Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Specialized Stumpjumper FSR v Camber – thoughts please?
  • moshimonster
    Free Member

Hi folks, new to the forum so please take it easy!

I’ve been out of the riding scene for a couple of years (young kids, business etc, etc) but now luckily in a position to resume my passion. So I thought I’d kick off by treating myself to a shiny new bike to get excited about.

Having read millions of reviews far and wide, I’ve narrowed my choice down to two bikes – Spesh Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon Evo 29 (phew! out of breath already!) or its lighter brother, the Camber Expert Carbon Evo. Both seem universally well reviewed but the pros seem to favour the Camber for general all round trail riding and certainly on paper it should be more than enough bike for the riding I intend e.g. Local woods fire roads with a bit of tame ST, Cannock Chase trails, Woburn Sands trails (not the jump site!), Thetford Forest, Welsh trail centres etc. The Camber sounds like it’s a bit more lively, poppy and perhaps more fun on realistic trails. Shorter wheelbase, steeper HA, lower BB, a tad lighter etc.

So I’m leaning toward the Spesh Camber, BUT pretty much all my previous serious riding was on plush 5.5-6.0” travel bikes and I’m a fairly hefty rider (88 kg in the buff) and do like a nice plush ride over the rough stuff. I’m also well on the wrong side of 45 and really don’t want a boneshaker to finish me off! Plus I tend to ride mostly seated both up and down so I’ve never really been a HT fan. But at the same time, I do want something that can climb well and doesn’t feel like a lumbering DH rig pedaling around mostly tame trails and twisty tight singletrack.

Those thoughts keep bringing me back to the Stumpy FSR, which I know will be plush enough, but will it be a bit too slow witted in the tight techy stuff, especially in 29er form?

Obviously I’ll try to arrange a demo of both if I can, but in the meantime would anyone like to convince me that the 120 mm travel Camber Evo is nice and plush (ridden within its travel limits of course) or that the Stumpy is actually a lot more nimble than the numbers might suggest?

I’m kind of hoping that the Camber Evo will fit the bill, because it would be nice to have something a bit lighter, quicker climbing and more lively, providing the ride is still smooth and not too chattery. I don’t want to be over-biked just for the sake of it. If I couldn’t demo the bikes for whatever reason, I would consider the Stumpy a safe option given my bike history, but would always be wondering whether or not I was missing a trick with the shorter travel Camber. On the other hand if I went for it with the Camber I would be disappointed if the ride was chattery and harsh compared to my previous 6” bikes. I don’t mind it being a bit firmer (obviously it has to be), as long as it’s still smooth and well controlled over the rougher end of the trail spectrum.

As a foot note, I’m not a big jumper at all, but do like to pop off very small jumps, steps etc along the trail. So I’m not concerned at all about lack of travel in respect of landing jumps.

Thanks for your help

MM

JCL
    Free Member

I’ve owned both but sold the Stumpy as I got an E29 for Enduros. Both bikes are nuts. Read MBR this month as they sum up the two bikes well. But if I can ride a Camber Evo for XC over here in BC you’ll be fine in most of the UK.

JCL
    Free Member

Okay here’s a bit more specific into for you as I didn’t have time earlier and your post deserves a thorough reply. My Stumpy Evo was alloy BTW but similar spec to the Camber.

Both bikes are pretty long in the wheelbase and have low BB’s (lots of drop) so they aren’t the most nimble bikes at slow speed. The upside of that is stability at high speed. It takes a lot to knock them offline but you have to be fairly aggressive to make them go where you want.

The Camber pedals slightly more efficiently as I guess the instant centre is slightly higher at sag point, main pivot location etc are very similar, but the Stumpy is no bobbing slouch. I never use the shocks compression lock-out on the Camber but often did on the Stumpy. Descending wise they’re very similar, the Camber just runs out of travel and gets unsettled a little earlier with repeat hits.

