Member

Uncle – in – law (so to speak…) has a labradoodle as the “house” dog to compliment his working farm dogs.

Great dog, take it swimming in the sea, kick the footie for it, clip it with the sheep shears.

langy
    Free Member

Just read in more depth – it seems a designer mongrel is a bad thing, yet an inbred (and not an on-one) is fine…

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’m sure I read somewhere that the OP was looking at jug puppies

Interesting suject title then:
    sprockers.. sprollies.. labradoodles and puggles..

clip it with the sheep shears

Is he the sheep farmer off the Specsavers advert?

DezB
    Free Member

There’s more to a thread than just the title!

bigyinn
    Free Member

LHS – Member

I’d personally be wary of any rescued dogs / puppies

Fantastic, I am sure all the dogs who have been unloved and neglected will be doing back-flips at that comment.

headfirst – Member

I’d personally be wary of any rescued dogs / puppies. They all seem to have baggage of one sort or another.

WTF?? Based on what actual experience???

To answer both of you, who seem to have taken exception to my personal opinions. Perhaps I have over generalised a tad.
    I have a friend who works for a dog rescue kennels and to get some rescued dogs into some sort of reasonable behavioural pattern can take years. Im not saying ALL rescued dogs are this way, but im not prepared to risk the face of my young son to prove you right wrong.
    Im against all this designer dog breeding bullshit, much the same as i am to the pedigree breeding.

anagallis_arvensis

You mean ‘breeding with an aim’ and knowing what traits you want out of it? Yes – working dogs tend to have that background. The current fad doesn’t and has no discernable output other than a new ‘revenue stream’ for breeders.

I fail to se how thats different for designer mongrels or pedigree dogs

TooTall
    Free Member

Just read in more depth – it seems a designer mongrel is a bad thing, yet an inbred (and not an on-one) is fine…

Erm….nope. Mixing breeds then hoping the outcome is a good pet has lots of risks. Single breeds have known traits, both good and bad, but both parents have the same traits – therefore you have more chance of knowing how the offspring will behave.

anagallis_arvensis

its not a huge amount different when you mix two known breeds, biggest input is upbringing anyway. Mix a cocker and springer and you dont end up with something that behaves like a pitbull.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Mix a cocker and springer and you dont end up with something that behaves like a pitbull

True, but what’s the point?

hp_source

I’m all for Rescue/rehomed dogs… this little fella came from a Springer Rescue who’d had a litter donated to them, he’s half working / half show breed springer, so about the least mixed breed of the lot! He’s coming up to four months old and is fantastic, too clever for his own good sometimes, but that’s “character” isn’t it??? 😉

My parents on the other hand have an 18 month old Springerdoodle, which is very loveable but slightly too boisterous.

Shandy
    Free Member

If you want to be sure of what kind of dog you are getting.

Pick a breed whose “typical” characteristics appeal to you.
    Find a pedigree breeder with a good reputation who won’t sell you a cross-bred dog with congenital defects.
    Train the dog well from day one.

If you are going to go for a mixed breed you should still try and see a pedigree on both sides, its the only way to determine there hasn’t been inbreeding. The worse thing you can do is buy a “cheap” pedigree or cross-breed as these are the dogs which have the biggest genetic problems.

kinda666
    Free Member

Alot of pedigree dogs are line bred though, have a look through a dogs pedigree and you’ll see alot of the same names on it, sometimes a little too close for comfort!

ahwiles
    Free Member

inbreeding, it’s bad, ok?

spot the difference:

&

I_did_dab
    Free Member

Mutts are generally healthier than pedigree dogs.
    IMHO calling a sprocker a mutt (or mongrel) is stretching it a bit as the demarcation between the breeds is relatively recent and was on the basis of the size of the dog. Our cocker is pedigree (from a show champion, dontcha know), but probably has some Sussex spaniel in the mix going way back.

@hp_source
    – too cute

noteeth
    Free Member

One of the most superb dogs I’ve ever known was my uncle’s German Shepherd/Labrador/Border Collie, umm, thing.

glenp
    Free Member

A lot of snobbish nonsense can be heard on this subject. A pedigree dog is just as likely to be badly bred from too small a lineage. A cross-breed can be well bred from well chosen parents. etc.

I saw a dog from my dog’s parents’ previous litter, and it was a lovely beast, plus I checked out the owners and the lineage of both parents. And I was/am very happy.

yunki
    Free Member

Lots of interesting views here..
    We travelled a considerable distance today and I’m satisfied that we came to a well informed decision based on our own previous experience.. a deposit was paid and we’ll be travelling again to collect our newest family member in a couple of weeks..

Regarding the designer price tag.. (which appears to be the sticking point and forms the basis for many of the negative comments if truth be told)..well.. the lack of austerity is not at all to my taste..

..HOWEVER.. my other half has been the driving force behind the whole venture.. and we are both aware that after adding up travel costs.. price tag.. insurance.. jabs.. blah blah blah ad infinitum.. then I am looking at a good numger of guilt free mtb purchases over the next 12 months..

I’ve known great dogs come from any number of humble beginnings and I’ve known awful dogs from very lofty backgrounds and vice versa.. I’m fairly confident that our middle ground specimen will bring us a lot of joy..

full of win(alot)

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘sprockers.. sprollies.. labradoodles and puggles..’ is closed to new replies.