Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Spooky Metalhead – is it worth it?
  • Jakester
    Free Member

I have a beloved original Spooky Metalhead – apparently one of the earlier frames, so Mr The Welder told me a while back.

It's currently set up as 1×9 with old-school centrelock Hope Bulb hubs and D521s, an XT 4-pot, Profile Racing Cranks, and the concession to modernity, a Pike, wound down.

It doesn't see much use – I have Bike2Work road bike, and a beast of a full susser do everything bike, so it's languished at the back of the cupboard for a while, unloved since the road bike arrived last summer.

Now, I love the bike but with the pig iron cranks, beefy frame and DH wheelset it weighs a ton. The upside is that it'll plough through anything at speed, but the downside is it's a swine to climb on (particularly with the 1×9 and the fact I'm a fat chuff).

I don't really do any dirt jumping anymore, nor street riding (and in fact I'm lucky to even be able to get out on any bike) and opportunities are likely to occur even less with the impending birth of my first sprog.

In my more idle moments at work, I've been contemplating getting something a touch less uncompromising, such as a Cotic Soul – a "do anything" hardtail.

Would I be stupid to think about selling the Spooky? We only have limited space, as I have to keep all bikes indoors because of local thieving scrotes (I speak from experience).

If so, is it worth owt? I suppose I could sell the wheels, frame/cranks and forks separately (or keep the forks for a Soul?).

What do people think? I've had some great times on that bike, but it seems a shame to consign it to the back of the cloakroom cupboard…

Dylan08
    Free Member

Sold my metalhead 2 years ago – early frame in snot green

got £295 (frame only) on evilbay

Had a Spooky Project X DH bike for a short while too – sold to a pal for £500 (Full Bike)

Bandwaggon's seem to got for £100-200 ish (Frame only)

Hope that helps

yossarian
    Free Member

DO NOT SELL IT

Your chances of replacing it in a year or two when you regret selling are zero.

A cotic soul would make a very capable 'do it all' hardtail – although would you actually ride it given you have a full suss and a road bike?

strip the spooky down and just keep the frame. You can spend some time and proper dosh on rebuilding it when time and finnaces allow in the future.

Dylan08
    Free Member

PS – the REAR discmount's are like GOLD DUST

Jakester
    Free Member

Dylan – mine doesn't actually have the chainstay drillings for disc mounts!

Yoss – I'm kind of thinking of a return to hardtail love, so would probably ride a hardtail over the full suss, particularly as the closest place to me is Cannock Chase, so a 6.5" squish is probably overkill for all but the "Chainslapper" 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Spooky Metalhead – is it worth it?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM