Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • South Downs Way….rideable this time of year?
  • cycles-goff
    Free Member

I’m thinking of riding Winchester to devil’s dyke but seem to recall the early stretches out of Winchester can be a bit boggy – anyone local know what the riding conditions are like at the moment or should I wait until spring and a week or two of warmer weather? Cheers

petey83
    Free Member

I am just back from a cycle on the Downs around Storrington. It is ridable but not great to be honest. I did the SDW a few years ago in the rain and Winchester to QE Country Park was awful because of the mud. It ruined the rest of the ride. I cant imagine the other parts are much fun at the moment!

nuke

Ive always thought the stretch from Winchester to QECP is the worst for mud; my first go on the SDW was the BHF 65 miler in the wet and it was a hard slog. I can only imagine at this time of year that it must be pretty Somme like conditions.

Guess everything is do-able though really even if you have to walk sections so i guess its down to how much time/daylight you have

tiredjohn

Wet, slippery and muddy, very very muddy – especially around gates which farm animals use and around stables.

This is from the area around Brighton

superfli
    Free Member

On all counts avoid the sdw where it crosses the meon valley railway line, up old Winchester hill. It’ll be hell! Ride upto warnford and up the road instead.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve done 7 since November and only one of them had me cursing 😆 all on the CX’er, all whilst in training mode and all (one exception) enjoyable.
    It’s a bit boggy in parts but on the tops it’s dry/hard, some of the decents (the one just after Harting) are a bit slippy, but then you’ll be on 150mm full suss so no bother to you guys.

I’d say do it, you can reach Brighton before it gets dark if you set off at Winny by 10am 😀

superfli
    Free Member

I’ve done 7 since November and only one of them had me cursing

😯 Is it your commute?!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘South Downs Way….rideable this time of year?’ is closed to new replies.