Whichever you go for buy a very good shock pump and ideally a digital pressure gauge as the bikes are very sensitive to spring rate setting. As you probably know they don’t have DU bushings on the rear shock eyelets (the one with rotation) so the suspension is very low friction in actuation meaning that 5psi+/- of shock spring rate is easily noticeable. When correctly set-up the suspension is IMO about the best on the market. Extra supple small bump and tones of cornering grip. You just have to make sure your fork is equal to the rear performance….

Anyway I would probably go with the Camber for UK riding. It’s crazy capable and nothing I’ve ridden comes close as an all-round bike. Race it XC, big trail rides, not too severe Enduro’s and you would barely be making a compromise.

heihei

JCL has covered most points. I’ve owned both bikes in carbon (although the non-evo version of the Camber) and would happily live with either for the type of riding you describe. That said, for your weight and riding pref, you may find the Stumpy the better bet as it will be stiffer and plusher when the going gets tough.
    I should say that I think both are awesome bikes and amazing value for money. I’ve test-ridden a few of the boutique 29er frames over the last few years and keep coming back to Spesh. Now keen to try the Enduro!

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

2014 models of these bikes are going cheap(er) now as well. Have a look on the Bikescene website.

somouk
    Free Member

I’ve had a stumpy and a camber, both excellent bikes.

Ignore your weight making any real difference to the bike, I’m heavier than you. It’s the shock setup and tune that is key there.

The camber is a great bike for UK riding unless you are massively in to enduro or want something capable of doing a trail center or a big day in the mountains, in which case the Stumpy may be a better choice.

moshimonster
    Free Member

Many thanks guys and especially to JCL for taking the trouble to write a detailed response. This is really useful info and much appreciated.

Looks like I’m on the right track with my shortlist and I’m sure I would be very happy with either bike, but I think I’m still slightly favouring the Camber Evo. The Pike up front gives me confidence it will be plenty stiff and plush enough for UK trail duties and it sounds like the FSR rear end is nice and supple.

@JCL – interesting point about the long Wheelbase and low BB – complete opposite of my last bike, which was short and v. high! I’m fairly tall (6’1″) with long legs and so would appreciate a low BB. In hindsight my last bike was too tall. It was great for pedal clearance over rocks and roots, but sometimes I felt like a monkey up a stick! Only saving grace was a gravity dropper post, which went some way to compensate on faster trails. But a low BB was high on my priority list this time around to keep my mass down lower while still having a decent pedalling position. I do have a slight concern about the longer wheelbase as I do encounter a fair bit of tight singletrack, which again favours the Camber as it’s about an inch shorter than the stumpy, but still a fair bit longer than my previous steeds.

somouk
    Free Member

Are your previous bikes also 29ers or 26?

roverpig

I’ve never ridden either, so don’t pay too much attention to this, but I was surprised by the chainstay length of both these bikes. I though Specialized were famous for short chainstay 29ers, but the camber evo has 451mm chainstays, which are pretty long. I guess this feeds into JCL’s comments about them being stable at high speed rather than nimble at low speed (i.e long low and slack).

moshimonster
    Free Member

Are your previous bikes also 29ers or 26?

Good question! All 26, so this would be my first 29er (apart from all my road bikes of course). I’ve always thought mtb wheels were a bit small (started as a roadie and I’m quite tall) so happy to get on the 29er bandwagon. Also be doing a lot of fire road ploughing in my local woods, so a faster roll will be nice. I did briefly think about the 650b option on the Stumpy, but the geo looks like a bit of a bodge job for 2015 and the Camber of course is 29er only. Reading between the lines Spesh seem to favour the 29er standard and 650b is really just something they were forced into offering. I see 650b as the new 26 rather than something different, but 29 is a definite step up in size for better or worse.

devash
    Free Member

I’d personally say that the new Camber Evos are the perfect UK trail bike. The geometry is spot on and the travel is enough unless you are wanting to take on huge drops or mega-gnar black runs.

