Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)
  • SPOTY 2014
  • Gary_C

Great acceptance speech from Sir Chris Hoy.

northernmatt

Hamilton then

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Wanted Jo pavey to win. Hopefully the car driver doesn’t win.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

FFS.

mikey74
    Free Member

Deserved win.

robfury
    Free Member

Balls! Who voted for that egomaniac!

euans2
    Free Member

Happy for Lewis, well deserved!

scotroutes

Yep

milky1980
    Free Member

😀 😳 😈

ampthill

Well it’s good for F1….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A good winner, being top of your game in any sport deserves a lot of recognition. A season long battle with your team mate is probably the toughest thing to do.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I think he was so emotional as he got to stand next to king kenny. Fair dos.

ElShalimo

Dull bloke, dull sport, dull UK public

bikebouy
    Free Member

Predictable, no ?

mboy
    Free Member

It’s only been won by a royal in 1971 btw..

You missed 2006 then, when her daughter won it? 😕

langylad
    Free Member

Couldn’t quite put my finger on it, but the wife did. ‘That bloke is false and lacks soul’.
    She doesn’t normally do sport but i thought it quite perceptive

Defender
    Free Member

All the finalists deserved to win, but there can only be one winner.
    Lewis is the best in the world.
    I hope he goes on to take another world title and equal Sir Jackie Stewarts tally of titles.

johndoh
    Free Member

ElShalimo – Member
    Dull bloke, dull sport, dull UK public
    POSTED 11 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Dull post

cloudnine
    Free Member

Why would you take a bulldog along? Tries desperately to look cool but comes across as a chavy cockwomble

MrSmith
    Free Member

As a dedicated sportsmen he’s o.k. It’s the fans/hangers on with their baggy shirts tucked in to their chinos and monogrammed blouson jackets I can’t stand.

mefty
    Free Member

I think it has lost it as a progamme, I watched 20 mins which coincided with the commonwealth games section. An event I didn’t watch at all. I have very little idea who won anything as a result of the section they did. I guess it is a function of the age and the assumption that the knowledge is easy to obtain if you desire.

lazybike
    Free Member

Must be great to be in a “sport” where you only have to beat one bloke to be world champion…

teenrat

Its a joke now. As John Mcguiness has said on twitter, why werent Simon Andrews and Karl Harris mentioned in the section about lost sportsmen and women but the well known “sportsman” Malcolm Glazer was. And also, why is Ronnie O’Sullivan never nominated? – he won the uk champs and got a 147 with a broken ankle! Motorcycling and snooker obviously not fashionable enough or high enough on the sporting agenda!!

Edric64
    Free Member

Snooker isnt sport

teenrat

Edric 64 – and horse dancing is?

Last time i looked, snooker was covered by BBC sport.

aracer
    Free Member

At least it wasn’t the walk spoiler – though I’m now kicking myself because there wasn’t actually a catch when the bookies were offering very generous odds on Lewis.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Oh bllx he won. Was it worth watching back? Any highlights?

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

You missed 2006 then, when her daughter won it?

Zara holds no royal title… 😉

Can’t say I’m particularly pleased Lewis won, but it takes more work than I think any of us are capable of to get where he’s got. Just a shame JB didn’t win when he took the WDC.

aracer
    Free Member

I was thinking maybe there was somebody more worthy, and then I checked 👿

imnotverygood

It just proves that motor racing fans seem to be well represented in SPOTY TV audiences. Dunno why that should be.

cheez0
    Free Member

Ronnie is undoubtably an absolute legend and gifted at his game

but he’s not really an ‘ambassador’ is he?

gj lewis by the way.

‘Walk spoiler’ – descriptor of the day 🙂

muggomagic

To win it your sport or achievement would need to capture the voting publics attention. Hamilton’s battle with Rosberg has clearly done that this year. He hasn’t really had that much in the way of completion from the more popular sports this year either.

As with all these popularity contests, I wonder if those complaining about the winner actually bothered voting for the person they wanted to win.

mt
    Free Member

I thought the skier lass was bold, did not realise her vision was so limited.
    The Invitus people and any of the Para-Olympians were a great reality check.
    Loved the unsung hero award.
    Them world champ women rugby players also impressive and well deserved.
    Apart from Lineker enjoyed it this year.
    Did feel that the intros to the big star nominees were a tad biased, where was the dry ice and light show for Joe Pavey and the others who don’t live in the high net income sports world.

Hamilton should be paying his tax in the UK or be banned from pretending he is proud of being British.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m not sure I like the change to the new talent show format, it’s all a bit Phoenix Nights for me. That said, Alonso’s Borat impression was inspired, and by golly, who’d have ever known that Carlos Valderamma could sing like that – if you squinted it might as well have been Beyoncé. Pity it was won by some generic footballer.

lunge

An underwhelming result in my opinion. I don’t know why but Lewis evokes no emotion, positive or negative, from me, very odd. I’d have been happy to see Rory McIlroy win, though I did vote for Jo Pavey.

I don’t think it has been a vintage year for sport in all honesty, no truly outstanding performances in my eyes at least though my brother (golfist) and best mate (motor racing fan) heavily disagree with me.

soulrider
    Free Member

At least it was exceptional performances that placed the nominees on the list (despite it not having one of this bunch Carpenter, Bryceland, Atherton on the list)
    Was there any mention in the show of the Outstanding performance of the British Downhill team at the World Championships who literally blew the world away ???

No ??? am not surprised .. it used to be a celebration of British Sportsman competing and winning at the highest levels .. what is it now?? poop.

nickjb
    Free Member

Was there any mention in the show of the Outstanding performance of the British Downhill team at the World Championships who literally blew the world away ???

No ??? am not surprisedErm, yes. They got a mention. It was brief though

Notter
    Free Member

It’s the program itself that’s the issue now, if you recall it was always called “Sports Review of the Year”, not “Sports Personality….”. And that’s why it was so good, it was a genuine review of the sporting year with an award tacked onto the end of it. I may have fast forwarded the horse racing roundup but at least you got to see a spectrum of performances across a variety of sports.

All it is now is 2 hours where they spend 10 minutes per nominee (and not actually showing properly what they did, just some arty piece about how hard they’ve worked blah-blah) and 20 minutes giving awards. How much actual sport was shown last night? As a percentage of the show it must be buttons.

Shame as it was always one of the must watch December programs for me, I think this will be the last year that I do….

ratnips
    Free Member

The BBC website says “Ryder Cup captain Paul McGinley named Coach of the Year” Not sure how someone who captained/managed a team in a week long event can be coach of the year!?!

MoreCashThanDash

Because he has been working with his potential team for at least a year before the week long event?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘SPOTY 2014’ is closed to new replies.