Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Son assaulted at school – get police involved?
  • wwaswas

I won’t go into the ins and outs of it but a boy 2 years older than him hit him round the head 10-15 times in an unprovoked attack. Other than trying to ward off blows my son didn’t try and fight back (he thought he’d get in trouble if he did).

The incident was video’d by some of the attackers friends and has been seen by a member of staff but they gave the phone back (d’oh!) and it has now been deleted.

Anyway, schools disciplinary policy is likely to lead to exclusion of the other boy for a period of time, but not permanently.

School have suggested we contact the police ‘if we want to’ as they feel it was a serious assault and it wasn’t ‘2 boys having a fight’.

He’s home now and we’ll take him to the Dr’s later but he doesn’t seem to be badly hurt – most of the punches that connected were to the side of this head.

My son’s 13 if it makes any difference.

So, police or just deal with it through school?

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Yes, because if the older lad doesn’t get to understand consequences he’ll be the kind of mindless **** who walks around on a saturday night doing this for fun.

Even better if school are supporting you taking it to the police, as some schools will see this as “just bullying”, and discourage police involvement.

project
    Free Member

Sounds like waterloo road BBC1 wednesday night.

Dont kids fight anymore, involving the police will give the other kid a potentialy criminal record, and your son may well be bulied more.

cb

Yes – no question. Assume school pushing ahead with its own procedures anyway?

cb

Project – the other kid committed a criminal act – why shouldn’t he get a record? Read the OP – it wasn’t “just a fight”.

nickc

Follow your school’s advice

wwaswas

cb – yes – been very pro-active really, can’t fault them so far, they have a police liason officer who they’ve involved as well.

Half term next week may put a brake on everything at their end though.

Son’s slightly takign the ‘keep my head down and let it blow over’ approach but I’m not sure if that’s cause he doesn’t want to m’ake a fuss’.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

as a teacher i say yes – police every time imo

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

The other lad might well be known to police already, so if this just adds to his list then so what? If it is the start of his criminal lifestyle, then it might deter him (hah, some hope I’d guess)

KINGTUT
    Free Member

You could do what what my dad did, which was to get hold of the ‘older’ bully, and smack him a few times, it worked as from that day on I never had any more trouble.

However your school seems to have guide lines and a police liaison officer (do all schools have these nowadays?)so as above go with their advice.

duckman

As a teacher; First,the other boy will not get a police record as he is 15,clean slate at 16.If you feel it is serious enough,contact the police.The issue for me would be if it was an isolated incident,or the the worst of a number of times he has picked on your lad.If it is an on-going issue’ scream long and loud about it.Write to the director of ed/head of guvs,they will bring down unwanted heat on senior management.Senior staff,despite what people would like to believe are very busy and do not have time to deal with an incident as fully as it might merit.Threats of taking it further usually help them to prioritise.

warton
    Free Member

yes.
    If it was two lads having a fight and your son came off worse then no, but this sounds like a proper unprovoked assault.

wwaswas

KINGTUT – my first reaction was to track the lad down and give him a good kicking. It does tend to send mixed messages about what’s the ‘right’ thing to do, though, so we’ll probably stick to official sanctions.

wwaswas

duckman – it’s the first time but texts were sent subsequently to other people threatening that it wouldn’t be the last. This more than anything is what’s pushing me to seriously consider police action.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

KINGTUT – my first reaction was to track the lad down and give him a good kicking. It does tend to send mixed messages about what’s the ‘right’ thing to do, though, so we’ll probably stick to official sanctions.

I completely agree.

deserter
    Free Member

find out a bit more about the kid from your son, if he is a proper scrote all you will do is boost his rep/ego
    if he isn’t then it might be worth it to go to the police

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Back in the day, I was told by my parents to stand up for myself. Guve someone bigger then you a beating after they start on you and everyone leaves you alone after that.

I suggested this to someone who had a kid that was in my position, and was very surprised to be told you can’t do that any more (Stand up for yourself) or you’ll get in trouble/suspended! So I can see what the lad in this case is on about.

You can’t let them get away with it though, not ever.

bigyinn
    Free Member

This sort of thing needs nipping in the bud before it gets out of hand. Are the bully’s parents likely to be responsive to a grown up chat about whats going on?

MrNutt
    Free Member

go and have a word with the lad concerned but keep hold of your temper. Just make it clear what will happen to him if he thinks he can get away with this.

and talk to the police.

don’t entertain any form of “apology” or such lefty nonsense, tell the lad that if the police & school don’t punish him you will be. That should teach him an important enough lesson.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

My step-son got bullied by a boy at school, so I told him the next time to hit him back as hard as he could in the face and if the teacher said anything to ring me. I got a call the next day from the Head Mistress and had to go to the school and explain my actions/theory. Saying that, the bully never came anywhere near my lad again 🙂

Bozza
    Free Member

Go and speak to the local police beat manager first, he should outline the options to you and the possible outcomes. The beat manager might know the kid who attacked yours, and know a pattern of his behaviour.

