Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • South Wales Trail Centres
  • peachos
    Free Member

thinking of planning a weekend down to south wales over the next month, probably 3 days of riding (Fri, Sat & Sun). i've never ridden down there so am after some recommendations for the best trails to ride. possibly do cwm carn uplift day on the friday.

any ideas people? and any recommendations of places to camp/bunkhouses (will be probably for a group of around 15-20 riders)

cheers

AndyRT
    Free Member

Go to Afan, the site has camping, and beer, and reasonable prices too, plus a bike shop for the inevitable gear issues away from home. 4 trails I would suggest reaching out to the Brechfa trails too. You can ride both Red linked to Black in a day. Do Cwm Carn as either a warm up or a swan song on the way home.

jimster
    Free Member

Glyncorrwg (sp) has the Drop-Off cafe and a campsite.

Do the W2 trail, stop off half way and do the Penhydd – finsh off the W2, then do the Skyline on the other day.

steveh

Brechfa top of the list for me. Then do the uplift at cwmcarn and a day at glyncorrwg. Easy 🙂

Trimix
    Free Member

Afan, great food at the dropoff cafe, good shop, jetwash, camping and top trails. What more could you ask for.

trailmonkey

second jimster's plan but i'd probably do the skyline on day 1.

z1ppy

afan, afan and cwm carn on the way out..

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

not done brachfa but what others have said, Afan (Glyncorryg), then Afan proper (wall and penhydd trails). Stop off at Cwmcarn on the drive home.

The Drop Off at glyncorryg is the best trail centre caff in the UK IMHO.

Dancake
    Free Member

Just came back from W/E and Glyncorrwg / Afan (first time) . Had a great time despite rain on the first afternoon (and three tumbles 🙂

I havnt been doing this long, but the final descent of the Wall was my best mountain bike experience to date.

Did about 60 miles over the W/E cant wait to go back.

NB Bring some spare brake pads!

peachos
    Free Member

cheers for the info – i did actually have afan in mind so will probably head there. still think cwmcarn on the friday though because it's likely to be quieter.

also…going to need a good curry house!!

BeardedDave
    Free Member

If you're after a bunkhouse for 15-20 people, check this place out: http://www.penstarbunkhouseandcottage.co.uk/bunkhouse.htm I've stayed there a couple of times now and it's very good if you're after cheap and self catering for a large group.

It's not especially close to any trail centre but is centrally located, so you can get to a few within an hour's drive. It's on a farm, so nothing particularly in walking distance but Brecon town centre is only a few miles away and they have pubs and stuff there, if you want them.

mcboo
    Free Member

We just did a weekend at Afan. +1 on staying around Glyncorrwg, have everything you need for bike body and soul there.

W2 is a fine ride, loads of fun, loads of singletrack up and down. I say a huge no (ducks) to Skyline. Did it on the first day, pretty dissapointing, way too much time on fire-roads……are other better trails there I think.

peachos
    Free Member

also, are there any dirt jumps in this area?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘South Wales Trail Centres’ is closed to new replies.