Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Sonos playbar reviews..
  • renton
    Free Member

Just wondering if any of you on here have a Sonos playbar and if so can you give me your honest opinions on it.

Is there anything about it that annoys you and also how have you got it connected up to your tv etc.

Cheers

Steve

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I have one as part of my 5.1 setup.

Sounds great but the one thing I don’t like is the lack of hdmi input, only optical audio input which has meant I’ve had to run my xb1/Sky/tv through an optical switch which needs to be switched over to match the source I’m watching.

renton
    Free Member

Thanks for that, do you lose and sound quality doing it through a switch ?

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Not at all.

I bought it primarily to use as a tv surround system but to also stream music but now we have it we spend more time streaming via Apple music than watching tv.

I initially thought I’d made an expensive mistake thinking I could have got something similar for less money, but after living with it for a while the sound quality it gives along with versatility of the setup is more than worth it. Given the choice again I’d 100% buy it.

lowey

Yep, I got one.

Really impressive sound. Connects via optical and wifi. I stream Deezer through it and TV permanently connected.

Very expensive but really versatile.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I looked at one a while back but the lack of hdmi put me off. You could connect it to the telly optical out if you have one but I think a lot of them don’t pass through the full 5.1. Lack of hdmi is an odd omission for something that’s meant to be part of an AV system. Went for one of the Yamaha YSP ones instead and I’ll just connect a sonos amp if I need it.

The ability to pair it up with other sonos speakers for surround is nice though.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

One thing to consider is that if you do go for the playbar then later decide to add a sub, it will have to be a Sonos sub as you’re unable to add any other brand (that I’m aware of).

mrblobby
    Free Member

One thing to consider is that if you do go for the playbar then later decide to add a sub, it will have to be a Sonos sub as you’re unable to add any other brand (that I’m aware of).

Unless you have an AV amp upstream. That could work.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I honestly couldn’t say, when I was looking to buy it a lot of people on the Sonos forums where getting quite animated at the fact they couldn’t add any other sub but a Sonos.

I’m no expert but i would have thought there would be a way to add another brand of sub.

captmorgan
    Free Member

Unless you have an AV amp upstream. That could work.

How would you connect the AVR to the sonos and what would you use the AVR for other than gaining a sub out?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well I guess if you have multiple HDMI streams you’d somehow want to switch between them. Maybe you just use the TV with multiple HDMI inputs for that, but then TV’s don’t often have that many inputs and don’t correctly pass through the full audio stream if you want to take the optical out from the back of the telly. Does feel like functionality that really should have been part of the playbar.

jon1973
    Free Member

Never understood why they don’t put a few HDMI ports on it. It must put a lot of people off, not really being able to use it as an AV amp that you can just run everything though.

toby1

I have one as part of my 5.1 setup.

Do you just use as a centre, or the centre and front left/right channel?

renton
    Free Member

As I understand it the playbar acts as centre and left/right speakers.

Im looking to connect my tv to it via the optical and then all that’s connected to the TV will be either a firestick or sky box.

Ive bought a wireless hard drive that will have all my music/movies on that will be streamed to the sonos set up.

Having heard and been very impressed with the sonos sub that is the only one I will be adding !!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I have one and love it, mainly for music.

Our setup is very simple, just a TV, humax box and Chromecast. But bothered about 5.1 but as stated the surround is limited by the TVs ability (or not) to pass 5.1 from HDMI to optical.

Sound is great for a sound bar, not as good as separates but loads simpler and less clutter.

Also worth noting once connected via WiFi the 2 LAN ports let you connect stuff, so I have TV and humax connected here and using the Sonos wireless for Internet.

Brilliant kit, but pricey. I fancy a sub but they are even more expensive.

renton
    Free Member

What happens if your TV doesn’t do 5.1 pass through.
    Does the Playbar have a converter built in or something ?

Seems a bit pointless if your TV is fine but doesn’t pass 5.1 through the optical port to allow for surround sound?

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Luckily my tv does pass 5.1, but I run an optical cable from each source ie xb1/Sky/TV to the optical splitter then to the playbar bypassing the tv.

I say my TV does pass 5.1, it will from the TVs apps such as Netflix but not via any hdmi source which is fed to it, which from what I’ve read/been told on here is a licensing issue.

It’s an arse about tit way of having to do it.

simon_g

They’re a good fit for a certain type of person.

If you care about price/value then there are plenty of cheaper soundbars, many of which will happily stream music off your phone via bluetooth as well as do the TV stuff.

If you’re an AV nerd and care about connections and codecs and all that then the limitations may bother you. I don’t think it makes much sense once you start adding the sub, surround speakers, etc – you may as well go for a regular home cinema setup then add a Sonos Connect if you want their streaming magic in that room.

In the middle though, there’s lots of people who are very happy with an excellent soundbar that connects with a minimum of wiring and fuss to make their TV sound good and do all the nice Sonos music stuff too. I know a few people who’ve ditched the AV receiver and loads of speakers for one (usually once they have small kids) and still been happy with the result.

renton
    Free Member

This ^^^^^^^ is me, Ive sold all my av gear as I dont want loads of wires all around the room and also I dont want lots of boxes under the TV.

toby1

Whereas I have no kids to concern myself with and prefer to have a full range of speakers and separates.

Those I know with the Playbar rate it, but I prefer my centre and standmounted left/right channel.

It’s definitely not the tidier solution though, but it sounds good 🙂

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I know a few people who’ve ditched the AV receiver and loads of speakers for one (usually once they have small kids) and still been happy with the result.

This!
    Dumped 7 bits of kit – speakers, amp, switch, miles of cable. The playbar has one light that you can turn off from the app, so no temptation for messing, no spiked floorstanders to topple or rock onto a little foot!

Also,it only really makes sense if you want multiroom and have more ‘zones’.

mrblobby
    Free Member

in the middle though, there’s lots of people who are very happy with an excellent soundbar that connects with a minimum of wiring and fuss to make their TV sound good and do all the nice Sonos music stuff too. I know a few people who’ve ditched the AV receiver and loads of speakers for one (usually once they have small kids) and still been happy with the result.

This is me too! Which is why I went for a Yamaha YSP2500. Very good soundbar with a proper AV receiver (with all the right inputs) and a decent separate (and wireless if you want it to be) sub.

tinybits
    Free Member

Interesting. I’m just about to take the Sonos plunge but the playbar and sub is pretty expensive. That Yamaha and a Sonos connect would come in about £500 cheaper – and I suspect other than switching the Yamaha onto the right input, would actually give better sound. I’m not after 5.1, just want to fill the house with music, it shut it off / play something different in different rooms with ease.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Have a look at Chromecast Audio if you don’t want Sonos. The Connect is very expensive for what it does. I have one, but for further expansions I’m using Chromecast Audio on the line in of the Sonos Connect as a bit of a patch, then further Chromecasts.

A ‘full’* Sonos house is very simple and enjoyable though, no messing with inputs ever.

* playbar, 5, 1 and Connect

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Sonos playbar reviews..’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM