Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • (sorry!) what is a good,quick way to clean your bike?
  • racefaceec90

i have an anthem x2,and find it the devil’s own job to clean the linkages e.t.c especially where the chainset is(i haven’t got any proper bike specific brushes yet though) i have tried an old toothbrush e.t.c but there is still places that i cannot get to. my method is to wait for the mud to dry then use an old towel to rub off the mud/use toothbrush to try and get to nooks/crannies) then use bike lube over the important parts. i do also use a garden hose on bike occasionally when it is really muddy.how do you keep your bike spick n span without spending hours on it?

philconsequence
    Free Member

spray bike with hose
    spray frame with fenwicks fs-1 (diluted)
    run chain through chain tool with fenwicks fs-1 (undiluted)
    spray bike with hose

bounce about on the floor to bump water off
    gt85 through chain and cassette to get rid of water
    leave bike to dry

lube chain before next ride.

takes no more than 10 minutes (not including drying tim that should be enjoyed with a beer/crackpipe in the sun)

EDIT – chain and cassette cleaning can be done much more thoroughly and include the use of various brushes, drying the frame can also be done using towels and a light wipe down of the frame with gt85 to polish the frame up/make it harder for mud to stick on the next ride…

just my method… everyone will be different 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you want to keep it clean, THE only way to do it is to keep cleaning it. There are no shortcuts, sorry (Other than jetwashing….not a good idea)

It’s a LOT easier to remove wet mud than dry, caked on mud though. And dry mud is like sandpaper on your paint too…..

uplink
    Free Member

Hot soapy water and a soft brush

[*]Wipe over with above and hose off, leave to dry

lube chain

put bike away[/*]

hilldodger
    Free Member

Spray chain/cogs with fenwicks purple foaming stuff, wash off
    Spray rest of bike with fenwicks purple non-foaming stuff, wash off
    Spray frame/cranks/mechs with gt85

””leave to dry/make tea””

lube chain with purple extreme, spin round and round, wipe of excess
    lube stanchions with silicone fork stuff, bounce up and down, wipe of excess

total time (excluding brew up) about 5 mins

”’finsih tea whilst admiring shiny goodness”’

Every now and then wheels get a special clean and chain gets removed for proper degreasing – adds may be 10 minutes to the above

I use a washing up brush for general cleaning and a “Pedros toothbrush” for chain/cassete/jockeys

oxym0r0n

As above – best to clean when wet…

Hose down
    Clean with sponge/toothbrush, kitchen brush for wheels, with diluted turtlewax cleaner
    Brush chain with citrus degreaser

Hose down again & leave to dry in a warm place

Lube with Rock & Roll

dave360

getting in amongst the linkages – toothbrush.

nedrapier

reminds me of something I heard at work ages ago:

Annoying team leader: “There’s the right way, the wrong way, and then there’s my way”

Sarky git “which is the wrong way, quickly.”

toab
    Free Member

PSA Morrisons do a 4 pack of value toothbrushes for 20p which are pretty good for getting into little fiddly bits. Bristles are nice and soft

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The area around the links on Giants is terrible for cleaning; perhaps the worst thing about their bikes.

epicyclo

If you want your bike to stay clean then polish it with a good quality car polish when it’s new or clean.

Then it’s easy to keep clean.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘(sorry!) what is a good,quick way to clean your bike?’ is closed to new replies.