Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Spot tracker, any users here, advice
  • Denis99
    Free Member

I ride mainly on my own and quite alot of the time don’t meet anyone out on the local trails in mid week.

Been thinking about getting a Spot Tracker just in case of a mid ride mishap in the less populated / frequent areas.

Any advice on getting one etc would be appreciated.

scotroutes

I frequently use one. I live on the edge of the Cairngorms and cycle/walk throughout the Scottish Highlands so I’m often riding in remote locations where there is no phone signal or prospect of a handy passer-by.

I tend not to bother so much if I’m in a group.

I’ve been thinking of a blog post about Spot and my use of it. Maybe now would be a good time 🙂

oliverracing

I’ve got a spot gen3, I don’t use it on daily rides but when heading into the mountains I tend to chuck it in my pack. I was bought it by my family when I cycled to slovenia as my mum was fretting, it’s nice for when I do multi day bikepacking/off road touring trips as I know that even if my phone is out of battery I still have another method to get help.

GregMay
    Free Member

I’ve had one for 4 years now – Gen1 and a Gen3 now. Mostly use it for when I’m riding on my own so my wife can stalk me for safety – which she usually forgets to do. Use it for bikepacking races as well – Tour Divide etc.

If you want an old Gen 1 just shout – you can have it for the price of postage and a pint.

whitestone
    Free Member

I got a second hand gen-2 SPOT, primarily for those races/ITTs where they are required.

The main downside (for me) is that you can’t just get a month’s subscription, you have to sign up for a year and it’s not cheap: £100+

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Been on the website but can’t really work out how the spot system works – as well as the tracker itself do you need a subscription for it to work or can you just buy the device and once active family can log in to a website and see where you are?

GregMay
    Free Member

You need a unit.
    You need a subscription – now more expensive as Sterling has crashed.
    You need batteries – you can use an external cache with the Gen3 but waterproofness is then lost.

You set up a page for you which the SPOT chirps your location to – or use the mobile app which is easier.

During orginised races/ITT’s it’s a bit different , but not applicable for most.

scotroutes

You need a subscription.

I also use Spotwalla.com for longer trips. On that I can upload my planned route and anyone following me can see my progress and deviations.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Thanks both – makes sense for longer, more remote travels then, but potentially overkill in the wilds of the Chilterns!
    cheers

scotroutes

If you’re guaranteed a mobile data signal then there are a number of tracking systems using your phone that won’t require subscription (e.g. Endomondo). Watch for battery life, though unlikely to be an issue on short rides.

Denis99
    Free Member

Thanks, I will have a look into it.

Gotama
    Free Member

If you use Strava then they also have their beacon system available although it requires you to be a premium member.

DanW
    Free Member

If you use Strava then they also have their beacon system available although it requires you to be a premium member.

… and a phone signal presumably?

thegreatape
    Free Member

From the other side, I know it works. We got a phone call one day from the Spot call centre somewhere in America. Gave us relevant personal details and grid reference of a bloke who’d activated his tracker. System seemed to work pretty well. In some parts of the country, as scotroutes alludes to, you could be missing for a long time without anyone finding you.

Denis99
    Free Member

No longer a Strava user.

I found little use for it, and thought it was expensive for what it offered me.

Since ditching the Strava tracking I have found that I have relaxed in my riding, I was finding that I felt I couldn’t have a ride without logging distance and segments.

Tried it, but it’s not for me anymore.

Digby

I’ve got a Delorme InReach. Similar to a SPOT tracker but also means you can send a text via the Iridium Satellite network. One-off setup charge and flexible monthly subscriptions are available depending on desired usage.

Bought mine for an Arctic trip, but it’s proved very handy when bike-packing out of mobile phone coverage.

km79
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking of a blog post about Spot and my use of it. Maybe now would be a good time

Yes please.

molgrips
    Free Member

There are a number of spot devices. Besides the basic tracker there’s one that you can pair to a phone via bluetooth and send text messages out via the satellite system. Costs more though per months iirc.

The basic Spot lets you pre-programme an ‘I’m ok’ message and an ‘I need help’ non-emergency message, in addition to the emergency SOS one. Tracking is also available from the basic unit but that costs more too.

Denis99
    Free Member

GregMay

Can I take you up on your offer of the Gen1 unit.

My email is in my profile

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Spot tracker, any users here, advice’ is closed to new replies.