Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Specialized frame Warranty? (experiences of pls?)
  • Stumpjumper
    Free Member

Anyone had to use the Specialized “lifetime” frame warranty?
    Or had 1st hand experience of not being the original owner and having the warranty refused?

From the small print in the Spesh website – it say’s its only valid with the original owner..

cynic-al
    Free Member

Original owner only.

Website says so, why would it be different in reality?

YetiFoz
    Free Member

Yes, I had an excellent experince!
    My Tarmac road bike developed a crack at just under 2 years old.
    My LBS phoned Spesh the following morning, a new better frame was delivered the day after and it was built up that day!

I was/am the original owner. This may depend on how well you get on with your local shop.

khani
    Free Member

Its very good if you’re the original owner, if you’re not they’ll probably sell you the bit you need for a reasonable price if they’ve got it,..
    But you won’t get a new frame for nowt if yours is completely dead….

Rorschach
    Free Member

This may depend on how well you get on with your if your local shop will commit fraud on your behalf.

khani
    Free Member

Unless you do that^^^

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Superb service from them for a mate who’s road bike’s chainstay snapped. It was a fair few years old and he’s now the proud owner of a 2012 mdoel with all his old Campy bits fitted to it. The ‘original owner’ bit may be key though…

Stumpjumper
    Free Member

Yeah though that the case, have heard a lot of “depends how well you get on with your LBS” , Just thought rules is rules. lol

Will see what they say tomorrow – got possible carbon de-lamination around BB.

dav1d
    Free Member

Had (not very good, unlike what everyone else seems to claim) experience of it twice in the last few months.

One frame was one I bought secondhand from someone (although it was a warranty replacement for him, so never been used). As I didn’t have proof of purchase, they flat out refused. Even after the guy at the Specialized concept store said he’d seen the same failure a few times before. Not really sure why I needed proof of purchase, thought the proof would be I had the frame there in my hands…

Second one was a frame I’d ridden for a few hundred miles. Crack in the chainstay (full suss Epic), so took it to my local concept store thinking they’d have a good relationship with Specialized. After 3 weeks and having to phone up a few times to find out what was going on, I got a replacement chainstay that’s the wrong colour and has marks looking like it’s been used. Took that so I have a bike to ride, but they’re supposedly trying to at least get hold of a new chainstay, but it still won’t be the right colour. That was a couple of weeks ago and haven’t heard any more, even phoned Specialized UK but was told they couldn’t help that week as the warranty guy was on holiday.

So overall, not great, contrary most responses you’ll probably get.

dav1d
    Free Member

Oh, and they are both S-Works, so spending ridiculous amounts of money doesn’t get you better service.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not really sure why I needed proof of purchase

Erm…because the warranty applies to original purchasers only?

Speshpaul

dav1d
    not being the original owner of the 1st frame is the issue.

on the second one, there is a supply issue with stays on some models i know to a few out there awaiting seat or chain stays.
    which is a little crap, but they have kept you riding for the time being.

Jtidyman
    Free Member

Contact Specialized Customer Services directly (the UK part). I bought a Time Trial Frame from Ebay which developed a problem so I contacted Specialized stating I was not the original owner.

They offered me a crash replacement deal on a new frame, so I ended up paying £400 for a Brand New frame (list price was 1800) which now has a full warranty – couldn’t fault their service.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sea few with new bikes from them but no idea about not first owner. It only applies to the person who bought it.

Thats why the value drops so fast when you leave the shop.

5 Year is good these days.

Had (not very good, unlike what everyone else seems to claim) experience of it twice in the last few months.

One frame was one I bought secondhand from someone (although it was a warranty replacement for him, so never been used). As I didn’t have proof of purchase, they flat out refused.
    This is because you had no Warranty. Sorry to say you should have known that one.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

Never had a spesh frame to warranty myself but a friend has had 3….all of which had been replaced with newer models without too much fuss, infact the only fuss he ever got was from Evans, the dealer….2 years ago his aluminium 5 year old tarmac was replaced by a S-works SL3, bonus! He was however the original owner in each case, sometimes it pays to be selective with the truth in my experience…..

Good luck

orangeboy
    Free Member

One of the lads I ride with broke his old 2003 enduro and got a shiny new carbon sworks stumpy with matchin forks
    Again he was the original owner so all good

dav1d
    Free Member

I knew/know it only applies to the original owner, and I know loads of other brands do that, and I know it happens with loads of other goods… doesn’t mean it’s the way it should be done.

Really, the problem comes down to not actually having the paperwork for it. I could have got the guy I bought it from to handle all the warranty himself (so where do you draw the line at original owner?…) but he doesn’t have the paperwork any more and the shop has no record any longer either. What if I was the original owner and no longer had paperwork?

It may not be how the small print says and how it’s normally or always has been done, it just seems like it would be a nice way to show some good customer service, especially as I have bought many (S-Works) bikes in the past.

dav1d
    Free Member

And the stories of people getting old aluminium frames replaced with brand new S-Works models doesn’t really tie in with my 1 year old S-Works model only getting a wrong colour, used chainstay replacement.

bol

David, they’ll sort put chainstay out I am sure. Just keep in touch with the shop, make sure tou’re pleasant and I’d be extremely surprised if it doesn’t all come good.

Specialized’s warrantee is outstanding in my experience. Not just for frames, but all the components that hang off them, their clothes and accessories. I’m sure it does come down to how far out of their way the shop want to go for you and their relationship with Spesh, but frankly a company that replaced every broken bike or component that was sent to them without any quibble or paperwork would rather be going beyond the call of duty. They have to draw the line somewhere.

Rorschach
    Free Member

“Hi.I know I did’nt buy this from you but I did buy something else a while ago, so can I have a new one now please as I’ve broken it.”
    Customer service only applies IF YOU ARE A CUSTOMER…ie you actually bought it from them!! And if you can’t prove it then that is your problem not theirs.
    (Disclaimer-I know nicoli/turner offer transferable warranty but thats why they are about 25% more than anything else)
    Are you from round here? 😯

orangeboy
    Free Member

At least your bike works even if the chainsaty is the wrong colour.
    Most company’s just leave you waiting with no bike to ride at all

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Specialized frame Warranty? (experiences of pls?)’ is closed to new replies.