I bought a 26er Camber 2 years ago and the logic was very similar to the OP’s in that the bike was mostly going to be used for general trail riding / XC days out so I didn’t particularly need the extra travel or heft of the Stumpy. The bike has never felt out of its depth and looking at the geo of the new Evo models (last year and this year) the extra travel would certainly add to their capabilities.

Specialized geometry is very low / long. You’d think a bike with a 1150mm wheelbase would feel gate-like but its incredibly nimble and that low and long geometry is so confidence inspiring. The 26ers have a Yeti-like super-stretched cockpit (625mm ETT on a 19″ large) but the 29ers are a bit more relaxed. If they weren’t so flippin’ expensive now the Evo 29ers would definitely be on my next bike list.

Can’t really go wrong with this one

ianpv
    Free Member

you could consider the non-evo stumpy if you want something a bit quicker handling? sort of a middle ground?

I’ve got a 2012 ally stumpy 29er, with a revelation at 140mm (built from a bikescene frame). Best bike I’ve had in 22 years of biking, by far, even though it could do with a better fork and stiffer wheels than I’ve got on it. The cornering traction on it is insane. I don’t find it too much bike on flatter trails, but I’ve come from a history of fairly ‘big’ trail bikes (patriot, heckler, enduros etc.)

moshimonster
    Free Member

I’ve never ridden either, so don’t pay too much attention to this, but I was surprised by the chainstay length of both these bikes.

Yeah, I’d noticed that too thanks. I thought it was just a limitation of the larger wheel size (seems to add about 20 mm on average), but I do see some other 29ers around with slightly shorter chainstays eg Yeti SB95 is 445 mm. So yes, I guess there must be a trade off between nimble and stable.

I’m hoping the considerably lower weight of these carbon beauties will help even things out on that front. My last trail bike was up to around 34 lbs I think (although built like a tank), which is pretty lardy by today’s standards. Chainstay on my last bike was 431 mm for comparison.

roverpig

If you are going for a carbon 29er you could also consider the Pivot Mach 429 Carbon or the Turner Czar. Both take a 120mm fork and the numbers are pretty similar to the Camber (chainstays a bit shorter, but not much, head angle about the same, 68.8 for Czar and 69.3 for Pivot).

moshimonster
    Free Member

you could consider the non-evo stumpy if you want something a bit quicker handling? sort of a middle ground?

Interesting thought, but it’s Evo across the range on the new bikes. But I’m okay with that as I like the sound of the Evo tweaks on both bikes.

moshimonster
    Free Member

If you are going for a carbon 29er you could also consider the Pivot Mach 429 Carbon or the Turner Czar. Both take a 120mm form and the numbers are pretty similar to the Camber (chainstays a bit shorter, but not much, head angle about the same).

Thanks for the alternative suggestions, but on the whole I like the Spesh package better than anything else I’ve looked at and believe me I’ve looked at everything! I know a lot of people like to knock Spesh, but I think for an RRP of £4,500 (and would get 5% minimum off that) the Carbon Expert builds are actually pretty decent value and it looks like they’ve got the component spec spot on for 2015 with the move to XT brakes. So no need to swap anything out from the outset, which is nice. Other contenders were SC Tallboy LTc (another grand at least) and Yeti SB95c (also another grand or so over the Spesh). Got to stop somewhere with the budget and I thought £4,500 was enough! Not sure either of the others are really worth another grand of spend.

roverpig

Fair point. If you like Spesh I’d stick with them.

moshimonster
    Free Member

2014 models of these bikes are going cheap(er) now as well. Have a look on the Bikescene website.

