Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • SPAM Winter Challenge…..what should i expect?
  • bigbloke
    Free Member

Seemed like a good idea a few months ago when i signed up for it , not done any organised rides before so what should i expect this one to be like?

Doing the 50k.

johnners
    Free Member

It’s well organised, very little singletrack, mostly pretty exposed. If you’re lucky it’ll be freezing in which case it’s not too arduous. If not, some of it’s a bit of a muddy slog, quite a bit’s on decent stoned tracks though.

NigE5
    Free Member

A bun fight up the first hill, then a few miles in the mud just to get the bike nice and claggy, after that miles and miles on the road. And to finish a big hill to climb and a bog fest to the finish line its self. (they will properly not do the singletrack finish)

br
    Free Member

The first one I did was a mud-fest, the second would have been easier on a CX bike – never did a third…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s one the best run and most enjoyable events out there. OK, so it’s not a full on gnarrrrr fest, but so what? Thousands of people out suffering having fun in the freezing cold! Awesome.

As above, it can be a mud-fest, or it can be on beautiful crisp frosty tracks. Who knows which it will be this year.

All in all though, it’s utterly brilliant! (Some great pubs nearby for post ride recovery drinks, too…)

allthepies
    Free Member

I’ve done it once and it was about -5 degC at the start point, colder on the plain. Was a glorious day of huge blue skies and (thankfully) frozen ground. These days though I’d rather just go for a local pootle on empty trails rather than all the faff of doing a huge event.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Hi,
    The course is one big loop of 50km with a turn off point (shortcut) for the 25km and 35km.
    25km is family friendly. (Lot less hills) (It is NOT a race by the way)
    The course is held on MOD land and all distances go through Imber Village which is normally closed to the public.
    Maybe to regular XC/DH racer will find the course not that technical but given the time of year and the course is winter riding friendly it is a trade off, you WILL NEED skills (and fitness) to climb some of the hills.
    And you can go as fast or slow as you like (but it is NOT a race!)

So if you like to do a one lap type route/loop then this is the event for you.
    Catering, local bike shop, coffee bus, neutral mechanical back up and the most important part there is cake stand so you can have your reward for going for a ride 😉

http://www.spamwinterchallenge.co.uk/

Oh and cross bikes are more than welcome
    oh and you can also get a copy of the famous Shred Mag

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

….well, you could expect some ice out there tomorrow! All set up and ready to go. Hope to see some of you out there!

flip
    Free Member

Mud…

I’d never do it again, the mud is the most awfulist, clayiest, claggiest ever.

My bike took ages to recover 😐

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘SPAM Winter Challenge…..what should i expect?’ is closed to new replies.