I would not advise going to the kids house, it can effect your kids proceedings if you do want police involvement. The police can still ‘have a word’ with the attacker. This is done by means of ‘Restorative Justice’, its gets the ‘harmer’ to explain his actions to the ‘harmed’ and then agree to a action plan. This could be a visit to the police station,etc. A good beat manager will freak the living daylights out of the harmer so you should never hear of him again. This level of police involvement is the lowest possible. No criminal record,etc. Some people think its a way to gloss of the actual issue, it just depends on how well it is delivered.

yossarian
    Free Member

The school needs to deal with this first and foremost. An attack that they describe as serious should fall under their safeguarding policy and procedures. Personally I’d avoid police involvement at this stage unless your lad is scared/injured.

Nothing worse for your lad than to be labelled a grass. Maybe take him to a self defence class or martial art training?

If you get nowhere with the school then go to the governors and mention ofsted…

MrNutt
    Free Member

This is done by means of ‘Restorative Justice’, its gets the ‘harmer’ to explain his actions to the ‘harmed’ and then agree to a action plan.

this is exactly what I disagree with, its a system designed to make adults feel like they have resolved the situation in a modern and free thinking way. If the “harmer” is in anyway “hardened” or harbors feelings of resentment or distrust of authority he’ll play along and then on walking out pledge to himself to do worse next time, these are adolescents not straight thinking community responsible young adults. Bring back corporal punishment. etc etc

Spongebob
    Free Member

A classic example of caving in to bullies……..

project – Member

Sounds like waterloo road BBC1 wednesday night.

Dont kids fight anymore, involving the police will give the other kid a potentialy criminal record, and your son may well be bulied more.

Definitely involve the police! The school will be willing you to do that and the other “kid” isn’t a kid! A 15 year old is on the cusp of being old enough to father a child, use a motor vehicle etc. He’s pretty much an adult and so deserves a criminal record if he’s assaulted a 13 year old for no reasone other to provide his mates with some video entertainment!! If further bullying occurs, then take the school to task.

These situations are never easy, but making a stand is appropriate. Limp dick responses from people like project is just what the bullies rely on.

Stand firm!

BluePalomino
    Free Member

My 12 yo nephew was in this exact situation. Happened on school property after school day. Was taken to hospital for a check up etc etc. School weren’t going to do anything, but under pressure from my brother, they finally excluded the bully. He was back after 4 days for ‘good behaviour’! and back bullying. In the end my brother decided to keep his son off of school. Then he was the one in trouble for ‘being truant’. My nephew was seriously traumatised, refused to go to school point blank. School then got Education Welfare Officers involved for the ‘truancy’ but still didn’t get involved over the assualt 🙂 Initial enquiry to the police was “prob not worth pursuing unless you have witnesses etc”. He now goes to another school.

Bozza
    Free Member

Each incident needs to be looked at on its own merits. Agreed ‘Restorative Justice’ or RJ(?!)dosn’t work with some kids. Those kids who are stealing cars and breaking into houses.

Speak to the local police beat manager who works closely with the school.

Don’t expect the attacker to get locked up though…isn’t it 3 burglaries before you do time. Its a joke.

anagallis_arvensis

another teacher here saying yes involve police especially if its not a one off

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Tell the police, don’t approach the lad Who hit your son yourself. The difficulty is it could make things harder fir your son if he is labelled a grass, the teacher who handed the phone back needs a ticking off aswell. If your son fights back he will end up in trouble.

higgo
    Free Member

What is the role of the police school liaison officer here? Can they not advise/decide on whether this is worth looking at from a criminal point of view.

Also, the deleted video(s) may well be recoverable.

higgo
    Free Member

And don’t approach the other child (or family) yourself.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I have a simple question for you.

I’m 40, if a bloke I work with of 42 came up and hit me lots, the guys here videoed it and my boss suspended the guy for a few days do you think I’d call the police or not?

CALL THE POLICE AND PRESS CHARGES. FFS.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Yes. Go to the police. Secondly, get the name of the specimen who filmed said attack. Just because the video has been deleted doesn’t mean that the police (or anyone with a bit of technical savvy) can’t get the video back.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

This cowardly attack was done for kicks and laughs, if it’s not resolved the attacks get bigger. It’s been proved so many times in the pathetic happy slap culture. School has changed so much. I hope your sons ok.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Oh and by the way that whole “don’t be a grass” thing is such a load of cobblers, be a grass, school is a place for learning not being assulted.

At he very least they will think twice before picking on your boy again.

wwaswas

Wife off to school to get further details but boy has been excluded (not sure for how long).

My sister’s a police inspector so I’ll be having a chat with her about any experience she has in this area.

joolsburger
    Free Member

The fact your sister is a copper is a fairly salient fact eh?

Why are you asking us you nutter?

damo2576
    Free Member

I think the fact that it was an older kid is a big issue for me – the mis-match of it would really wind me up. 15 vs 13 is a massive difference, not that it would have been ok of course if it was another 13 year old – but I would have been more likely to put that down to ‘normal’ playground fights.

That’s what would push me toward the police route.

wwaswas

because I think my sister may be biased in favour of involving the police 😉

joolsburger
    Free Member

You don’t say…. 😕

damo2576
    Free Member

Out of interest do you think about kicking the s*it out of the kid yourself?

Obviously you wouldn’t and doing so would make you worse than the kid – but I often think that if anyone hurt my daugher I would go fcking ballistic.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Son assaulted at school – get police involved?’ is closed to new replies.