Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Sorry, but I need a new phone.
  • zippykona

Following the calamity that is Words With Friends being dumped from Windows I need a new phone.
    It needs to be android and as easy to use as windows, have a bigger screen than an iPhone 4 and must most definitely have a cover you can pop off to change the battery.
    Budget is £150 and I’m on pay as you go.
    Not done Android before but what is the difference between a widget and an app?
    So better and bigger than an iPhone 4 please.

Jamie
    Free Member

Ignoring your battery request:

Moto G, 4G or regular.

muggomagic

I’m sure plenty on here would recommend the moto g. It does have a rear cover that pops off but this doesn’t give you access to the battery.
    You can always buy a portable USB battery pack and use that if necessary.

Edit: a widget is like a tile on one of your home screens that gives you info rather than opening the app. Eg weather widget displays the weeks weather.

BoardinBob

+1 Moto G

Get the new one with the SD card slod. Brilliant phone. No idea why anyone would pay more for an S5 or iPhone

Northwind

Think I’m about to get a Moto G too. Didn’t know they’d added SD compatibility, that’s the one thing that was putting me off but even without that it seems ace tbh.

Simon

Got a Moto G a week ago as a replacement for a Motorola Razri that stopped working, that in turn was a replacement for another Razri that was also faulty.

If the Moto G proves reliable I think I’ll be happy with it. It feels nice, battery life is good, and I’ve put all the apps on that I need and not filled the memory. Would have liked an SD card slot so I could easily put some music on and the camera is ok but not the best.

zippykona

I currently carry a spare battery in my wallet would any of these backup things be as small?

loddrik
    Free Member

Get the new one with the SD card slod. Brilliant phone. No idea why anyone would pay more for an S5 or iPhone

Because android is shite.

zippykona

Loddrik if a 5 cost £150 and you could change the battery I would buy two!

Yak

I’ll watch these recommendations too with interest. Just finishing a contract running blackberry. Going to now embrace android or windows, but haven’t really started the research.

I’m a clumsy idiot and probably break a phone they fail somehow every 6months or so, so something robust.

muggomagic

Because android is shite.

Someone is obviously a little bored this morning. 🙄

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

As for the robustness comment

I take a different view. I have a Lumia 520 Windows Phone. They cost around £50 in good condition on eBay or £75/80 new

You can also sell one with a broken screen for £25-30 on eBay.

So if I drop it and the screen breaks, I just get another and sell the old one – net cost ~£20-25?

zippykona

Mr Hero windows doesn’t do my scrabble app anymore. I know the 8.1s can get it but for how long?

ratadog

Another Moto G user here. Using an Otterbox case to provide protection. Ideally, I would prefer an SD slot and a changeable battery but overall I am not prepared to pay through the nose to get them. In reality I can only remember ever replacing battery in phone on one occasion and said phone was by that stage on its third user.

zippykona

Ratdog , I use my phone a lot at trade shows and being able to pop a fresh battery in is a god send.
    Having a battery pack poking out the bottom of the phone is a pain as well.
    Those battery cases are a good idea for really busy days. Do they make them for the Motorola?

househusband

Think I’m about to get a Moto G too. Didn’t know they’d added SD compatibility, that’s the one thing that was putting me off but even without that it seems ace tbh.

Moto E has the SD slot but has a lesser spec than the Moto G; , less integrated memory, lower screen resolution and leseer processor.

Both Mrs hh and I have Moto G’s after kids at school recommended them; great battery life and very robust. The camera is perfectly reasonable for my needs.

Simon

I think the 4g Moto G has an SD card slot.

househusband

I think the 4g Moto G has an SD card slot.

Indeed it does – forgot about that phone!

muggomagic

You could go for a 2nd hand Samsung Galaxy S3

apj
    Free Member

Have a Moto E which is probably too small screen size for you, but does have an SD card. Back cover is removable but battery is not. Also, screen is ok but not great and the camera is terrible, fixed focus, which I should have realised before buying it! The actual functionality of the phone is good though, so may get a Moto G and keep the E as a “spare” 🙂

jimoiseau
    Free Member

Not sure this is allowed here, but in the interests of suggesting something that actually fits the criteria you listed, the Samsung Galaxy Ace 3 is £140 on Amazon (or about 150 from anywhere that pays tax) and has a replaceable battery and 4 inch screen. It unfortunately runs Samsund Android rather than stock.

If by “must most definitely have a cover you can pop off to change the battery” you meant “I don’t mind a phone with a captive, unreplacable battery” then I’d still reccommend going for a used Nexus 4 rather than a Moto G, especially if you don’t need 4G.

brassneck

must most definitely have a cover you can pop off to change the battery.

Do phones still do that?

Extension batteries (external) are cheap as chips and smaller than a tube of Smarties, wouldn’t that be fine between charges?

muggomagic

Yeah portable battery packs are so cheap. Leave it plugged in in the bag while not in use. I got a 12000 mah one from eBay for £10. Charge it up and use it when away for the weekend camping to keep phone, light and garmin charged up.

Northwind

So, hmm, shopping for phones is orrible. Especially when you’re looking for a Moto G 4G and you’re drowning in the old versions. So does anyone feel like rewarding my laziness and recommend a deal? I’m not an intense user so payg, sim-free, or perhaps a very low use contract…

Tesco at £145? (plus clubcard points and that)

jambalaya
    Free Member

No idea why anyone would pay more for an S5 or iPhone

@BoardingBob – because it runs iOS, it works well with all my other Apple devices and I have lots of apps and ater many years of Apple products working well I have strong brand loyalty

zippykona

unfortunately runs Samsund Android rather than stock

Excuse my ignorance but how does that differ to normal android ?

sweepy
    Free Member

Northwind, I bought (i thought) a moto g 4g last night for £155 from amazon. Apparently I didn’t click buy now, just as well cos today it was under £140.
    If you get one make sure you can put an sd card in, 2 shops tried to sell me the wrong one

nickswolves
    Free Member

4G Moto G for reasons stated above – best value for money phone by a mile!

Northwind

Boo, out of stock at amazon. Cheers though sweepy! Off to Tesco

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Excuse my ignorance but how does that differ to normal android ?

Each hardware manufacturer can add a customisation layer to android, this allows them to add extra features that others don’t have. Some like Samsungs, others don’t I didn’t really have a problem with it on an S3.

zippykona

Would the s3 or Motorola be better for watching the Tour by with wifi?
    Our iPad is great whereas my wife’s iPhone 4 can only manage a few seconds before stopping.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Is the RAZR 4G any good?

boxelder

Lass at school set her bag on fire leaving booster battery job by plugged in.
    Just saying……

welshfarmer

I have had one of these for 6 months or so and the price is now about in your ballpark

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-S7710-Galaxy-Xcover-Smartphone-Grey/dp/B00BG458C4

Essentially a ruggedised S2/S3 hybrid in spec and performance. Easily removed rear cover to access battery and SD card. Takes pics underwater to 1 m so pretty waterproof! And should be able to take a 2m drop onto concrete but not tried it yet! Check the tests on You tube. I am more than happy with the phone. Bigger screen than the Iphone but not stupid large in you pocket.

scruff
    Free Member

What are the cheaper Sony phones like?

andymc06
    Free Member

I’ve been looking into this recently as I fancy buying outright and going sim only. I was looking at the Nexus 5 at around £300. Is it worth the extra over the Moto G?

zippykona

Got an as new S3 off ebay and its very good.
    Flawless viewing of the cycling and a nice big screen for the scrabble.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Sorry, but I need a new phone.’ is closed to new replies.