Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Sorting out all your bike related stuff that builds up over time?
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

I have a table in my garage that is just piled high with loads of bike parts that have come off a bike somewhere in the last few years, just a random minx of everything from stems, bars, saddle bags, chainrings (you get the picture). A lot of it is stuff that’s not rubbish enough to throw away so I keep it thinking I might use it again. But the result is often losing things I want/need under all the other crap.

So looking to see some inspirational pictures or ideas from others about how to store all the bike related build up? 🙂

Thanks STWers!

james
    Free Member

better storage?
    split the bits up somehow (boxes, drawers, etc) so you can find stuff
    eg: scrap parts, parts, (little) spares
    ie, not a pile

I seem to end up arranging a lot of my spare parts into more complete bikes though

michaelmcc
    Free Member

better storage?

Any idea on which storage thingy to get and where from? 🙂

james
    Free Member

I just got some big plastic stackable storage boxes from asda (tried tesco but the selection in my local extra was poor and much pricier)
    Handlebars, wheels, forks, frames don’t fit in them

Garry_Lager

Clear it out mate. Seriously, if someone said I’ll give you £20 for that pile of shite on your garage table, you’d take their arm off. So you’re as well off sticking it all in the brown recycling bin out the back and basking in the orderliness of an uncluttered garage.

Trekster

Never had that problem. Stuff removed is normally knackered so gets binned. 😆

brodie
    Free Member

I take anything that is ‘too crap to sell but too good to throw away’ down to the Bristol Bike Project they get volunteers to build it all up into full bikes then sell them or give them to people who need them.

Beats throwing it away, I guess you would have a similar project near you.

crazy-legs

I’ve got a habit of keeping stuff that “might” come in useful, a couple of years later I’ll do another clearout and think “why on earth did I keep that crap?!” and it gets binned…

Sort of progressive clearout where it sits in limbo for a year. 😉
    Got a couple of crates which takes most stuff in a reasonably tidy fashion.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

dont keep spares, anything that comes off gets sold

bedmaker

I’m having an ebay/classifieds clearout frenzy at the moment and it feels good as space appears in the shed and the old (and not so old) clutter goes.
    I’ve also been guilty of keeping stuff ‘just in case’ but I’m being brutal now.

Stuff not worth the hassle of selling will go to a local bike project thingy.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

These Guys There are a number of charities that rebuild bikes for training and under-privaliged kids etc. Look up a scheme and see if they want the stuff

alexpalacefan

Bicycle recycling project.

Search for one near you here.

APF

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Sorting out all your bike related stuff that builds up over time?’ is closed to new replies.