Very tempted at £3,600 now for a 2014 Carbon Camber v £4275 for a 2015 (plus a wait until late October for supply). But would probably have to swap out the crap brakes and 32T chain wheel which would eat into the difference. I know I could claw some of that cost back on ebay, but I’m a lazy git! Still might go for this route though as otherwise the spec appears to be identical. Actually does anyone know if the dropper post was improved for 2015? I think I’ve read somewhere that the switch might have been improved, which could make all the difference for me as I’m a big dropper post fan. I was an early adopter of the original Gravity Dropper when they were very much a novelty out on the trails. Fugly as hell compared to a nice fixed Thomson, but one of the best investments I ever made in the last ten years. It made me smile when I saw that dropper posts are now pretty much standard issue on trail bikes and the aesthetics have improved massively too.

moshimonster
    Free Member

Fair point. If you like Spesh I’d stick with them.

Funnily enough, this would be my first Spesh bike so not chosen from brand loyalty. I just happen to like the look and spec of their current trail bike offerings and most importantly the price is in budget.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Currently, I have a Stumpy Evo and a Camber in my garage too however a meaningful comparison is somewhat difficult given that my Camber is a 26″ model and therefore will be different in feel to the 29er carbon frame.

That said, I’m hugely impressed with what my Camber can cope with, it’s an extremely competent bike on the descents thanks to it’s long, low and slack geometry. It isn’t adverse to getting both wheels off the ground too.

The Stumpy on the other hand is amazing, but then I’m new to big wheels so I guess a large part of it’s repertoire is down to the extra traction and momentum supposedly inherent with a 29er. Despite the lofty front end, I’m amazed at the climbing ability, whilst it feels pretty good on the descents too although I’m slowly getting used to the tall front end and the somewhat steep top tube.

If someone put a gun to my head and said “Pick a bike!” then I’d probably go for a Camber 29er, especially if it were carbon.

moshimonster
    Free Member

Just been in the LBS to throw a leg over a few frames and discuss options:-

They had a 2014 Camber Expert Evo in the shop in my size (L), but unfortunately sold a few days ago. But was good to try for size and it felt pretty good. Nice and low compared to my old bike and a fair bit longer. Makes me a bit nervous when thinking about the twisty woodland single track, but otherwise it seemed like a great in-the-bike kind of position. Wide bars felt nice too. Wheels looked massive!

There was a 2015 Stumpjumper Expert Evo 650b in medium, which though I’m sure would be too small for me, it actually seemed quite comfortable. Probably because my current bike has a short cockpit for it’s size. I felt more at home with the 650b wheels, but that’s familiarity I guess having only ridden 26ers. They didn’t seem obviously bigger to me, unlike the wagon wheel 29ers.

Also looked at a Trek Remedy, which the shop guy suggested as an alternative. This was the 650b version and the cockpit felt short compared to the Camber. Seemed like a nice bike, but just looked at the geo numbers and the 29er version has a very high BB, so that’s a no from me. However the 650b version has a much lower BB, so a possible contender if I bottle out of the wagon wheels. I quite liked the no-nonsense frame design and adjustable geometry.

Asked about demos and no chance this year, so will have to take a leap of faith or sit out the winter on my old bike. Not sure I’ve got the will power for the latter! While chatting away I was starting to talk myself toward the Stumpy again (29er version) for a more comfortable ride over the Camber. I’m not racing anyone and have always appreciated a plush ride.

So I’m none the wiser really, but I think whatever I end up buying will be a massive step forward so not too worried.

somouk
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about the longer chassis feeling much different on the tight twisty singletrack.

The only time I’ve noticed a long wheelbase/29er wheels causing problems was slow tight turns when climbing, the extra length is easily cancelled out by the extra grip of the 29er wheels meaning it felt a lot more stable ultimately.

pastypunk

Just to add my two pence worth, I have a non evo 2013 carbon Stumpjumper 29 but it is now fitted with 140 mm pikes (so basically a stumpy evo I think)have to say its a amazing bike, climbs a treat and I don’t notice the extra length on anything other than tight switch back climbs at my local trail centre(Cardinham). It is my first 29er and I was looking at the camber when I bought it but really glad I went for the Stumpy, the extra bit of travel is nice and comfy for my old spine. I would go Stumpjumper if your not too worried about race speeds on the ups.

