Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Specialized Ground Control bike – shock servicing advice please
  • DickBarton

Afternoon,

Was out for a pedal and one of the group pitched up on an original Specialized Ground Effect full susser – the rear shock was part of the seatstay configuration. Doing a google search it appears to be a 1997 Specialized AIM Ground Control.

Anyway, the shocks are needing a service but according to Specialized, there are no known places that could supply replacement parts…just wondering if anyone else knows who would be able to service the shock and fork? Bike appears to be in good condition – it’s been well used but not left to fall into ruin.

I said I’d ask in case anyone know of any places to get it serviced.

So does anyone have any ideas? I’m assuming they could just send it to TFT Tuned and see what they could do but I’ve no idea what the shock is so no way of telling who the main supplier/service agent would be.

Cheers.

nickjb
    Free Member

Not sure which model you have but my 97 ground control had a rock shox coupe de-luxe at the back. Servicing involved piercing a rubber cap with a needle to pressurise it. I DIYed it once which seemed to work but it has sinced been replaced with a cheapy shock from the classifieds that works much better (can’t remember the brand)

This is mine (currently ridden by the wife) with my nearly new 2005 Stumpy behind.

DickBarton

Thanks for reply but that isn’t it…this one had the shock along the same line as the seatstay so it continued the line into the main frame. The seat post was also separate from main triangle…no pics and my google search skills return an image I can’t link to!

DickBarton

Found a post on retro bike http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=159801 similar bike, but this one is red not orange like the picture. It looks like it might be a rock show unit going by the second picture posted…but not sure…

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

I guess you mean this beastie??

Afraid I can’t help on the shock front though…

DickBarton

Nope, that is the year before the model I saw…this bike had a ‘detached’ seat cluster from the main frame…

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

My bad, should’ve read a bit better:

DickBarton

Aye that is it…any idea of the rear shock?

nickjb
    Free Member

It looks like it might still be a rock shox coupe deluxe, like I had on mine, just with a different end. If you google it you’ll see there are loads of variants. This one seems to match: http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/823600/

I’ve got some service info somewhere but it might be quicker to google it, I found this http://dabigbreakerstyle.online.fr/SHARP/PDFs/coupesuperdeluxerear97.pdf

DickBarton

Nice one, thanks.

LoCo
    Free Member

Ohh interesting, I’ve got an old ground control (white and black) hanging in the workshop, tempted to have a look at the shock and build it up as a chopper pub bike, the shock needs some attention from memory.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Ground Control bike – shock servicing advice please’ is closed to new replies.