Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Somewhere interesting to go for a week at short notice?
  • nicko74

I've found out I have about 10 days to kill between jobs, and briefly thought about getting on a tour to North Korea – as something I've wanted to do for ages, and suddenly have time to do. It's too expensive for me at the moment though (about £2500 including flights), so what other interesting places are there I could go to at the end of July for a week that I wouldn't otherwise visit?

So far I've wondered about:
    – driving up to Scotland with the bike to find Innerleithen, Kirroughtree etc
    – getting a flight to Iceland, doing the stuff to do there
    – um
    – Gibraltar? Never been, always been vaguely curious about it.

Whaddaya reckon?

yunki
    Free Member

Iraq…
    My stepdads folks were forever jetting off on their hols to places that had recently been warzones..

They were very old.. maybe they were trying to save money.. or get kidnapped? Maybe they were spies of some description…

Do it though.. get some good photos and all the ladies will think that you're a sensitive.. adventurous humanitarian.

nicko74

lol love the sensitive adventurous humanitarian aspect – although the missus will just think I'm potty. I could go along to my local army recruiting office and see if I can do a 'try before you sign up' week in Iraq, save a few bob 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Iceland if you can afford it I reckon…looks bloody ace.

vinnyeh

A week or so in Egypt- diy, not tour, either down the Nile, or out to the Western Desert/Alamein/Alexandria/Siwa. Needs to be done at some stage in your life I reckon.
    Cheap, lots to see. Crap food. Guaranteed to be good weather.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

southern france

alexxx
    Free Member

go to the alps riding? easy!

scu98rkr
    Free Member

skeggy ? Bognor ?

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Why not just a trip round europe ? Try and see as many places as possible for as little money as possible ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

in a week – come to scotland if you never have done – ride tweed valley and carn ban mor

molgrips
    Free Member

I'd avoid North Korea after hearing the woman who won the non fiction book prize on the radio this morning. Terrible stories 🙁

Gibraltar is fun – the rock's got a truly amazing view, and the town stuffed between centuries of military relics is quite good, but I wouldn't stay there for 10 days. Any 10 day trip would really be a visit to Andalucia.

corroded
    Free Member

Iceland's cool (Reykjavik especially) but not sure if I'd want to spend whole week there. And the 24hr daylight might drive you a bit nuts.

A week puts a lot more places in range. Personally, I'd love to go to New York, Cape Cod etc. But closer to home top choices would be:

NW Spain, Picos de Europa, Asturias: great cities with the Guggenheim etc, great food, biking, surfing, a bit out of the way.

or

bike tour of south or west Ireland

konabunny
    Free Member

Fly into Gibraltar, 1-2 days there, then ferry from Tarifa to Tangiers, then tootle down to Casablanca and Marrakesh, fly back on EasyJet?

Fly to Krakow, 1-2 days there (Auschwitz and medieval city), overnight sleeper train to Budapest, 1-2 days there, train to Zagreb, 1-2 days there, then train or bus to Istria 1-2 days there, and hydrofoil/ferry to Venice and fly home on Ryanair from cheap airport?

BigJohn

Tarifa is one of my favourite places. Stop there for a few days and learn to windsurf/kitesurf.

Watch the eagles and vultures on the cliffs. Because the Tarifa Strait is the narrowst piece of water between Europe and Africa about 90% of migrating birds cross there. I don't know what the eagles think they're going to get out of it.

nedrapier

Norway? I'm off tonight. See you there? 🙂

konabunny
    Free Member

How about Ireland? Train and ferry there, it's great, it's close, it's pretty cheap.

tron
    Free Member

Croatia. It's roasting and gorgeous.

nicko74

Cheers for the input – much appreciated! 🙂 Iceland looks great; there's a chance I might go with the missus, so I reckon I might save that one for now.
    Riding in Spain – obviously an option, and one I should consider.
    My sister suggested Croatia, although there's so much to do that 4-5 days wouldn't do it justice.
    konabunny – think you might have something there… 🙂

toys19
    Free Member

alps bike go

gusamc
    Free Member

cehck out Sunsail and Neilson sites (sailing/windsurfing/biking etc) some deals to be had (*I think)

if you're under 40 try UCPA (French system)

b_man
    Free Member

a week in new zealand will only set you back £1500… bugger of a flight though

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Somewhere interesting to go for a week at short notice?’ is closed to new replies.