JCL
    Free Member

You can purchase an Evo clevis link for you bike from Specialized.

moshimonster
    Free Member

As an update, in the end I went the other way and bought an Enduro Carbon Expert 29! What sold it for me was the shorter chain stays. Although I don’t really need the extra travel, I do like a plush ride and I decided the Camber would probably be a bit too XC racey for my taste. I would have certainly gone for the Stumpy had it had the same short chain stays as the Enduro, but I’m sure I can live with the slight weight penalty and slacker geometry on the climbs. I was actually surprised at reviews of the Enduro, it appears to be a better all rounder than I expected given its travel.

Hopefully it should arrive later this week so will report back after a ride. I doubt I’ll have any complaints on the downhills 🙂

Oh and thanks again everyone who responded. It was really helpful

toons
    Free Member

Quality, I’ve just gone from a stumpy evo carbon 29 to endure carbon expert 29.

You’ll love it; its faster than the stumpy + more agile 🙂

moshimonster
    Free Member

That’s encouraging thanks! Really looking forward to riding this beast. I don’t mind if it’s a bit slower on the climbs as long as it gets up there eventually. I do hope it’s as agile as they say 🙂

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Quality, I’ve just gone from a stumpy evo carbon 29 to endure carbon expert 29.

You’ll love it; its faster than the stumpy + more agile
    Tell me more? Between the two, was swaying towards the Stumpy based on what most had said, so interesting to hear you prefer the Enduro. What sort of riding you doing? Where is it quicker/slower? How and where does it feel different? I don’t doubt for techy steep stuff the Enduro is the better bike but much of my mileage is weekdays in the local Pentlands round Edinburgh which lacks tech and has lots of climbing, so felt the Stumpy was the better bike for most of my riding. Have I thought wrong?

moshimonster
    Free Member

For me it was the geometry that swung it. Enduro has the same wheelbase as the Stumpy, but much shorter chain stays. For me that suggests it should be more agile, although obviously there are other parameters to consider. But I have no doubt that the Stumpy should be a better climber and probably a better all-round compromise for most riders. If speed was my number one priority I would have chosen the Camber, but comfort is higher up my list.

doug – I think you probably have got the right idea with the Stumpy and you might even want to consider the Camber too if fast low tech climbing is a priority or if you are aiming at fast overall times on a XC ride. I’m more of a cruiser who likes to blast a bit harder on the downhill sections.

Will let you know if I am right when I actually get to ride the thing!

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

doug – I think you probably have got the right idea with the Stumpy and you might even want to consider the Camber too if fast low tech climbing is a priority or if you are aiming at fast overall times on a XC ride. I’m more of a cruiser who likes to blast a bit harder on the downhill sections.

What I really need is 2 bikes! Camber would be perfect for my weekday riding, but out of it’s depth pretty quickly at the weekend…

moshimonster
    Free Member

In that case you should really consider the Enduro. If your priority is to get the most out of your gnarly weekend riding I would have thought an Enduro would be ideal. You can still ride it during the week, just a bit overkill that’s all.

toons
    Free Member

What sort of riding you doing? Where is it quicker/slower? How and where does it feel different? I don’t doubt for techy steep stuff the Enduro is the better bike but much of my mileage is weekdays in the local Pentlands round Edinburgh which lacks tech and has lots of climbing, so felt the Stumpy was the better bike for most of my riding. Have I thought wrong?

My general riding is rooty and rocky.

The Enduro is faster everywhere apart from climbing, although it’s no slow coach. The Enduro has sharper handling and it’s a lot easier to move through tight sections. Plus it’s easier to pop\hop off stuff and lift the front end.

