Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Specialized Warranty headaches
  • gavinnn
    Free Member

Took my carbon Specialized bike back to the shop I bought it from 3 weeks ago for pretty bad peeling lacquer on the top tube. It started as a tiny spec of dust under the lacquer which slowly turned into peeling, which has got progressively worse with all the riding and subsequent washing.

The guy in the shop pretty much concluded there and then that I had done it by either hitting it or clamping it. Neither of those things are true. It’s always clamped by the seat post, is stored inside my house and it travels inside a van. Still he said he’d send pictures off and see what they say. The whole exchange didn’t seem very impartial at all.

Anyway, 3 weeks has passed and I’ve now been told I need to send it off to Carbon Cycle Solutions for inspection and I’ll be without a bike for 6-8 weeks.

I’m really disappointed in the service here both from the store and specialized, it feels like neither of them are on my side, I bought a Spesh because I believed their warranty is one of the best. I don’t think I’d do that again.

I’m not sure what to do, I could be without my bike for 8 weeks and it could all be a waste of time.

Do I send it in and miss a good 2 months of riding (just as spring is springing) or not bother, carry on and suck it up.

Also, I don’t suppose there’s anyway for a customer to talk directly with someone at the brand?

Thanks 🙂

paddy0091
    Free Member

6-8 weeks is mad. Can you use another carbon repair place and provide a report? Say you use it every day for commuting or something…

I’d have no doubt that the bike would be hanging up for nearly all 8 weeks until said ‘inspection’ is done anyway.

tjagain

Any delay in dealing with claims must be “reasonable ”  that is pushing it in my view.

You dont have a huge amount of leverage here tho.  What outcome do you want?

gavinnn
    Free Member

I’d love them to repair it in less than 8 weeks, or loan me something for the meantime, or provide me with a new frame. As it stands it’s upto 8 weeks for inspection. Which seems mad to me. Guy in the store is absolutely zero help either. Very much computer-says-no

iainc

doesn’t seen right that you need to send it off, surely the shop should do that ? Is the person you are dealing with the boss, can you escalate ?

I have had really good warranty support over the years from LBS on both Spesh and Giant bikes

goldfish24

Yeah, that’s not good enough. You’re right to be disappointed and refuse their current offer of being without bike for so long.

gavinnn
    Free Member

doesn’t seen right that you need to send it off, surely the shop should do that ? Is the person you are dealing with the boss, can you escalate ?

I have had really good warranty support over the years from LBS on both Spesh and Giant bikes

Actually, sorry I wasn’t clear. The LBS will send the bike on my behalf.

I don’t think the guy I’m dealing with is the boss no, but definitely a senior person. I have thought about escalating it for sure as it doesn’t seem very fair to me. A shop run by riders, selling bikes to riders surely understand that 8 weeks without your steed is far too long! I’d really love for them to be on my side.

I once took a Trek in with a minor issue near the bottom bracket, just to query it, manager sent pics off and I had a new frame by the end of the week. Just brilliant. Probably should’ve stuck with them!!

Kramer
    Free Member

You can Whatsapp Specialized directly and I’ve found them to be very helpful in the past.

This is poorly remunerated work for the bike shop, which is why it’s not a high priority. IME Specialized customer service are far more interested.

The wait time that you have may be outside of Specialized’s control, as the company that they use may have a long waiting list.

Their actions so far seems reasonable to me.

gavinnn
    Free Member

Thank you, that’s really helpful information

gavinnn
    Free Member

You can Whatsapp Specialized directly and I’ve found them to be very helpful in the past.

PS. If you still have that WhatsApp number I would love to have it, I’ve tried everything today and I couldn’t find a way to contact anyone, the contact tab on their site seems to be out of action.

Kramer
    Free Member

Sorry I misread that the bike was 3 years old, not 3 weeks. For something that’s happened since new and just got worse, I’d say that the onus is on them to prove it’s not a production defect not on you to let them see that you’ve not damaged it.

Tracey

I’m assuming you have registered the bike on the Specialized website. If not it’s worthwhile doing as they can then see it when they log in

You can also ring customer service at Specialized UK and they are usually very helpful  They have been in the past when I’ve rung them even from abroad.

