Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Specialized 'Dangler'
  • matt_outandabout
    genghispod
    Free Member

Yes they seem to have (re)invented the DCD (Dave’s Chain Device. I expect the patent has run out on the original now. If it’s that good, why did everyone stop using them the first time round though?

Janesy
    Free Member

I have an ano purple one in the garage. I dont think it will be going on the bike though.

Gary_M
    Free Member

why did everyone stop using them the first time round though?

Because many of us realised they were solving a problem that wasn’t really there anyway.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

gimmick

aP
    Free Member

But that’s H-ball, they must be good if colourful.

thepodge
    Free Member

people have been doing chainstay mounted devices long since the dcd disappeared.

angryratio
    Free Member

Oo look another place for mud to get stuck.

AlasdairMc

That DCD is on back to front, isn’t it?

I stopped using mine when alu frames came in with their bigger chainstays

stuartm555
    Free Member

But will the Dangler make as cool a noise as the DCD?

That one in the photo does appear to be the wrong way round

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

H-Ball FTW! 🙂

FuzzyWuzzy

That’s an impressively long rear mech cable on the retro pic

flamejob
    Free Member

That’s an impressively long rear mech cable on the retro pic

Thats because it’s a suspension bike. They need all that cable for the massive rear wheel articulation

I prefer the Bionicon one

thepodge
    Free Member

its very nice and simple but won’t fit my frame due to seatstay cable routing

jamborf
    Free Member

The new one should. If they ever become available. http://www.bionicon.com/ac/c-guide-v02
    I need something for my new Giant Reign which despite having 6″ travel has no means of fitting a chain device. Aaaaah!

AlexSimon

I’m considering paying extra for the XTR clutch rear mech and seeing if that negates the need for another chain device.
    It seems like a better place to do it.

The only problem is I would be much more careful going through narrow gaps from then on.

jamborf
    Free Member

Hmm, not sure I could stomach shelling out £160 when I have a perfectly good XT mech on my bike right now.
    I saw a cheaper solution on a forum:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/112995870409096219692/Rozne?gsessionid=LZQ3UYcYFaLg2T6Nb3f6pQ#5615188562934992658

GregMay
    Free Member

I’m still not seeing why this is an issue.

jamborf
    Free Member

Because I want to do a bit of UK dh and maybe take my bike to the Alps next Summer.

AlexSimon

XTR £120,70 + shipping from rose bikes.

Hopefully they’ll come out with an XT level version that is more affordable. If they were <£60 then it would look attractive against all those overpriced E13/MRP chainguides.

jonb
    Free Member

ugly but there is this on CRC

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10137

considered seeing if I could use one to go SS as it might be tougher than a rear tensioner.

chakaping
    Free Member

If it’s that good, why did everyone stop using them the first time round though?

Becuase they had other options for fitting chain devices, if they needed them?

That looks to my uneducated eye like it would create more drag than a BB/ISCG mounted device closer to the chainset.

But as the Reign owner above suggests, several bike companies are now making long-ish travel bikes with press fit BBs, no ISCG tabs and weird seat tubes – ruling out most available chain devices.

continuity
    Free Member

Why not just get the right chain length and / or an xtr trail mech?

Olly
    Free Member

I need something for my new Giant Reign which despite having 6″ travel has no means of fitting a chain device. Aaaaah

cant you use a BB fitted type?
    back plate replaces one of the HTII BB spacers…

jamborf
    Free Member

BB mounted chain devices don’t work on press fit bottom brackets. You can’t get enough pressure to stop it spinning.
    I saw on another forum, someone had used one of the CRC Ging chain tensioners with a bash ring and a bit of moulded plastic bolted onto the front derailleur mount. A lot of bodging.
    I don’t mind a bit of bodging, I’m just surprised Giant failed to see this problem when designing the bike. I already had to bodge a piece of rubber between the rear gear and brake cables to stop them rubbing on the shock stancion.
    Suspect it comes down to a few $.

continuity
    Free Member

So use iscg tabs?

Frames with no iscg and pressfit? Way to make shit awkward.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Specialized 'Dangler'’ is closed to new replies.