There’s one corner in my local woods called “impossible corner” it’s a tight s bend with the second turn dropping away fast. So as soon as you’ve made the first turn, you’re into the second and gotta commit. I had 3 goes on the stumpy and couldn’t make the second turn without dabbing or padding through the corner. First go on the Enduro and I made it with ease, like it was nothing.

I did take the stumpy out at the weekend because I riding an 18 miles XC loop.

They’re both amazing bikes, I just love the Enduro because it’s more fun to ride.

moshimonster
    Free Member

Update: Finally got hold of my new Enduro 29 and took it out for a short test ride on Saturday. Just a few laps around the local woods, but enough to get a first impression and play with the setup. It felt great and very nimble for such a big bike. It climbed well and felt rock solid on the downhills as you would expect. Only real surprise was how little I noticed the bigger wheels when riding. They look massive when off the bike, but you don’t really notice when riding. There was no learning curve necessary at all, which was good. The factory shock settings seemed a bit on the firm side, but the control on bigger hits was just amazing. It soaked up everything in its path with ridiculous ease, leaving me wishing for a more demanding trail to explore the depth of its capability a bit more. Perhaps the only very slight disappointment for me was the Pike forks, which seemed to lack small bump sensitivity. They seemed a bit chattery to be honest, but it could be that the settings are not dialled or that they simply need more miles to break in. From all the reviews I was expecting them to be totally amazing, but they just felt okay. The rear end felt better from the off. Overall though, I was most impressed with the new ride and can’t wait to get out on some decent trails. Not that it should really matter, but it’s a great looker too. Even my wife had to admit it looks the business!

davidrussell
    Free Member

hey, good to hear you have sorted out a new bike! you mentioned on a thread i’d started that you were on the hunt for something new. you’ve got me thinking too about the specialized now 🙂

i used to have an enduro 2007 model and did enjoy it, so the 29er enduro should be on my list really. its a bit more travel than i think i need but i do quite like the look of them, especially the sworks :O

i assume you got a large, what spec level did you get? whats it like weightwise?

chrismac

I’ve been looking at the same bikes. I’ve bought the camber and love it. I ride at Cannock and lots of natural in theeak district. The camber is amazing and unless your doing some really techy stuff I doubt you would need the extra travel the stumpy has.

moshimonster
    Free Member

i assume you got a large, what spec level did you get? whats it like weightwise?

Yep got the large, fits me nicely at 6’1″. I went for the Carbon Expert build, which is pretty well specced with X01 drivetrain etc. Haven’t actually weighed it yet, but feels nice and light on the trail. My previous bike was a bit lardy at 33 lbs and I believe this should be under 29 lbs. I’ll try to remember to weigh it and report back.

It’s more travel than I really need too, but it feels great and pedals well. If like me you like a plush ride, you won’t be disappointed.

moshimonster
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at the same bikes. I’ve bought the camber and love it. I ride at Cannock and lots of natural in theeak district. The camber is amazing and unless your doing some really techy stuff I doubt you would need the extra travel the stumpy has.

I imagine the Camber is just perfect for charging around Cannock and agree the extra travel of the Stumpy/Enduro is not really necessary for this kind of riding. But I do like the bottomless travel it provides. I’m getting on a bit now and my old bones like a bit of extra comfort 😉

JCL
    Free Member

Glad you’re happy with the Enduro. When you have the funds this is literally an essential purchase.

RockShox Monarch and Monarch Plus Evolve to Include Mounts for Trek and Specialized

Same goes for the Camber Evo. You won’t believe it.

moshimonster
    Free Member

JCL – I wonder how it compares with the new Cane Creek DBinline that came on my Enduro? Haven’t had chance to dial it in yet, but first impression was very positive on base settings.

JCL
    Free Member

I haven’t ridden the inline Cane Creek on the Enduro but someone I know who has tried every shock including Float X says the Monarch is by far the best on Specialized leverage rates.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Stumpjumper FSR v Camber – thoughts please?’ is closed to new replies.