Daughter was knocked off her Enduro in a cycle lane on Easter Monday by a hit and run driver whilst she is in N Z

Apart from her cuts an bruises the impact was on the drive side seat stay where the carbon was crushed with the bull bar. Between the UK and NZ the new seat stay was at the local bike shop in two days and fitted by the end of the week. Can ask for a quicker response from them.

Screenshot_20240418_171525_Google

gavinnn
    Free Member

I’d say that the onus is on them to prove it’s not a production defect not on you to let them see that you’ve not damaged it.

Thank you! because of my original encounter at the shop, this whole time I’ve been worrying that I’ll be stuck with something that looks ugly, is clearly a defect and no doubt hindering any resale value down the road. Plus I like my stuff kept in good condition and looking nice.

And to clarify, the bike is less than 10 months old, I took it in 3 weeks ago and after a bunch of calls to the shop I have just had the response I outlined above. Still, I’ve been riding bikes a very long time and this is the first time I’ve ever had an incident of peeling paint/lacquer.

gavinnn
    Free Member

I’m assuming you have registered the bike on the Specialized website. If not it’s worthwhile doing as they can then see it when they log in

yes it’s registered, pretty sure I did it right away after purchase.

You can also ring customer service at Specialized UK and they are usually very helpful  They have been in the past when I’ve rung them even from abroad.

I would love to be able to call them but I can’t find any way to contact them!!!

Tracey

See above

Kramer
    Free Member

Specialized Rider Care UK 07401091598.

You’ll need your frame number and receipt/proof of purchase

Kramer
    Free Member

Ok, 10 months old, I do think it’s reasonable that they ask for an expert inspection, but I’ve found them to be good to deal with.

gavinnn
    Free Member

So amazing, thank you guys. I will call them tomorrow and see if I can sort this out.

Thanks so much for all your input

nuke

Ive noticed that Specialized UK come up when I look at Google maps as its very close me (just cycled past the entrance to the road half an hour ago) and its an odd one as it is nothing like the associated pics and in fact its more like a manor house….nice lawn area; if you dont get it resolved and can supply the sausages (frozen preferred) then I might be able to assist

mudfish

Keep us posted nan. Watching this space.

dyna-ti

I’d look to try to include your own note explaining what happened, otherwise you could have it sent to specialized with a note from the bike shop saying ‘this is what we think has happened’

gavinnn
    Free Member

I’d look to try to include your own note explaining what happened, otherwise you could have it sent to specialized with a note from the bike shop saying ‘this is what we think has happened’

Exactly. Hence my original disappointment of the guy at the store pretty much deciding on the spot.

ampthill

This seems poor. I dispair at the world of bike shops and brands like specialized. I bought a canyon just as the world locked down in 2020. I had a vague feeling of guilt that i hadn’t used a bike shop and that I’d regret it if anything went wrong. When i look at brands like spec’ i think you’re paying a high pruce for the shop service and warranty

Three years after purchase my Canyon an aluminium insert broke free of the carbon swing arm. It was out of full warranty but the frame has a 6 year guarantee. It took canyon 3 hours to agree the claim and a couple of weeks for the part to arrive. I had to sort fitting myself

I think the killer hear is the 8 weeks. Nothing is going to happen for 7 weeks 6 days. Then some one will look at it. So why can’t they reserve the inspection slot and send the bike the week before

I hooe you get sorted

oceanskipper

Specialized own quite a few bike shops these days and they can make warranty decisions there and then on some stuff. I would try and take it to one of those. At least you will be talking to people who work directly for Specialized. My LBS is one such store and my warranty experience is outstanding.

Cougar

Consumer Rights Act.  Within 30 days the fault is assumed to be inherent and you’re well within your rights to go “refund, then.”

(Between 30 days and six months you have to give them at least one opportunity to make good – which to be fair is what they’re doing – but that has to be within a ‘reasonable’ time.  I would say being without a 3-week old bike for two months falls very much into the “unreasonable” bucket.  This being the case, again, you could demand a refund.)

At the very least I’d be expecting a loan bike equal to or better than the one you’ve bought, along with a good deal of grovelling from the store. Failing that, tell them <strikethrough>to shove it up their arse</strikethrough> that you reject it.

Never mind warranties, that’s their problem.  Warranties can provide additional rights and it may be in your interest in some cases, but a warranty does not replace your legal rights.  If the shop is playing silly buggers then I’d fight bastard with bastard.

Kramer
    Free Member

The bike is ten months old, not three weeks.

gavinnn
    Free Member

Specialized own quite a few bike shops these days and they can make warranty decisions there and then on some stuff. I would try and take it to one of those. At least you will be talking to people who work directly for Specialized. My LBS is one such store and my warranty experience is outstanding.

Do you think it’s possible that I can get somewhat of a second opinion even though I have a ‘case’ currently open through the store I bought it from? I live near to the Birmingham Concept store, which I believe is Certini ( not sure if that is Spesh owned or not?)

I think the killer hear is the 8 weeks. Nothing is going to happen for 7 weeks 6 days. Then some one will look at it. So why can’t they reserve the inspection slot and send the bike the week before

Yeah it’s absolutely mental. You’d have thought a company as large as this who promote all of the health and mental benefits of riding a bike would want to keep you on your bike, not off it.

Cougar

The bike is ten months old, not three weeks.

Apologies, I misunderstood the opening sentence.  Disregard most of that then!  The bit about repairs still applies though, any repair has to be done in a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience to to the customer.  If the LBS is estimating eight weeks I’d be expecting a loaner.

why can’t they reserve the inspection slot and send the bike the week before

You’d need to be a little cautious here.  If they were to do that, they could argue that in continuing to use the bike you’ve made it worse.

gavinnn
    Free Member

Just tried to call the numbers above, unfortunately they’ve turned their phone lines off and removed all contact methods off their website. They must be overwhelmed with current queries.

So, I’m left with no choice but to go back to the store and have the conversation with them.

Wish me luck!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Op – so you bought a 10 month old bike from a bike shop 3 weeks ago ?

Just read the warranty and to be fair it is 2 years to subsequent owners from original purchase date (first owner) which is pretty good these days

https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/warranty

gavinnn
    Free Member

Op – so you bought a 10 month old bike from a bike shop 3 weeks ago ?

No, I realise now my original sentence isn’t entirely clear.

I bought the bike, brand new, 10 months ago, I’m the original owner. I took it back with the issue 3 weeks ago, so it’s taken me 3 weeks to get a decision and now I have to have it send somewhere for further inspection.

Kramer
    Free Member

@gavinn that number I gave you was for their Whatsapp.

rockhopper70

Is it a Levo or Kenevo?  I stumbled cross some complaints about lacquer delaminating on those carbon frames while doing some eeb research?

gavinnn
    Free Member

Is it a Levo or Kenevo?  I stumbled cross some complaints about lacquer delaminating on those carbon frames while doing some eeb research?

Kenevo SL. On the top of the top tube.

rockhopper70

That’s the model I saw the history on as I was ruminating one of the comp models in raw black that was 50% off.  It might be a trend/common fault.

Edit, can’t find the site where I saw it but the owner suggested that Spesh blamed the invisframe kit.

intheborders
    Free Member

Based on your various clarifications, can you do another one:

Took my carbon Specialized bike back to the shop I bought it from 3 weeks ago for pretty bad peeling lacquer on the top tube. It started as a tiny spec of dust under the lacquer which slowly turned into peeling, which has got progressively worse with all the riding and subsequent washing.

When was “started as a tiny dust spec” – 3 weeks ago, at purchase time or some time in-between?

I’ve a Kenevo SL, yellow one – paintwork is proper battered and not helped by riding in rocky terrain and having tubes and a frame bag attached to it.

gavinnn
    Free Member

That’s interesting, mine is the grey expert model. Where did you read about the lacquer on the black versions?

I honestly wouldn’t be that bothered about it but it’s in plain view and is definitely going to get worse.

mrbadger
    Free Member

contact details from the guy I was speaking to yesterday about a part for my sworks

ridercare-uk@specialized.com

0330 4609909

gavinnn
    Free Member

Thanks very much, I sent a detailed email to rider care this morning.

Unfortunately that phone number isn’t on at the moment, they’ve switched it off due to volume of queries.

I’m currently also in conversation -albeit slow- with someone on their WhatsApp (thanks @Kramer).

One way or another I hope to get something sorted!

Tracey

That’s the number I posted yesterday. Never had a problem using it. Used it last a couple of weeks ago

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.